Author Topic: Workshop build  (Read 12839 times)

Offline backofanenvelope

• !5 Minute Modeller
Workshop build
« on: January 13, 2015, 12:08:14 PM »
Hi all,

Encouraged by vtsteam's thread on tiny workshop and a desired to get on with things I have been spurred out into the cold to have a go at sorting out my space. Having never been able to even get into it until reasonably recently I had a bit of an effort to sort out the decades of stuff that might come in useful that my dad put to one side. Now that I have just about enough space to swing a cat I am sorting through the pile of timber working out what is to keep and whats for the fire! Firstly had to get a light in there as no electric but can use an extension from the house. I have an RCD unit on as I use this for my TS and other power tools but not all at once and now come back in as too blinking cold. I might pinch a little oil filled radiator just to take the edge off but will see about that.

So tomorrow will be moving more stuff around to get the space to start working and hopefully maybe making some sawdust.

*** Master Guild of Procrastinators ***

Offline Pete W.

Re: Workshop build
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2015, 12:11:54 PM »
Hi there, all,

Key word, that, "Encouraged"!!!    :mmr:   :thumbup: 
Best regards,

Pete W.

If you can keep your head when all about you are losing theirs, you haven't seen the latest design change-note!

Offline dsquire

• In Memoriam
  • Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2015, 12:22:09 PM »
 backofanenvelope

You have made the start, it's all down hill now. Your going to have a great cheering section watching on.

:D :) :D

Cheers  :beer:

Don
Good, better, best.
Never let it rest,
'til your good is better,
and your better best

Offline backofanenvelope

• !5 Minute Modeller
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2015, 01:13:37 PM »
Thanks guys.. Well every journey etc etc.. Going to try and do it with as much of the stuff lying around so it's not going to look pretty but function over form in this case :D

Offline vtsteam

• Global Moderator
  • Republic of Vermont
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2015, 08:09:34 PM »
BOE, good for you! Any workshop is better than no workshop, and I'm sure you'll end up with something that gives you pleasure, and lets you make things.

Last year it finally dawned on me that if I bring home too much wonderful scrap materials, paint, rebuildable machines, motors, tools, and other workshop items, I won't actually have a workshop to use them in. I'll just have storage, where things rust and get worse.

And I also realized that a small space discourages collecting things, while a large space encourages it. And also a small space is easier to clean up at the end of the day. For me in a large space, it's a constant temptation to leave tools where they were, at supper time.

I'm now happily working in a small space. It was easy to build, and today It was comfortable even though the average temperature for the last 24 hours was -14C and the wind was blowing like fall. Not a problem when you're never further than 3 feet from a small heater! All the tools I needed were within an arm's reach, too!  :dremel:

I love it when a Plan B comes together!
Steve
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sDubB0-REg

Offline backofanenvelope

• !5 Minute Modeller
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2015, 04:55:21 AM »
Thanks Steve,

Yes have a space is the most important thing and somewhere I have wanted for a long time. Bit by bit I will get it to where I want it. As for collecting I learnt some time ago via a rather transitory life that it is better to use the things you love than collect them but there is a opposite to that in that collecting does come in handy one just needs to use it! On a side track have become very interested in tiny houses and small living so am hoping to learn skills in my workshop to these ends. Anyway better get back to it..

TomC

Offline DavidA

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2015, 06:34:02 AM »
 The problem with collecting,  particularly bits of wood,  is that you soon run out of space to move about.  But you seem to have noticed that.
I'm only just getting on top of my many years of collecting.

But it is very satisfying when you get to the bottom of the pile and can now find space to actually do some useful work.

Dave.

Offline backofanenvelope

• !5 Minute Modeller
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2015, 10:55:00 AM »
Nearly at the bottom of the inherited pile Dave.. :)

Well one step further forward and have now cleared the space and got a bit timber to mock up the space before the chill got the better of me, hope to have the heater in there tomorrow. Next is find the stretcher timbers and cut some plywood for draw runner mount.

TomC

Offline Manxmodder

« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2015, 11:07:21 AM »
Regarding collecting old timber, I have a weakness for Oak,Ash and Beech.

I've got a right collection of all 3,mostly planed planked stuff from old furniture but it does get used for quite a number of projects of my own and some gets donated to friends as needed........OZ.
Helixes aren't always downward spirals,sometimes they're screwed up

Offline backofanenvelope

• !5 Minute Modeller
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2015, 11:14:22 AM »
Unfortunately most of mine is tat! apart from some oak beams.. but once I have it all ship shape I will then be able to start my own pile..

Offline DMIOM

• Isle of Man
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2015, 11:19:24 AM »
Unfortunately most of mine is tat! apart from some oak beams.. but once I have it all ship shape I will then be able to start my own pile..

like the Victory or the Cutty Sark?  :palm:

Offline backofanenvelope

• !5 Minute Modeller
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2015, 11:47:20 AM »
Indeed, I shall be ready to sail down the Humber and repel boards in oh lets say 2035!

Offline backofanenvelope

• !5 Minute Modeller
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2015, 05:35:06 PM »
Not particularly exciting progress mainly as coldness stopped play early again. Heat seems to have packed up in sympathy so having to source alternative. In order to build up a bit of internal heat resorted to use hand saw! and not get out chop saw. Thankfully all cuts were spot on and not my usual banana shaped efforts. Should get a little more done tomorrow as maybe holed up with the forecast predicting snow by the bucket load, well a couple of inches anyway. Here is the start of middle section which will be braced on both side and and the end ones will only have internal ones. I have 50cm between rails which should be enough for the draws I want. As I say not madly exciting but just trying to keep my momentum going in these chilly times.

Offline vtsteam

• Global Moderator
  • Republic of Vermont
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2015, 07:34:10 PM »
Good for you, man!  :thumbup: :beer:
Steve

Offline DavidA

« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2015, 07:20:55 AM »
Yeah, just about to go out and face the cold shed. It'll be fine once I get the stove going. First tho' I'll finish this coffee.

Dave.

Offline backofanenvelope

• !5 Minute Modeller
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2015, 08:49:07 AM »
Just have to pop to allotment through snow showers for composting... then ding ding round 2.

Just finishing 2nd cuppa tea before I do this though

:D

TomC

Offline vtsteam

• Global Moderator
  • Republic of Vermont
« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2015, 09:26:11 AM »
I thought we had a break from a couple weeks of arctic air here, yesterday, when we climbed to 2C, but back down to -22C last night. The shed is still usable however, and very glad I have the space, now. And can afford to heat it when I use it.
BOE, your efforts will have rewards!  :thumbup: :beer:
Steve

Offline backofanenvelope

• !5 Minute Modeller
« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2015, 11:24:14 AM »
Thanks,

Yes I am chipping away at it and now have middle section and one end complete, just need to buy a bit of wood now as the stuff i have is just not long enough and I don't want to botch it together.. So Snow depending tomorrow will get some 4x1 to do stretchers so should have carcass complete.

Been thinking about various weatherproofing operations but realistically its more of a summer space but for the times I do want to go in it will be useable in both warmth and operational terms. Just glad I don't have to experience -22C :)

Offline backofanenvelope

• !5 Minute Modeller
« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2015, 12:23:04 PM »
Well after delays in stuff being delivered and a good dose of cold to hamper things I have finally got back to draw making and nearly have the rough carcass now. Due to different bits of timber being used I have slightly less space for draws but not too bothered about that as will also use some plastic boxes for the big stuff. Now on the hunt for a top to beg borrow or steal.. Waiting for heat to come back fixed as still a bit parky out there.. but hopefully should have it part finished and in place tomorrow..

Onwards.

Offline backofanenvelope

• !5 Minute Modeller
« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2015, 07:04:53 AM »
Bit more progress with my build and for the first time since making a tea tray out of ply at school I have made something that doesnt fall apart and I can stand on! The carcass is complete and now just considering how I will implement draws. Going to copy vtsteam's way I think and build a board with runners and then install. I have my eye on a piece of ply for top in a shop renovation not far away but not sure if it will be big enough. Slowly making progress and space still like a jigsaw with moving stuff around to get at things and work in space.

Offline vtsteam

• Global Moderator
  • Republic of Vermont
« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2015, 09:19:43 AM »
Looks great, BOE -- I've been following along.

Don't recall if I mentioned this in my construction log, but when you locate the slides on the plywood, use a loose drawer side piece to get the spacing, plus about 6mm shim for clearance -- you'll need that much so your drawers don't jam tight in damp summer weather. Using a side piece to locate the slides eliminates measurement mistakes, and makes it easy to screw down the next slide.

you should also allow similar side to side clearance when sizing your drawers, and spacing the plywood. Or guaranteed they will stick in summer.

The dead space in back of the drawers (the sides are longer than the bottom) allows you to pull the drawers all the way out to examine contents without the drawer falling out and dumping tools on your feet. I think I allowed about 3".

True, you lose a little drawer space, but it's worth it not to have indicators, machinest squares, etc. end up onto concrete after 2 foot fall  :bang: :bang: :palm:
Steve