Author Topic: Magic Calculator Trick  (Read 4792 times)

Offline sparky961

Magic Calculator Trick
« on: January 10, 2015, 09:54:54 PM »
Here's a 15 minute mod you can do to a calculator that may save you hours of time in the future.

Pictures follow in order.  I bought this scientific calculator for $2 at the local Dollarama Store.  I've done similar mods to calculators in the past, but it always involved epoxy and magnets on the outside.  I thought I'd try something a bit different with this one.  I got a bit lucky with how it was made and the size of the magnets that I had on hand.  Ok, I was really damn lucky... but maybe you can make something work with the one you have too.

1. Open up the case and decide where you can stick your magnet without impairing the function of the calculator (or any other tool/device, for that matter)
2. You may be able to remove some plastic like I did here, or find an empty spot in the enclosure.  A dab of CA glue should keep them from moving around.
3. I put some tape over them to avoid any problems with the keypad contacts shorting on the magnets
4. Voila! No evidence of modification on the outside, yet it sticks very well to any ferrous surface.  An added bonus is that when swarf and dust do get stuck to it, it will be easier to wipe it off than if the magnet was just glued on the back.

I'm sure there are lots of stories to share about using these nifty little magnets.  Feel free to add your own to this thread without fear of "hijacking".

Sparky

Offline steampunkpete

Re: Magic Calculator Trick
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2015, 02:10:28 AM »
A nifty idea. In a small work area like mine any bench space saved is a big bonus.

I recently came across a pair of work gloves that had a magnet sewn into a pocket on the back of the hand. The idea is that you stick the nuts / washers / nails or whatever to the back of the gloves and they are (quite literally) to hand when you need them.

Offline Manxmodder

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2015, 10:13:38 AM »
Simple but very useful mod,nicely done Sparky :clap:......OZ.
Helixes aren't always downward spirals,sometimes they're screwed up

Offline krv3000

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2015, 06:09:25 PM »
 :nrocks: brill

Offline Chuck in E. TN

• USAF Retired
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2015, 06:42:33 PM »
For those like me that strip down dead hard drives to salvage magnets and the cast aluminum cases, bending the metal brackets that the magnets are stuck on frees them from the cement/epoxy to be reused.
Chuck
Chuck in E. TN
Famous TN last words: "Hey ya'll, watch this..."
MicroMark 7x14, HF X2 mill, Green 4x6 saw. Harbor Freight 170A mig