Poll

Whose engine in this first ever Mod-Up deserves the coveted Brass Machine trophy!?

ShipTo
5 (25%)
RussellT
15 (75%)

Total Members Voted: 19

Voting closed: February 17, 2015, 10:51:43 AM

Author Topic: Pipe and Bolt Engine Mod-Up  (Read 123114 times)

Offline shipto

• Redditch, UK
Re: Pipe and Bolt Engine Mod-Up
« Reply #175 on: February 01, 2015, 02:01:47 PM »
Sorry working on orientation now  :scratch:
The way its running there I am just blowing air into the piston when the piston is at the bottom of the stroke but with luck I hope to be able to rig up a valve that is operated by the cam I have made *see below* mounted on the back there will be a sprung arm which will engage the valve and shut it when the piston reaches top of the stroke allowing the iar in the piston to escape again.
Thats the plan anyway.
Turns out this life c**p is just one big distraction from death but a good one. For the love of god dont give yourself time to think.
https://myshedblog.wordpress.com/

Offline vtsteam

• Global Moderator
  • Republic of Vermont
« Reply #176 on: February 01, 2015, 07:46:22 PM »
Oh, okay, I get it now, Shipto . That's pretty interesting!!  So the offset pipe section at top is the cam.  :coffee: :coffee:  looking forward seeing the valve setup.

You're coming along great!!  :beer:

I love it when a Plan B comes together!
Steve
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sDubB0-REg

Offline RussellT

« Reply #177 on: February 02, 2015, 12:26:30 PM »
Hi Shipto

That's going well.  I'm very impressed with the improvised valve arrangement to get it running.  :clap: :clap:

Steve, I'm waiting and intrigued to see the final bits of the valve arrangements on that engine.

Russell
Common sense is unfortunately not as common as its name suggests.

Offline RussellT

« Reply #178 on: February 02, 2015, 03:35:43 PM »
Thanks Steve, John B.

I've asked a few other people too and nearly everyone thinks it's best left unpainted.  My only reservation about that is the possibility of rust as it's all mild steel but I'm happy to leave it unpainted.

This is the final instalment of my Pipe and Bolt engine construction.

I'd tried running it a few times and discovered it tended to jump around a lot if it wasn't fastened down so I tried balancing the flywheel.  I added a weight (an 8mm nut) fastened with double sided tape opposite the crankpin and big end to see what happened.  There was a definite improvement so I kept adding nuts until it started to get worse again.

I decided to use a bit of pipe to make a permanent counterweight so I parted off a length the width of the flywheel to make the weight.

Here is the engine with the temporary weights and the pipe cut ready for flattening.

I weighed the bit of pipe on the kitchen scales and discovered it weighed about 5.5 nuts, so I bashed it flat and cut it to 8/11 of it's length and curved notched and filed it to fit the flywheel. :dremel:

Here it is glued in place.

I tested it again adding an extra nut to see if my filing had taken off too much, but that made it vibrate more so I concluded the weight was about right.

Here is the promised video.

Thanks Steve for setting the challenge and everyone for the encouragement and comments.

Russell

Offline vtsteam

• Global Moderator
  • Republic of Vermont
« Reply #179 on: February 02, 2015, 03:57:47 PM »
Fantastic, Russell!! I'm just in the house for a moment -- been battling a major snowstorm since breakfast. You did a really great job, and the reversing and spindle valve with screw thread bearing was very innovative. Not only that, but this was your first engine ever, as I understand it. Great job all around!!  :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :clap: :clap: :clap: :beer: :beer
Steve

Offline shipto

• Redditch, UK
« Reply #180 on: February 02, 2015, 04:18:17 PM »
Russell  :bugeye: I love it and if it truely is your first ever engine then even more kudos to you  :beer:
BTW the name here is Dwayne everyone, I dont mind the use of my handle however it seems a little formal.
I did hope to spend an hour in the shed tonight working on the valve but got a call from a friend asking for help  :doh:
I will also need to pretty mine up too if I am to stand a chance of getting votes off Russell  :lol:
Turns out this life c**p is just one big distraction from death but a good one. For the love of god dont give yourself time to think.

