Author Topic: House name sign  (Read 3882 times)

Offline ven

House name sign
« on: August 22, 2014, 06:01:23 AM »
I want to make  a house name sign to fix on the gate post.  Letters to be about 50mm high and the backing plate about 150 high x 450mm long.  For easier cleaning I might stand off the letters with a couple of 2mm thick stainless steel distance pieces to each letter.
I guess that the best material to tolerate sunlight and the weather generally would be uPVC (sic) as used in double glazing. Where can I get such a small quantity in both black and white?
What would be a good weatherproof adhesive?
Any advice would be welcome.
Thanks.

Offline Bluechip

• Madmodder Committee
  • Derbyshire UK
Re: House name sign
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2014, 02:10:14 PM »
Ven ..

[1] Where are you ? It would help.

[2] uPVC ? The only 'thick' section I've seen is used for internal window cills and has a sort of spongy core.

Assuming you're from UK:

[3] Try Direct Plastics Online [ Sheffield ]  They have all sorts of sheet stuff in relatively small sizes.

http://www.directplastics.co.uk/

[4] Why adhesive? Why not small screws ? Many plastics are sods to glue with any reliability.

http://www.shop4glue.com/

Dave BC

I have a few modest talents. Knowing what I'm doing isn't one of them.

Offline ven

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2014, 06:05:59 PM »
Thanks for the reply.
I live a few miles from the A1 in Lincs.
I wanted to avoid visible screw heads so I thought that stainless steel screws into blind holes in the back of the thick uPVC letters would be easier than having to make plastic covering plugs for the front and then having to polish them flat without including a visible ring of dirt.  I don't know how easy it is to get a mirror polish on uPVC.
It will be obvious that I am out of date with regard to modern plastic materials and their adhesives.
I will try the firms that you suggest.
Thanks again.

Offline Meldonmech

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2014, 06:29:17 AM »

Hi Ven, I would use Polyacetal sheet available in both black and white.  This can be bought on eBay in 8mm thickness and various sizes under " ACETAL SHEET ".   it can be machined eg. turned, milled, drilled and and tapped.  It does not adhere very well  in my experience, but the letters could be as you suggested tapped and held from the back using screws. I would not advise raising the letters for cleaning, where I live it would quickly provide a home for spiders.

Good luck

Cheers David