Author Topic: Riston Milling MAchine  (Read 3546 times)

Offline Phody

Riston Milling MAchine
« on: November 28, 2014, 06:14:58 PM »
Does any one have Rishton Milling machine? I have recently been offered a Rishton machine and when I checked the column for 'squareness'  using a cylindrical square and parallels I found the column to lean forward by 0.07mm in 200mm. Is this normal for this type of machine. I need to bore holes 25mm dia by 75mm deep and I need them to be square to the top face of the components. Can the lean be corrected or am I wasting time with this machine. Space is the problem in my workshop and the Rishton mill fits in the space available.

Offline Kjelle

Re: Riston Milling MAchine
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2014, 05:41:53 AM »
http://www.lathes.co.uk/rishton/index.html

First place to check on lathes and mills (and shapers, too).... Seems like a decent mini mill, in the EMCO bracket... Know nothing about them though.

Kjelle

Offline loply

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2014, 12:17:26 PM »
Assuming you definitely mean the column is out of square (as opposed to the spindle not being parallel with the column?) then it looks from those photos like you can rescrape the area where the column attaches to the base to correct it. The photos show the machine with Myford branding on it and the column removed.

Alternatively you could also shim it, but rescraping would be better.

Offline Swarfing

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2014, 12:36:57 PM »
Is there not a pair of grub screws that push up against steel buttons to square it? Arboga typically use this method to square their columns and a lot copied it. If there is not then it could very easily be replicated.
Once in hole stop digging.

Offline John Stevenson

• In Memoriam
  • Nottingham, England.
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2014, 02:25:50 PM »
Got a couple of CNC versions here, can't answer the question but 25mm dia x 75 deep is pushing it for this type of machine.
They are quite lightweight, probably best compare to  Sieg X1
John Stevenson

Offline Phody

« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2014, 04:15:58 PM »
Thanks to you all for the help. The round column is seated in a bored hole and is part of the base casting which incorporates the table slides. Some advice has been to place a shim at the bottom of the swiveling head to push the spindle 'outwards' and thus square up to the table. Any knowledge on the manufacturing tolerance would be a great help.
Phody