Offline Will_D

• National Homebrew Club of Ireland
« Reply #181 on: February 02, 2015, 04:18:34 PM »
Brilliant Job - Well done Russell  :nrocks:
Engineer and Chemist to the NHC.ie
http://www.nationalhomebrewclub.ie/forum/

Offline Stilldrillin

• Global Moderator
  • Staveley, Derbyshire. England.
« Reply #182 on: February 02, 2015, 05:24:21 PM »
That's an absolute, CRACKER!!!  :bugeye:

Blummin, well done, Russell.....  :clap: :clap:

David D
David.

Still drilling holes... Sometimes, in the right place!

Still modifying bits of metal... Occasionally, making an improvement!

Offline modeldozer

• Valencia, Spain
    • AJ´s Truckmodeling
« Reply #183 on: February 02, 2015, 06:34:13 PM »
Well done Russell!  :bow: :bow: :clap: :clap: :drool:

:beer:
Abraham

Offline dawesy

« Reply #184 on: February 03, 2015, 05:02:03 AM »
Amazing guys.
Astounding what can be made from some scraps and good old fashioned ingenuity.
Top work :)
Lee.
wishing my workshop was larger :(

Offline RussellT

« Reply #185 on: February 03, 2015, 05:08:16 AM »
Thanks Steve, Dwayne, Will, David D, Abraham, Dawesy. :thumbup: :beer:

Yes it's true, I've never made an engine before, I've looked at lots, I've taken a few to bits, I've even put some back together, but I've never made one.

I might not have done it this time if I hadn't had the idea about the bearing/valve which I thought would be interesting to try.  It also appealed as most of my projects use recycled parts from other things.

Since I got a lathe I have thought about attempting an IC engine as a sort of test to myself about how much competence I've acquired but other projects and hobbies always seem to get in the way - especially as I would have to do it to my own design.  :loco:

I enjoyed making it, and it turned out much better than my initial expectations, so I'm grateful for the challenge and the encouragement to have a go. :thumbup:

Russell

Offline vtsteam

• Global Moderator
  • Republic of Vermont
« Reply #186 on: February 03, 2015, 08:19:32 PM »
I'm starting to wonder if I'll be finished by Valentine's day  :scratch:. We just got hit with 16" of new snow in a day and a half, on top of what we just got before, and temps and wind were miserable -- I plowed and shoveled twice -- it was blowing and the high for the day was -12C. This morning we awoke to -24C, and I had to shovel again because the big road plows had blocked the drive entrance and thrown snow 20 feet in.

Anyway, the shop is finally too cold to stand working for more than 5 minutes at a time. But to catch up verbally, at least, I made 3 different valves and 3 valve chambers so far, and drilled the exhaust ports. I've tried running the motor, and have made as much as 3 revolutions before it stops. The main problem has been the valve -- I was getting some leakage past BDC, which stopped her. I think the latest valve/chamber version is a definite improvement.

I also think the intake timing is too short for running on compressed air -- though it might be okay for steam. So I've been gradually delaying the cuttoff by filing the cam. The valve height is really critical too, and might need more trimming -- but that's easy to overdo -- as I have already, twice!

The flywheel is also on the small side -- in keeping with the style of high speed steam engine  this one is reminiscent of -- but maybe too small. So I added another layer of pipe, brazed on, to increase diameter.

I think right now it's borderline wanting to run. I just need to figure out the valve and timing adjustments. I may need to make a new cam with more lift to get a better seal at BDC. And I may need to add a valve spring, then. Right now I'm just using feed pressure to keep the valve against the cam.

Anyway, I hope we get a little more warmth -- so far it's been a longer deep cold period than we've seen for years here. Plugging away on the engine a little at a time, anyway.
Steve

Offline vtsteam

• Global Moderator
  • Republic of Vermont
« Reply #187 on: February 04, 2015, 04:20:45 PM »
I was able to make a new valve  today and work on the cam some more. I think It's on the verge of running -- getting strings of several puffs in a row. It might just need some breaking in at this point. Unfortunately I had to quit to get ready for a meeting this evening. Here's the current state of the engine:

« Last Edit: July 11, 2017, 05:24:47 PM by vtsteam »
Steve

Offline vtsteam

• Global Moderator
  • Republic of Vermont
« Reply #188 on: February 04, 2015, 08:22:26 PM »
Ran out to the cold shop for a few minutes this evening after the meeting to try it once again. Loosened the head bolts slightly to free the valve as it was sticking some, and it ran!!! After a few minutes I gradually tightened them down while running, and it wore in enough to re-start a couple times. Hope to get video tomorow!!!  :ddb:
Steve

Offline RussellT

« Reply #189 on: February 05, 2015, 04:31:55 AM »
 :clap: :clap: :ddb:

I knew you'd get it going. Well done.

