Author Topic: BMW E28  (Read 13839 times)

Offline DavidA

BMW E28
« on: September 27, 2014, 02:04:39 PM »
I'm thinking of writing a running log (Sort of blog) about the rebuild of by 1986 BMW 518i.

It will be a rather prolonged thread, with lots of gaps where nothing happens.
Pictures will, naturally,  be provided.

As I don't know whether this kind of project is really acceptable here I thought that I had best ask for views from the rest of you.

Dave.

Offline Stilldrillin

• Global Moderator
  • Staveley, Derbyshire. England.
Re: BMW E28
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2014, 05:33:36 PM »
I'm thinking of writing a running log (Sort of blog) about the rebuild of by 1986 BMW 518i.

It will be a rather prolonged thread, with lots of gaps where nothing happens.
Pictures will, naturally,  be provided.

As I don't know whether this kind of project is really acceptable here I thought that I had best ask for views from the rest of you.

Dave.

Why not?  :scratch:

It's a Modderfication project. And, an insite into the pain and pleasure of rebuilding your BMW......

Go for it Dave!  :thumbup:

David D
David.

Still drilling holes... Sometimes, in the right place!

Still modifying bits of metal... Occasionally, making an improvement!

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2014, 07:06:32 PM »
Yup. Please do a log. We are interested!
Science is fun.

We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.

Offline DavidA

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2014, 07:46:27 AM »
Ok.
First, A bit of history.

A long time ago I worked as a maintenance fitter for a local chicken processing company.  This involved getting called out during the night to fix a variety of problems that were stopping production.  So I needed a reliable car.  But it had to be cheap.

Initially I had the Citroen BX that I alluded to elsewhere,  but it's Heisenberg braking system tried to kill me one night, so I felt it time for a swap.

Enter the BMW.

This car looked very good on the forecourt. No obvious rust.  It drove well and , apart from a whine in bottom gear,  seemed reasonable.  I parted with £999 and drove it home. My daughters thought it the best thing since sliced bread and even my wife liked it.

Next morning it wouldn't start.

And this is where I made my big mistake.  Any sensible person would have got the vendor to take it back and return the money,  But as I was a mechanic,  I fixed the fault (no power to the fuel pump) and kept it.
It ran ok for the first three month.  Then I started getting problems with the engine not responding to the  accelerator properly. It turned out to be a sticky Mass Air Flow valve.  But by now I was getting fed up with the deteriorating reliability.  So I bought another Citroen, This time a ZX Diesel,  and we lived happily for years together. The BMW was put out to graze on the end of the drive closest to the shed and left to rust in peace. This turned out to be a move that had mixed blessings,  as you will find out.
I recently looked at the old tax disk and it read 0602.  So this 28 year old car had sat there for about 12 years.  But then (in August 2014) I bought my latest toy,  The Denford Viceroy. And that is the real start of the story.

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2014, 10:19:28 AM »
I find rebuilding cars fun. OFC, I like to make them "different" than the factory had ever intended. Put my own touches on them. The older ones are fun because they are easier to mod. A friend of mine wants to get an older BMW and drop a chevy 350 in it. He calls it "James Bond with kids"

What are your plans for this one?

Eric
Science is fun.

Offline AdeV

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2014, 11:24:21 AM »
Old car + Lathe =  :proj:

I may be a bit biased, speaking of which, time to go update my old build log...
Cheers!
Ade.
--
Occasionally: Zhengzhou, China. An even longer way from anywhere...

Offline DavidA

« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2014, 12:50:25 PM »
Eric,

a 350 powered BMW.  Sounds scary.

My aim is to get my car back to original. Even keep the steel wheels and the BMW hubcaps.  There is a plan to fit a Citroen 1.8 Diesel purely from the economy point of view.  Both BMW and Citroen engines are canted over at about the same angle and in the same direction,  so apart from the need of a sandwich adapter plate and a new front mount for the XUD engine it shouldn't be too hard.

Ade,

Let's see the updates.  I need all the inspiration I can get.

On with the story.

So I bought this lathe.  Problem now was that the BMW and it's successor the Citroen ZX, were between the gate and the shed. How to the the lathe into the shed ?

Time for some serious thinking.
The Citroen starts up ok and will drive out. But have to be careful as there is bad corrosion around the front suspension tops and I don't want them to break out and ruin the otherwise good body, (future project; all part of the master plan). The BMW will start,  but the high pressure fuel lines are rotten and are weeping fuel.  Big risk of them blowing out and spraying petrol everywhere.
But wait!  My brother has a tow hook on his car. There's still a problem.  Our local police are not known for their sense of humour. So I dare not leave the cars out on the road overnight.

The morning arrives. so does brother.  We tow out the BMW.  Drive out the Citroen.  The wagon arrives with the lathe and uses it's hiab to pace the machine about half way down the drive.
We spend the next few hours moving the lathe into the shed. Drive the Citroen down to the shed doors and place the BMW on the paved area where I can get a good look at it and decide on it's future.
Below are a few pics of the task in hand.

« Last Edit: September 29, 2014, 03:45:49 PM by DavidA »

Offline DavidA

« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2014, 01:13:54 PM »
After giving the car a serious coat of looking-at, I decided to give it a go.

The floor pan and most of the body work is not too bad.  But where it is bad it is rotten.  There is a lot of surface corrosion on the sub frames and rear suspension parts.  But nothing that copious amounts of elbow grease can't deal with.

I ordered up a new front of-side wing,  both sills,  both rear wheel arches and a front apron.  Total cost about £240 . There is a very good company who import this bodywork from Denmark.

So,  where to start ? Start at the back and work forward.

First job,  remove all the rear suspension etc.  This will allow easy access when replacing the fuel lines and fitting new brake lines.

Offline DavidA

« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2014, 02:28:09 PM »
Just a bit more on the background to this project.

While my car was quietly rotting away on my drive there was another one very similar that I used to pass occasionally on a street close to me.

It was a dark blue 520i. just a year younger than my own. The same E28 body but with the bigger straight six engine.
One day it was found to be parked up in the owners garden with a 'for sale' notice on the windscreen. I think the price was £600.

It sat there for a few weeks then disappeared.  Only to reappear just down the street from me.
The lad who bought it replaced the same wing as I am having problems with, and the same front apron. But it looks fabulous.

That is what pushed me into re building my 518i. These cars are quite rare these days,  and to have two runners on the same street is very unusual.

Got to stick with the master plan.

Dave.

Offline DavidA

« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2014, 07:19:06 AM »
Succeeded in removing all (with the exception of one shock absorber) of the rear suspension.
Surprisingly all the bolts came free with very little effort. Good German steel.
With the suspension out of the way I can now replace the fuel lines and make a start on fixing the bodywork.
Fist though, the suspension needs to be de-rusted and painted.

Below are a few pics of the suspension as it is now. The last picture is a before and after comparison of the tie bars.

Dave

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2014, 08:43:25 AM »
...argh .... all that lot reminds me why I don't like working on cars  :lol:
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2014, 12:42:08 AM »
So what did you do to the tie bars to restore them? Looks pretty nice...
Science is fun.

Offline DavidA

« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2014, 05:16:31 AM »
Eric,

I scraped off all the loose rust with an old chisel and the edge of a file.  Then used course abrasive tape to get right down to the surface.
After having removed as much as I could this way I painted the whole thing with Lock-tite Rust Remedy, a phosphoric acid rust neutraliser.,  scrubbing it in with wire wool.

Left it to work it's magic for 48 hours then went over the whole thing with 120 grade abrasive and finally gave it two coats of the green outdoor paint that you get from Aldi.  This paint has a rust preventative in it and seems to work very well.  Also it is tough.

With the bigger items I will use my power tools to de rust.

One thing I will mention.  When I did the propeller shaft I discovered that someone had lathered it with wax oil at some time in the distant past.  They had done a pretty hit or miss job of this and the result was that where the wax oil had been applied, the paint underneath was in almost new condition.  The rest was lightly corroded.

