Author Topic: Which bearing for a 16mm shaft?  (Read 7377 times)

Offline geoff_p

Which bearing for a 16mm shaft?
« on: November 28, 2014, 10:23:38 AM »
I have ordered an ER16 extension shaft, whose shank is 16mm dia x 150 long to use as an auxiliary spindle.

Googling for 16 ID ball bearings brings up all sorts of crud ranging from 15mm bore, through 5/8 inch to the 'ubiquitous' 6203.  And thereby hangs the tale - some sites list the 6203 as 5/8 bore, at least one declares it to be 16mm and most state 17mm bore.

Please, what is the ID of a 6203 bearing?

Or, if/when all else fails, can you suggest how best to machine the shaft down to a standard bearing-size without loosing too much accuracy/runout etc.  (I would prefer Metric but beggars can't be choosers.)

Regards,

Geoff,
Thailand

Offline Kjelle

Re: Which bearing for a 16mm shaft?
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2014, 11:26:36 AM »
Hi geoff_p!
First I checked my old copy (from the late 70's) SKF handbook/catalogue, and it says id 17 mm... I then went to their website and checked, it also says 17 mm ( http://www.skf.com/group/products/bearings-units-housings/ball-bearings/deep-groove-ball-bearings/single-row/index.html?prodid=1050070203&imperial=false )
If you are set on 16 mm shaft, you will have to use a sleeve or turn it down to 15 mm, then a 6202 or a 6302 will fit the bill nicely...

But checking the bearing data, a needle roller unit, with 16 mm id exists, but it's without inner ring... RNA 4901 or 162416 are the numbers. And they are as capable as a 6203, both in rpm's and load... Are your shaft hardened? :scratch:

Kjelle

Offline bertie_bassett

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2014, 05:44:51 PM »
a competent engineer uses the tools and knowledge available, to get a challenging job done.

An incompetent "engineer" tells his boss that the existing equipment "can't do the job" and to get another machine

Offline geoff_p

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2014, 08:07:07 PM »
Thanks guys.  Kjelle's SKF reference bears out what I seemed to be finding but Bertie's is Bingo, spot-on.  What's more, their price and postage are reasonable.

I'll cast and machine an aluminium housing, which shouldn't be too much trouble.  Originally I had intended to use two plummer blocks but the cost of postage removes that from my options.

Thanks again.

Geoff

Offline bertie_bassett

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2014, 12:34:09 PM »
glad the link was helpfull, iv used them a couple of times when i need the odd bearing a few o-rings

out of interest what type of auxilary spindle are you going to be building?  iv been drawing up plans for a small toolpost one to go on my lathe and am always on the lookout for other spindle designs
a competent engineer uses the tools and knowledge available, to get a challenging job done.

An incompetent "engineer" tells his boss that the existing equipment "can't do the job" and to get another machine