Russell

Offline shipto

• Redditch, UK
« Reply #190 on: February 05, 2015, 04:19:10 PM »
 :clap: :clap: Well done Vt look forward to seeing the video  :coffee:
I too am much more confident as I finally decided how to do the valve and got started on it tonight, forgot to take phone to shed though so pics will have to wait till weekend.

Offline vtsteam

• Global Moderator
  • Republic of Vermont
« Reply #191 on: February 05, 2015, 04:53:52 PM »
Thanks guys, here we go.......!!!!!   :ddb:

« Last Edit: May 21, 2018, 05:17:36 PM by vtsteam »
Steve

Offline Stilldrillin

• Global Moderator
  • Staveley, Derbyshire. England.
« Reply #192 on: February 05, 2015, 05:17:34 PM »
That's running nicely, Steve.  :thumbup:

Well done!  :clap: :clap:

David D
David.

Still drilling holes... Sometimes, in the right place!

Still modifying bits of metal... Occasionally, making an improvement!

Offline modeldozer

• Valencia, Spain
    • AJ´s Truckmodeling
« Reply #193 on: February 05, 2015, 05:42:08 PM »
Very nice Steve.  :thumbup: :thumbup: :clap: :clap:

:beer:
Abraham

Offline NormanV

• United Kingdom
« Reply #194 on: February 05, 2015, 06:43:31 PM »
Excellent!

Offline dsquire

• In Memoriam
  • Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
« Reply #195 on: February 05, 2015, 10:37:07 PM »
Russell

That is a very impresive little engine that you have built. It goes to show what you can do if you put your mind to it. Looking forward to the next one.  :D :D

Cheers  :beer:

Don

Good, better, best.
Never let it rest,
'til your good is better,
and your better best

Offline dsquire

• In Memoriam
  • Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
« Reply #196 on: February 06, 2015, 12:14:16 AM »
Hi Steve

It is nice to see that even though it fought you at most every turn you managed to make it conform to your specifications in the end and provided a running engine.  :ddb: :ddb: :ddb:

Hopefully this  snow will stop and start an orderly  melt so as not to cause any flash floods this spring. I know that you are looking forward togetting thru the snow banks and into your shop. Before we know it casting season will be here again.  :D :D

Cheers  :beer:

Don

Good, better, best.
Never let it rest,
'til your good is better,
and your better best

Offline vtsteam

• Global Moderator
  • Republic of Vermont
« Reply #197 on: February 06, 2015, 09:56:27 AM »
Thanks Russell, Dwayne, David, Abraham, and Don!  :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer:

It takes a fair amount of pressure, being a single acting uniflow and the steam passage is probably on the tight side -- haven't checked rpm or got a throttle on it to see how low I can go yet. -- I might have to drill out that passage, down the road. But I'm excited to have it running, and the sound is kinda like a quiet two cycle, pop pop popping away there in the vise. Much fun!

Now the fun part, cleanup and paint! I won't even ask if it should be painted as Russell did -- mine is a patchwork of braze and bits. Just have to find and thaw out whatever I've got for enamel......

Dwayne, I'm realllllly looking forward to seeing your engine running!!  :beer: :beer: :beer:
Steve

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
« Reply #198 on: February 06, 2015, 10:05:29 AM »
Wow. I have been absent as of late... and seemed to have missed a whole lot!

Russell... That is a nicely done engine!

Steve, very well done indeed!

Shipto... It's coming along. Can't wait to see it finished!

Eric
Science is fun.

We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.

Offline RussellT

« Reply #199 on: February 06, 2015, 03:37:02 PM »
Thanks Eric, Don, Norman.

I like that Steve, it's nice and compact and looks quite practical for powering something like a model boat.

:thumbup: :clap: :thumbup: :clap: :nrocks:

Well done.

Russell