But removing the dried out wax oil was a real pain. It just kept coming back.
I finished up scraping it all away.  Then used panel wipe to remove the remaining coating.  And it still kept re appearing. It took ages to get it all away.
In future I think I will burn it off with a blow lamp.

Oh what fun we have.

Dave.

Offline AdeV

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2014, 05:12:45 PM »
I'm using power tools on even the small stuff.... but then, I am notoriously lazy...

Got one of these the other day (different brand, but very similar):

It doesn't half make short work of rusty bits... Combined with the sand blaster, plasma cutter, angle grinder, air chisel and solvent gun (to soften & remove underseal), it was relatively easy to clean up part of the underside ready for new metal...
Cheers!
Ade.
--
Occasionally: Zhengzhou, China. An even longer way from anywhere...

Offline DavidA

« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2014, 05:40:43 AM »
I might buy one of those.
Been away on holiday for the last week,  so not much done.  However,  the first thing I did on returning was to take the rear suspension cross member down to the local powder coating place to have it shot blasted.
I had cleaned away all the scale. and didn't want it painting.  But is is still going to cost me £45 just for the blasting. Hell,  that's steep. I doubt it will take fifteen minutes.
The only reason I took it in is because of the awkward access to some parts of the thing.

You can buy a lot of elbow grease for £45.

Dave. :(

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2014, 05:57:22 AM »
I'm using power tools on even the small stuff.... but then, I am notoriously lazy...

Got one of these the other day (different brand, but very similar):

It doesn't half make short work of rusty bits... Combined with the sand blaster, plasma cutter, angle grinder, air chisel and solvent gun (to soften & remove underseal), it was relatively easy to clean up part of the underside ready for new metal...

Ade,

I'd be a bit wary using a needle de-scaler on panels. It is perfectly possible to distort them with one.  AMHIK  :lol:
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline DavidA

« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2014, 04:59:30 PM »
Well, got all the rear suspension bits off the car and in the shed.  Found a broken coil on the near side shock absorber. more expense.

But now paying the price of a bad decision.

I was stood out by the car,  wrapped up in overalls and fleece, thinking 'my but it's cold'.  I really aught to have re jigged the shed to allow me to do all this inside. Nice warm stove in there, coffee,  radio etc.  And it is still November, most of winter yet to come.  And there is the BMW,  immovable with no rear suspension.

So,  big change of plan.

An annex to be built onto the side of the shed (quick and nasty,  just to hold 'stuff') and the machine tools to be moved to one end out of the way so I can get the car inside.

Hell,  I'm seventy,  why did I even consider doing it outside. Idiot.

So there will be a short delay on this project.

Back soon(ish).

Dave :doh:

Offline dawesy

« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2014, 04:05:10 AM »
We've all been there I think. I don't have a garage so all my car stuff happens outside. This winter I have a gearbox build to do on my mr2 and I'm not looking forward to it and I'm only 42   
Can you put some of the suspension back on to make it moveable?
Lee.
wishing my workshop was larger :(

Offline DavidA

« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2014, 06:51:46 AM »
Lee,

Yes,  I'm going to have to replace all the rear suspension so I can move it. Then take it all off again to get at the body repairs.  It won't be too bad though. all the nuts and bolts will be free and it is all de-rusted and painted.
I also did most of my repair work outside in the past.  But swore I wouldn't do it again. Too many days frozen to the bone. still,  we have to do what we have to do.

I'm not in any hurry, but now I've spent the money on the new panels I need to get on with it. Anyway, I always wanted a bigger shed.

Best of luck with the gearbox.  Work safe.

Dave.

Offline Stilldrillin

• Global Moderator
  • Staveley, Derbyshire. England.
« Reply #19 on: November 19, 2014, 08:24:18 AM »
Yikes! Dave.....  :bugeye:

I'm but one year ahead of you.
I have to have days/ weeks away, from the winter workshop. Couldn't even dream of working outside...... 

Keep warm. Keep well......  :thumbup:

David D
David.

Still drilling holes... Sometimes, in the right place!

Still modifying bits of metal... Occasionally, making an improvement!

