Author Topic: A mini-mini-mini lathe!  (Read 17658 times)

Offline steampunkpete

A mini-mini-mini lathe!
« on: December 15, 2014, 12:49:24 PM »

https://www.facebook.com/groups/480517968637011/855583764463761/?notif_t=group_activity

There's lathes and mini-lathes, so this must be a micro-lathe.   :bugeye:

Offline backofanenvelope

• !5 Minute Modeller
Re: A mini-mini-mini lathe!
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2014, 12:59:25 PM »
Wow.. and the tools and chucks.. Nice find.
*** Master Guild of Procrastinators ***

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2014, 01:13:30 PM »
I decline to join Facebook as I'm not happy with the security of it, so your link fails to work for me.
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline vtsteam

• Global Moderator
  • Republic of Vermont
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2014, 01:47:07 PM »
Yup, same here Andrew, fora are the limit of my social media interest. Too bad general information is made exclusive to club members.
I love it when a Plan B comes together!
Steve
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sDubB0-REg

Offline backofanenvelope

• !5 Minute Modeller
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2014, 02:15:30 PM »
I looked to see if it was posted on Youtube too but seems not to be. Although I am on FB I do find it annoying when I have to log in to see something that is not on other media outlets..
*** Master Guild of Procrastinators ***

Offline John Rudd

« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2014, 02:45:56 PM »
Ah well I won't be liking it either....need to login....I don't think so..
eccentric millionaire financed by 'er indoors

Offline DavidA

« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2014, 03:49:29 PM »
Add me to the list.  Pity,  I would have liked to see it.

Dave.

Offline Swarfing

« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2014, 03:54:45 PM »
Just so you don't have to join a special club to look at mini lathes, Do a google for a Manson lathe ;-)
Once in hole stop digging.

Offline sparky961

« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2014, 04:09:12 PM »
I wonder if there's a FaceBook group for FaceBook haters.  I'd join, but that's a bit hypocritical.

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2014, 04:13:54 PM »
I don't hate it - the wife is on it all the time and it keeps her in touch with the family. But I don't trust it's security so refuse to use it.
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline Fredbare

• Fakenham, Norfolk
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2014, 04:42:53 PM »
I'm not on FB either, but I did find this, www.youtube.com/watch?v=cuD9vrQWDDI, dont know if this is the one you are referring to.

John

Offline vtsteam

• Global Moderator
  • Republic of Vermont
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2014, 05:06:11 PM »
I don't hate it - the wife is on it all the time and it keeps her in touch with the family. But I don't trust it's security so refuse to use it.

Yup, my wife, too. Something like 50% of employer HR departments here now have a job requirement that if you have a Facebook account, you have to give them access to it, "friend? them. Social media is rapidly getting tied to employment records, as are many other sources of personal information.

I like open fora like this one that maintain a clear distinction between friendly hobby discussions and engaging in personal profiling for profit.

:mmr:
Steve

Offline vtsteam

• Global Moderator
  • Republic of Vermont
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2014, 05:12:15 PM »
I'm not on FB either, but I did find this, www.youtube.com/watch?v=cuD9vrQWDDI, dont know if this is the one you are referring to.

John

That is a very cool little lathe!  I like all the shopworn paint and appearance, too.
Steve

Offline Oldboy

« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2014, 06:11:08 PM »
Unable to look at refuse to sign up for Facebook
Barry

Offline mexican jon

« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2014, 07:39:22 PM »
Here ya go Boys 

:thumbup:
« Last Edit: December 15, 2014, 08:31:08 PM by mexican jon »
People say you only live once ! I say thank F@*K can't afford to do it twice.

Offline Oldboy

« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2014, 09:46:52 PM »
Thankyou for that it is worth seeing
Thanks again

Barry

Offline vtsteam

• Global Moderator
  • Republic of Vermont
« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2014, 09:49:16 PM »
What I want to know is, does that micrometer read with a vernier scale? Because at my age, that can get tough on the eyes...
Steve

Offline mexican jon

« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2014, 10:17:53 PM »
Slightly off topic :scratch: But check out this guy for excellent scale machinery http://www.craftsmanshipmuseum.com/jordan.htm  :clap:
People say you only live once ! I say thank F@*K can't afford to do it twice.

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #18 on: December 16, 2014, 03:15:51 AM »
Barry was a nice fellow. I met him several times, the first being at the SMEE centennial exhibition in 1998. Sadly his brain tumor eventually got him and he is no longer with us. Always immaculate in blazer and tie he reminded me of Alan Wicker. His model machines were a joy to behold, and we're especially of interest to me as several were miniatures of machines that I have in my workshop, so I could appreciate how closely he had followed the original.

Not sure what happened to his collection. The Bridgeport appeared a few years back on eBay in the UK at a very high starting price but didn't sell.
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline S. Heslop

• Newcastle Upon Tyne
« Reply #19 on: December 16, 2014, 11:24:13 AM »

Yup, my wife, too. Something like 50% of employer HR departments here now have a job requirement that if you have a Facebook account, you have to give them access to it, "friend? them. Social media is rapidly getting tied to employment records, as are many other sources of personal information.

I like open fora like this one that maintain a clear distinction between friendly hobby discussions and engaging in personal profiling for profit.

:mmr:

Facebook always spooked me. When I first got onto the internet the thing everyone told you was 'never tell anyone your personal details' but I guess that age is gone. I post on here under my real name and sometimes wonder about the privacy.

But you hear stories about people letting insurance companies track their cars for a while for a reduced insurance rate, or people into fitness using health monitors linked to their phones sending all their health data to the company. Maybe in the not too distant future they'll be using driving data and facebook friends to generate credit ratings.

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #20 on: December 16, 2014, 12:02:35 PM »
"Maybe in the not too distant future they'll be using driving data and facebook friends to generate credit ratings."

Are you sure that they are not already . . . . . (OK I'm paranoid !)
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline mattinker

« Reply #21 on: December 16, 2014, 01:29:34 PM »
I use facebook, but I don't have any information that I care about on it! I didn't think of it before I joined Facebook, but I thin it would be a good idea to have an entirely fictive facebook, with nothing but bogus information and a "disposable" email adress!

Regards, Matthew.

Offline Joules

« Reply #22 on: December 16, 2014, 04:15:48 PM »
LOL this is one of the things Facebook is trying to tackle in their new terms and conditions, which I found unaceptable and deleted my fake account and bugged out of Facebook.
Honour your mentors, and pay it forward.

Offline S. Heslop

• Newcastle Upon Tyne
« Reply #23 on: December 16, 2014, 06:32:08 PM »
"Maybe in the not too distant future they'll be using driving data and facebook friends to generate credit ratings."

Are you sure that they are not already . . . . . (OK I'm paranoid !)

Alot of the tracking and profiling happening now seems to be just for the sake of targeting advertisements at you at least. But even that can get spooky. Google mail in (I think) 2004 introduced the idea of scanning your email contents for keywords to target ads, which was legally dubious due to American wire tapping laws. Especially since people not signed up for Gmail would still be sending emails to people using the service. Of course they got away with it and it's now common practice.

Plus there's saving search histories, which are accessible by the police if needs be. I remember a good few years ago some huge database of AOL searches got leaked, along with the account numbers for who was searching. No way to link it to real people but there was alot of humour to be derived from some of the bizarre stuff people searched for.

I still sometimes hear people bemoan CCTV in public places, as if they're going to pay someone to sit in a security room and track you going food shopping. But not many people seem to complain about all the automatic tracking that happens every day. I guess you trade your privacy for access to various online services, and i'm more than happy trading my privacy for stuff like Youtube!

Offline vtsteam

• Global Moderator
  • Republic of Vermont
« Reply #24 on: December 16, 2014, 07:03:23 PM »
I use Vimeo for posting videos.

Viewing Youtube videos doesn't require logging into a Google account, so that's acceptable to me. I block Google scripts (running behind the scenes on a huge number of websites -- even on some shopping cart check-outs) and all the other similar spam info collectors, like doubleclick, etc.

Running the NoScript add-on for Firefox is a real eye-opener. It's amazing the number of scripts that run on your computer by just visiting ordinary websites these days.

My wife's computer was recently slowing down so much on Youtube that the video wouldn't run, the fan would go into high speed mode, and the panel showed a tremendous use of resources, and the computer would nearly lock up.

I checked NoScript and it showed 16 different tracking scripts running from different outfits on that one YouTube page. She had inadvertently allowed those scripts to run (NoScript normally does not, but allows you to run scripts temporarily, or permanently. She'd hit permanently by accident).

Once I disallowed those scripts, Youtube videos ran well again and the computer stopped locking up.
Steve