Author Topic: Gear Cutting Advice  (Read 3819 times)

Offline Anzaniste

Gear Cutting Advice
« on: October 01, 2014, 06:57:46 PM »

I'm about to cut some change wheels for my lathe, a Leinen L4ZS as I don't have the appropriate full set to cut the threads I need for a particular job. This will be the first time I have ever cut gears.

The gears are 1.25 MOD and I have bought the gear cutter for the job.
I'm thinking of cutting the 15mm thick gears on my Centec 2A mill with the axis horizontal and the cutter in the vertical head.

The full depth of the teeth is a little less than 3 mm. 

My question is should I be thinking of cutting the teeth in one pass with a fine feed rate or should I consider several passes.

I could also do the job with the cutter mounted on a horizontal spindle. 

I'm also thinking that I need to complete my powered feed project first.

What advice can you offer?
Scrooby, 1 mile south of Gods own County.

Online cwelkie

Re: Gear Cutting Advice
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2014, 08:46:22 PM »
First the caveat; I'm no expert.  I've only cut a few gears, both with "traditional" multi-tooth cutters and "rack form" hobs.  In the end, the gears worked so I called that a success.

The usual approach seems to be cut full depth at one pass.  To do that requires a sturdy setup.  What looks like an acceptable amount of overhang from the dividing head or rotary table will lead to flex without a tailstock or other support.  It's probably going to cause a revolt but I've found a "roughing" pass followed by a finishing pass gives me more predictable results.

Using the horizontal spindle will work fine, just be aware of the amount of space you've got for support at each end of the gear arbor.

You will be well served by a power feed.  Three teeth into the routine you'll be grateful!  I think you'll get a better cut as well.

Good luck with whatever approach you use.  Remember - you can always start over and try another way if things go sideways on you.

Offline BillTodd

• Colchester Essex (where the lathes were made)
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2014, 03:32:28 AM »
I've just been cutting several sets of metric change gears for Haighton Cadets .

I notched them first with a slitting saw just to reduce the wear on involute cutters (saws are relatively cheap)

Horizontal mills are ideal for gear cutting - everything's in the right place :)

Keep the cutting speed down and work methodically, don't rush - I buggered five 50Ts by rushing a division.

Bill

Bill

Offline Jo

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2014, 07:56:20 AM »
Assuming that the gears are in Cast Iron (no reason not to be  :thumbup:) you should have no problem cutting those in a single pass with a commercial cutter providing the feed by hand. 

I cut a gear with just under 3mm deep teeth last monday by hand feed: http://www.modelenginemaker.com/index.php?topic=2775.msg77347#msg77347 except that it had a little helix angle on it  :coffee:

Jo
So many engines to build and yet so little time.

Offline Anzaniste

« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2014, 01:29:50 AM »
Jo and Bill, thanks for your advice.
I note you are both using dividing heads, I am intending to use a rotary table and a Division master. Do you foresee any problems going down this route?

Offline Jo

« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2014, 04:18:45 AM »
With a rotary table mounted vertically you might need to move the gear further out to avoid catching the table with the cutter, so you might want to consider adding a tail stock for support.

Don't forget to lock the table for each cut  :thumbup:.

Jo.
So many engines to build and yet so little time.

Offline Anzaniste

« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2014, 08:52:49 PM »
Aha yes, I'd half thought of a tail stock support. It's now fully in the plan.

The problem with locking the table is remembering to unlock it when moving on to the next station. :doh:
I wonder how I know that!