Author Topic: PeterE makes a workbench  (Read 20867 times)

Offline Joe d

Re: PeterE makes a workbench
« Reply #25 on: April 07, 2015, 12:00:52 PM »
Hi Peter

Some fine looking tools.  If you don't mind, how is the handle attached on the carving mallet?

Cheers, Joe

Offline PeterE

• Gothenburg
« Reply #26 on: April 07, 2015, 04:52:09 PM »
Thanks Joe!

The handle goes right through the brass head and is attached using epoxy and a conventional wedge. The diameter of the brass head is 45-ish mm and the through-hole is 20 mm (about the size of a normal broom-stick).  The walls of the hole is purposely not very smooth making for good adhesion of the glue. The handle was finish turned after it was glued in place. Then I could hold the head in the lathe three-jaw and shape the handle to fit and shape as desired. The head is 50 mm long and the handle about 120 mm.

Hope this helps.

BR

/Peter
Always at the edge of my abilities, too often beyond ;-)

Offline sparky961

« Reply #27 on: April 07, 2015, 06:21:04 PM »
Did you use the same method for the small brass hammer?  It seems one might be applying a bit more force to that one, so you'd want to make sure the head was well-attached.

I applaud your efforts.  Truly some tools to be proud of.

Offline Meldonmech

« Reply #28 on: April 08, 2015, 09:23:42 AM »

Hi Peter,
                    A well made bench and tools. I made a similar bench, a good few years ago now, one of the best and most useful things I've made.
                                                Good Luck and Enjoy

Cheers David

Offline PeterE

• Gothenburg
« Reply #29 on: April 08, 2015, 03:29:08 PM »
Thanks sparky and David!

Yes the bench will be a good addition to my shop. It has already proven to be the right size to stay put even if it is not fastened to the floor as I planed some wood the other day.

The hammers, yes, I took a new picture from the head end to show how I did:

The carvers mallet handle goes right through and is 20 mm dia as stated earlier. Glued with epoxy and uses a standard wedge to secure. It should stay in place.

The hammer is done in the same way. Nice fit and epoxy + wedge. the rough inner walls will make the glue stick well.

Hope this helps.

BR

/Peter
Always at the edge of my abilities, too often beyond ;-)