Offline DavidA

« Reply #20 on: November 19, 2014, 08:38:49 AM »
My big problem area is procrastination.  I tend to spend more time thinking about a job than doing it.

But once I start I will spend hours happily working away.

But keeping warm as you get older is very important.  A long soak in a hot bath seems to work.

Dave.

Offline dawesy

« Reply #21 on: November 19, 2014, 10:31:26 AM »
Thanks for that Dave you too.
If I have to work out doors now I have a thermal base layer I wear. They do help keep you a little warmer. Also a good thermal hat and a carpet to lay/kneel on.
Lee.
wishing my workshop was larger :(

Offline Will_D

• National Homebrew Club of Ireland
« Reply #22 on: November 19, 2014, 06:21:25 PM »
To move the body can't you borrow a set of Dollys for an hour. Jack up, Front and rear dollys in place, push in, block upand remove the dollys, Job done.

Dollys are also called skates I think!

I am not motor trade based but its what they all use on the car restorations progs. to move the body shells around.
Engineer and Chemist to the NHC.ie
http://www.nationalhomebrewclub.ie/forum/

Offline DavidA

« Reply #23 on: November 19, 2014, 06:32:14 PM »
Will,

I had actually considered that option. Maybe using a pallet truck to support the rear of the car.

But,  as I work alone,  and on balance generally, re fitting the rear suspension would be better as it would allow me to simply start up the car and drive it in.
It would probably only take about three hours to make it drivable again.

Dave.

Offline DavidA

« Reply #24 on: June 09, 2016, 08:01:01 AM »
...My big problem area is procrastination.  I tend to spend more time thinking about a job than doing it.

I wrote that line some time back. but as my Citroen is due for test soon, and it will fail unless I do a lot to it, it is time to get on with the BMW.

But I have a problem.

I have a big trolley jack One with about a 24" lift. Very useful for this kind of work.  However it stopped working a while ago and my son decided to strip it and fix the problem.  He then left to work away and didn't reassemble it.

And I can't get it to work. It should be simple enough, but as he took it apart, I don't know how the ball valve assembly works.

Does anyone have any idea how it goes back together ?

I don't know if the spring in the picture is part of the thing or not. It doesn't look like an original part.

Any advice welcome.

Dave.

Offline naffsharpe (Nathan)

« Reply #25 on: June 09, 2016, 06:43:20 PM »
David, I have been wrong in the past and I may be wrong this time, but, I think the spring fits over the spigot on the threaded bolt/plug and the ball goes into the bore to form a non return/regulating valve. As bolt has a sealing washer it's a fixed setting. Reassemble it, bleed it and try it but not on the car !. If the jack lifts just try standing on it/get someone else to stand on it before you lift any thing you are working on.
Your safety must be  your first priority.
I envy your fitness at 70+, I'm wrecked at 61 but still work on the car and van then suffer the back/shoulder/ everything ache afterwards!!
Nathan.

Offline DavidA

« Reply #26 on: June 10, 2016, 05:21:58 AM »
 Nathan,

I'll give that a try. It has to have a non return valve somewhere. It is annoying that such a simple thing is causing so much trouble.
When I originally came to fix the jack I decided that I'd take it down to a local hydraulic repair place. 'Sorry', the man said. 'But we don't have much luck with trolley jacks'.

As for the health thing.  I have my off days as well. I have found out that since I had my TIA and a mild heart attack (back in 2007) I tire much more quickly. So I have adopted a scheme where I work a bit and rest a bit. That way I pace my self and don't get really exhausted. And if I don't feel up to it, I don't bother.

It's only when I start to get a bit tired that I notice my age.  But these projects won't do them selves.

Take care,

Dave.

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #27 on: June 10, 2016, 06:20:43 AM »
Interesting comment that from your chap re trolley jacks.

I had a 'pallet pump' - the sort of thing you roll pallets around a warehouse floor with - it would pump up fine, but wouldn't hold. Cylinder seemed fine, it could really only be the non return valve (which was overcome to lower the pallet) - but try as I might I never managed to fix it. Gave it away in the end to someone with more enthusiasm and time !
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex