Author Topic: Problem With King KC 20-VS Mill  (Read 10783 times)

Offline snub

• Canada
Problem With King KC 20-VS Mill
« on: October 22, 2014, 09:15:55 PM »
I recently purchased a KC 20-VS milling machine. It is almost identical to the Grizzly G0704. I haven't used it much for anything with critical dimensions, so never bothered to check the accuracy of the graduations on the handwheels. I decided to add Digital Read Outs and got them installed on the X and Y axis. Much thanks to 75Plus for his tutorial on doing this.

So first I check the accuracy of the X axis handwheel versus the DRO. It is spot on. Ran the table 6 inches and both readings the same. Then I checked the Y axis. Ooops. Not even close. When I rotate the handle .020", the DRO reads .016". When I rotate the dial .100", the DRO reads .078". And so on.

My first thought is that the DRO must be at fault so I grabbed a "portable" DRO to check. Turns out it is the handwheel graduations that are inaccurate. That being said, I did have to remove the handwheel to facilitate the install of the DRO.

Is it possible I buggered something up when I did this. I just removed the nut and handle, then reinstalled. I can't believe the handwheel could be that far off. I looked at the "inspection report" that was done at the factory, and apparently this isn't something they check. I wish I had when I first got the machine but I just assumed it would be good.

Offline 75Plus

Re: Problem With King KC 20-VS Mill
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2014, 10:04:19 PM »
There is no way to corrupt the readings by removing or replacing the  hand wheels. What you need to establish is the number of threads per inch that is on the "Y" axis lead screw. My G0704 has 10 tpi lead screws so one complete rotation of the hand wheel will move the table 1/10" or .100" The scales have .002" divisions with major marks every .020". I just wonder if you may have a metric lead screw in the "Y" axis and an inch scale on the hand wheel. This could explain the large difference.

I think your first move is to determine just how far exactly one rotation of the hand wheel moves the table. That will tell you what the thread pitch is.

Let us know what you find.

Joe

Offline 12345678910

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2014, 10:59:42 PM »
I have a mill, not the same as yours but same country of origiin.

The graduations of all three axis are incorrect.

Not by a little bit either.

the junk factor is frustrating.

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2014, 02:42:00 AM »
The first Mill / Drill that I bought decades ago had the same issue on the down feed. It was a while before I realised that as the screw pitch didn't give whole numbers of 'turns per inch' they had engraved a dial in reasonably accurate thou but the start and end were discontinuous. So it was ok for moves less than a full turn !
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Online RussellT

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2014, 06:03:21 AM »
The odd thing is that if it reads 0.016 when you move it 0.020 then it should read 0.080 when you move it 0.100.

That might be accounted for by 10tpi feed screw if the knob was made for an 8tpi feed screw.

Russell
Common sense is unfortunately not as common as its name suggests.

Offline snub

• Canada
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2014, 09:08:02 PM »
I just wonder if you may have a metric lead screw in the "Y" axis and an inch scale on the hand wheel. This could explain the large difference.

I checked the threads per inch on the X axis and there are ten, as it should be. I then checked the threads on the Y axis, and there 13 threads per inch. So I set the handwheel at zero and switched the DRO to read millimeters.

1 rotation of the handwheel, table moves 2mm.
5 rotations and the table moves 10mm.
10 rotations and I get 20mm.

So, yes indeed, they put a metric screw on the Y axis.

I'm guessing that to correct this I will have to remove the table and the crosslide. Will I be able to access the "nut" by doing this, or is it accessed from underneath.

Offline philf

« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2014, 03:48:28 AM »
Snub,

Why worry about it?

If your DRO is working properly then use that.

On the other hand - if you bought the mill new then I would expect that the supplier has an obligation to put it right.

Phil.
Phil Fern

Offline 75Plus

« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2014, 11:45:29 AM »
Snub,

You would need both a new lead screw and the nut. King Canada should supply it at no charge. It is clearly a manufacturing error so they should pay you labor for replacing them. If you can't get it from them you could always get it from Grizzly.

Joe

Offline pete3000

• Electronics, Computers and one day mechanics
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2014, 06:18:09 PM »
If you know the error is down to the dial graduations not matching up with the nut/screw, surely the cheapest way to correct it if the maunfacturer can't is to make another graduated scale knob to match.

Should be cheaper and less involved than changing something which is working.
The beauty of Not Planning, is that failure comes as a Complete Suprise and is Not preceded by a period of worry and depression.

Offline 75Plus

« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2014, 08:16:51 PM »
If you know the error is down to the dial graduations not matching up with the nut/screw, surely the cheapest way to correct it if the maunfacturer can't is to make another graduated scale knob to match.

Should be cheaper and less involved than changing something which is working.

Pete, the error was that the maker mixed two different systems in the machine. Trying to do any serious work with one axis set up for metric and another imperial would be a total nightmare. It is obvious that King Canada sold a defective machine and should correct the error.

Joe

Offline snub

• Canada
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2014, 09:13:20 PM »
Snub,

Why worry about it?

If your DRO is working properly then use that.

Well I thought that too, but it would be nice to have both systems operating. If the DRO suddenly died I would be fumbling with inch and metric dials.

Offline snub

• Canada
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2014, 09:20:24 PM »
A happy ending. King Canada sent me a new leadscrew and nut, no questions asked and no charge. They even sent instructions on how to change it out. Hand written!

Offline Stilldrillin

• Global Moderator
  • Staveley, Derbyshire. England.
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2014, 03:46:14 AM »
A happy ending. King Canada sent me a new leadscrew and nut, no questions asked and no charge. They even sent instructions on how to change it out. Hand written!

That's the sort of service, we all hope for. But, rarely get......  :palm:

Well done, King Canada!  :clap: :clap:

David D
David.

Still drilling holes... Sometimes, in the right place!

Still modifying bits of metal... Occasionally, making an improvement!

Offline 75Plus

« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2014, 10:40:31 AM »
I love happy endings!  :clap: :clap:
Joe