Author Topic: BMW E28  (Read 13841 times)

Offline naffsharpe (Nathan)

Re: BMW E28
« Reply #25 on: June 09, 2016, 06:43:20 PM »
David, I have been wrong in the past and I may be wrong this time, but, I think the spring fits over the spigot on the threaded bolt/plug and the ball goes into the bore to form a non return/regulating valve. As bolt has a sealing washer it's a fixed setting. Reassemble it, bleed it and try it but not on the car !. If the jack lifts just try standing on it/get someone else to stand on it before you lift any thing you are working on.
Your safety must be  your first priority.
I envy your fitness at 70+, I'm wrecked at 61 but still work on the car and van then suffer the back/shoulder/ everything ache afterwards!!
Nathan.

Offline DavidA

« Reply #26 on: June 10, 2016, 05:21:58 AM »
 Nathan,

I'll give that a try. It has to have a non return valve somewhere. It is annoying that such a simple thing is causing so much trouble.
When I originally came to fix the jack I decided that I'd take it down to a local hydraulic repair place. 'Sorry', the man said. 'But we don't have much luck with trolley jacks'.

As for the health thing.  I have my off days as well. I have found out that since I had my TIA and a mild heart attack (back in 2007) I tire much more quickly. So I have adopted a scheme where I work a bit and rest a bit. That way I pace my self and don't get really exhausted. And if I don't feel up to it, I don't bother.

It's only when I start to get a bit tired that I notice my age.  But these projects won't do them selves.

Take care,

Dave.

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #27 on: June 10, 2016, 06:20:43 AM »
Interesting comment that from your chap re trolley jacks.

I had a 'pallet pump' - the sort of thing you roll pallets around a warehouse floor with - it would pump up fine, but wouldn't hold. Cylinder seemed fine, it could really only be the non return valve (which was overcome to lower the pallet) - but try as I might I never managed to fix it. Gave it away in the end to someone with more enthusiasm and time !
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex