Author Topic: Darrens new workshop  (Read 58658 times)

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
Re: Darrens new workshop
« Reply #50 on: May 28, 2009, 09:31:59 AM »
I used Spanish slates...

2x4 are ok with 24" centers, it's common around here and we can only use slate, no shingles allowed.

I used 2x4 with 16" centers just to be safe.... :ddb:

Spin, slates can go on a flat wall as a waterproof covering, very steep roofs present no problems... :thumbup:
You will find it a distinct help… if you know and look as if you know what you are doing. (IRS training manual)

bogstandard

« Reply #51 on: May 28, 2009, 09:39:02 AM »
If a shingle comes off, it blows away in the wind. You have to nail a new one on.

If a tile falls off, it dents your head and knocks you out. You have to replace the tile.

If a slate comes off and hits you edge on, it cuts you in half. It is then someone else's problem.

John

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
« Reply #52 on: May 28, 2009, 09:39:33 AM »
2x4 are ok with 24" centers, it's common around here and we can only use slate, no shingles allowed.

Darren,

Do those dimensions take into concideration a snow load? I know slate has to be heaveir than shingles.

Bernd
Route of the Black Diamonds

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #53 on: May 28, 2009, 09:42:40 AM »
I had a good look at my house and made it better, that's been up for over 100yrs  :thumbup:

We don't get much snow here Bernd, a couple of inches at worst and that wouldn't last the day.
You will find it a distinct help… if you know and look as if you know what you are doing. (IRS training manual)

Offline Divided he ad

• WARNING: LIKES SHINEY THINGS
  • The Collective
  • Between Chester, Wrexham, ruthin & Holywell :-)
« Reply #54 on: May 28, 2009, 12:36:16 PM »
Just to add another bit... My house roof is slate, 24x12's set on joists at 24" centres.... That was over the 100 years old!

Then I took the roof off and made a new one, all reclaimed slates went on the front (just over 50% saved used to match the neighbours) and spanish slate on the rear.... you can barely tell the difference... Except in the price!!  These are set on joists that are made from 75x35mm pine and set at 600 centres.... lasted 5 winters so far!   :)

John.....
If a slate comes off and hits you edge on, it cuts you in half. It is then someone else's problem.
   :lol:
interesting outlook you have :)

Slate will be used on some vertical walls by me.... When I get around to finishing off my house  ::) 

Ralph.

I know what I know and need to know more!!!

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
« Reply #55 on: May 28, 2009, 04:01:16 PM »
Problem over here is that wood is still somewhat plentiful. As soon as you start to add any kind of stone to the house people think your rich. At least that's the impression I get.

A majority of the houses here are plastic (vinyl) siding. Goes up easy and dosen't cost much.

Still can't comprehend using 2 X 4 on 32 centers to hold up that weight. But then what do I know about house building.  :lol:

Bernd
Route of the Black Diamonds

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #56 on: May 28, 2009, 04:20:47 PM »

Still can't comprehend using 2 X 4 on 32 centers to hold up that weight.

Bernd

Not using 32 centers Bernd? I'm using 16.  :thumbup:

I wouldn't call wood here cheap, but stone is,free even, odd world init...

Offline SPiN Racing

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #57 on: May 28, 2009, 07:14:47 PM »
Yep Yep Spanish curved tiles are the thing here... Or they were in the early 70s.

My parents just replaced the roof of thier house with Tarpaper shingles. Cost em 15K. The Spanish tile replacement dealio was gonna be 30K. They were told the tarpaper shingles were much better... sooo they went with em.

SPiN Racing

Offline John Stevenson

• In Memoriam
  • Nottingham, England.
« Reply #58 on: May 28, 2009, 08:04:00 PM »
Shingles over here is a bloody painful disease.

John Stevenson

Offline CrewCab

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #59 on: May 29, 2009, 02:44:53 PM »
I wouldn't call wood here cheap, but stone is,free even, odd world init...

Darren, I need a number for your supplier  :scratch: we've just ordered 100 square yards and it's £65 + VAT per yard + delivery  :hammer: ................ free sounds soooooo much better  :clap:

As for roof slates, size of latts depends upon the span, 4"x2" at 16" centres with purlins at about 1.5m (5'-0") sounds fine, Bernd, the codes over here take into account average snow load of between 2 to 3 feet with allowances for drifting and build up in valleys etc.  As for joist centres 16" was the standard for many years using 11/2" x 3/4" tiling battens and 3/8" thick plasterboard for the ceilings; during the 80's (I think ............ could have been the 70's) the joist centres were allowed to be increased up to 24" (600mm), obviously this meant an increase in joist size for traditional roof construction but very much suited trussed rafters ................ the bane of anyone who carries out loft conversions  :hammer:  ............. the other requirements are 2" x 1" tiling battens and 1/2" plasterboard beneath (that's 25mm x 50mm battens and 12.5mm plasterboard for those not stuck in the 60's with me)  :smart:  :coffee:  :bugeye:

hth

CC

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #60 on: May 29, 2009, 03:57:41 PM »
Blimey, does anyone still sell it by the yard...... :nrocks:

Well I don't know what sort of stone you are buying? But we bought two 15 ton waggon loads last year for some groundwork.

Was 85 quid per load plus vat delivered......

Looks ok too...... :ddb:

I'm just about to order some finer stuf for concreting the garage floor, 15 ton again but a little dearer at about 120 the load.

The bigger the chunks the lower the cost. If you can get it yourself it's about 3 quid a ton.

Offline rleete

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #61 on: June 01, 2009, 07:39:07 AM »
I just had stone delivered as a base for the concrete walk.

Crusher run it's called, and cost me $100 for 2.5 tons.  More stone is actually cheaper per ton, as most of the cost is delivery.
Creating scrap, one part at a time

Offline CrewCab

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #62 on: June 02, 2009, 05:09:05 AM »
Looks like me getting the wrong end of the stick Darren  :poke:

I think your talking about hardcore and I'm talking about reclaimed stone walling  :scratch:

CC

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #63 on: June 02, 2009, 06:16:52 AM »
No doubt  :doh:

OTOH, we can just collect all the stone we need, if it's local you want. Otherwise imported (from another area) can be quite expensive.

With my garage I only bought two pallets of blocks, the rest were free.....found most of them dumped on the roadside by the council. Been there for two years that I now about.
So I just tided the area up for them and re-organised the stack...... :)
« Last Edit: June 02, 2009, 09:14:43 AM by Darren »

Offline CrewCab

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #64 on: June 02, 2009, 09:11:24 AM »
So I just tided the area them up for them and re-organised the stack...... :)

very public spirited of you mate  :beer:

CC

Offline John Stevenson

• In Memoriam
  • Nottingham, England.
« Reply #65 on: June 02, 2009, 09:31:12 AM »
True story:-
British Sugar at Colwick got that fed up of people nicking sugar they put a new set of scales in for the trucks. Weighed in empty, less driver and weighed out full, again less driver so they knew to 1 Kg what the truck had on.

Now drivers are not thick whatever you think so they used to put about 20 house bricks in the cab, get weighed in, go round the corner, throw the bricks out, load up, get weighed out and then stop somewhere and take 40 kg of sugar off.

Later when they wanted to build a new warehouse the architects were looking round and one said "look you could save costs by reusing all these old bricks "...............

John Stevenson

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #66 on: June 02, 2009, 05:04:57 PM »
One brick at a time  :lol:

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #67 on: June 05, 2009, 06:14:07 AM »
A bit of sun works wonders... :ddb:

Started on the garage doors, got one done..... :)...just one to go.... :ddb:

Frame is 4x2 and the planks are t&g floorboards, all glued and fixed with pins through the tongues

Top and bottom trimmed after construction to keep a straight line.

Frame 6x2 rawlbolted to the blocks, screwed to the gantry beam at the top and will be concreated in the floor at the bottom.
Nice heavy hinges rebated flush into the frame.

« Last Edit: June 05, 2009, 06:30:16 AM by Darren »

Offline Stilldrillin

• Global Moderator
  • Staveley, Derbyshire. England.
« Reply #68 on: June 05, 2009, 12:22:42 PM »
It`s looking good Darren!  :thumbup:

The word is robust, I think......  :wave:

Pity we`re losing the good weather, after only a week.  ::)

David D (Himself).
David.

Still drilling holes... Sometimes, in the right place!

Still modifying bits of metal... Occasionally, making an improvement!

Offline sbwhart

• Global Moderator
  • Smile, Be Happy, Have Fun and Rock Until you Drop
« Reply #69 on: June 05, 2009, 01:22:50 PM »
Nice work Darren

It looks big enough for a tumble drier, or is it going to be a machine only zone

Stew (himself)

A little bit of clearance never got in the road
 :wave:

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #70 on: June 05, 2009, 02:30:51 PM »
Is a tumble dryer not a machine then Stew  :scratch:

Darren, (never anyone else and rarely himself either)

Offline Divided he ad

• WARNING: LIKES SHINEY THINGS
  • The Collective
  • Between Chester, Wrexham, ruthin & Holywell :-)
« Reply #71 on: June 05, 2009, 03:28:54 PM »
Darren.... Looking good, but one thing..... DO NOT, that is NOT concreate the frame legs into the floor....I take hundreds of these things out a year.

you see, the wood will wick the water up and rot faster than you can whistle dixie, and another thing, if you do want to alter /change anything in future it's a nightmare to get the bug£$rs out!!!  :bang:

seriously, cut the legs so that they are suspended 3mm or so off the finished floor, they'll last a lot longer!

but as said, the doors are looking good...   :thumbup:

Ralph.

I know what I know and need to know more!!!

Offline John Stevenson

• In Memoriam
  • Nottingham, England.
« Reply #72 on: June 05, 2009, 07:49:35 PM »
Agreed, when we moved in where we are now the workshop door  frames were all rotten, dug them out and replaced then with some good reclaimed 6" x 2"

Only lasted about 12 years and these buggers went rotten. By that time the doors were going and they wanted highering anyway,
so supported the end of the building and stuck a big RSJ across. Put some 4" x 2" steel uprights in and then offered a 2" x 2" up to the side of it and welded 4 hinges onto it. Then welded the rest of the door onto the 2 x 2", did the same with the other door and surprise, surprise they fitted exact  :clap:

Panelled in with 19mm exterior ply and a couple of braces in 2 x 2" steel.

John Stevenson

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #73 on: June 06, 2009, 07:17:33 AM »
Noted chaps, I was thinking that the frame lowers would be in concrete with visqueen protecting from the damp.

But thinking about the comments, the frame is exposed to the outside elements and water will run down into the floor.
Thus almost permanently damp in that area.

They shall be felled "at once"

Thanks for the tip  :thumbup:

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #74 on: June 06, 2009, 07:18:46 AM »
Nice work Darren

It looks big enough for a tumble drier, or is it going to be a machine only zone

Stew (himself)

My space....ALL MINE...... :) :) :)

No girlie rubbish allowed..... :ddb: :ddb: :ddb: