Author Topic: Bernd's Large Messy Shop  (Read 31490 times)

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
Bernd's Large Messy Shop
« on: April 16, 2009, 07:58:27 PM »
Ok it's about time I showed off my big shop which is located in the basement of my house.

I'll let the pictures talk for themselves. Orginally I had planned on making 2000 square feet available for a model railroad in HO scale. After almost 10 years in the house my interests have changed to model engineering. I love to tinker with mechincal things, do some wood working and am also interested in electronics. I was going to build a large shop out in back of the house for the wood and metal shop, but that changed in the last couple of years. I decided all I needed for a seperate shop was a place to park a few vehicles and tractors and a boat. Bascially a storage shed. No sense heating two places either at the cost of fuel today.

So we'll start some were near the middle of the basement and go clockwise around.

First pic. That's the entery way from the garage and entrance to what I like to call the Model Shop. Behind the model shop is the utility room. The model shop is heated seperately.

Next is the spiral staircase to the main living area. Books of varying interests on metal working, model railroading and such.

Veiw of the Bridgeport and table saw.

Some of what Bogs hates to work with or should I say alot. There's more on the floor behind the shelve.

It would take to long to explain all that's back there. Sufice it to say it followed me home one day. In the lower right forground is the cabinet sides I've been working on.

In the background is a model railroad layout I started a year or so ago. Again the sides of the kitchen cabinet and in the lower right is a corner cupboard for the kitchen that needs to be installed someday.

Almost back to were we started our tour. A better view of the cupboard. The walls need this treatment through out. Code specifies the basement be insulated. I choose a full wall insulation.

This is inside the model shop at the door. A bit messy. And you wonder why I can't find any tools.

And a pic toward the door. You can see my computer were I spend to much time according to my wife writing about such silly things as how big my shop is.

Well that's about it for the nickel tour. I don't know what that would be in UK, Aussie or Oz money.

If and when I ever get the house done I would like to put in some nice benchs and cabinets in the model shop. Also once I get all the walls insulated I plan on orginizing the whole basememnt better. That is if the wife don't help me to my grave by then. :lol:

Regards,
Bernd
Route of the Black Diamonds

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
Re: Bernd's Large Messy Shop
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2009, 08:12:57 PM »
I decided all I needed for a seperate shop was a place to park a few vehicles and tractors and a boat. Bascially a storage shed.

Here in the uk a storage shed is about 6x4 foot.......

It beggars belief what you might call a warehouse.... :lol:
You will find it a distinct help… if you know and look as if you know what you are doing. (IRS training manual)

Offline usn ret

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2009, 11:23:07 PM »
Brnd,  It appears that you have a substantial amount of fireplace fuel stored in your 'large messy shop'.  It does have potential in that you are not sharing the shop with cars or other domestic devices ie, washer, dryer and freezer.  :D  :D It is a good start and a excellent placeto escape to, the other woman!!!! :bang:
Cliff :beer:
If it isn't broken your not looking hard enough!

Offline John Hill

• The Artful Bodger
  • Madmodder Committee
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2009, 12:02:19 AM »
Bernd, it sure is a nice space, right under the house too is a big plus if that shovel is any indication?  (Surely it is not for coal?)

I wonder though at your train layout and if you are afraid of dust as I understand an extensive layout is impossible to clean dust from, but then again I suppose you might be modelling the Alice Springs railway in which case dust could be the scenery! :med:
From the den of The Artful Bodger

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2009, 08:45:30 AM »
Cliff,

In the first pic if you go down that hallway and make a right you'll run into two freezers and the house heating system.

As far as the wood. A majority is solid cherry, pine and maple. The only pieces that get burned are the smaller chunks.  :)

It is a great place to escape to. Of course then you have to listen to the wife "stomp around" when she's mad at you.  :lol:

Bernd

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2009, 08:51:49 AM »
John,

Nope the shovel is for swarf and saw dust and the snow.

The dust would be a problem since I do all the wood work in the basement. Hopefully I'll be able to cut down on the dust once the majority of wood work is done. In the pic I point to the model railroad you'll notice I have thin plastic rolled up and tied to the ceiling near the I beam. I can let that down and keep that area pretty dust free.

Until I have all the trim work done in the house it's just going to be a bit (alot) dusty.

Bernd

bogstandard

« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2009, 10:20:25 AM »
Bernd,

Nope the shovel is for swarf and saw dust and the snow.

Methinks you are telling us porkies, a shovel that size can only be used for one thing.

Shovelling bulls**t.

Bogs

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2009, 01:16:52 PM »
 :( Oh alright you caught me. That's exactly what it's for.  :lol:   :lol:   :lol:

Bernd

Offline Nightshift

« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2009, 03:05:41 PM »
Bernd ... I'm curious to know how you got the Bridgeport mill into your basement? I have a 48", Series 1 2hp Bridgeport sitting in my garage as I explore options on how to get it down the stairs from the garage to my basement machine shop. Bill

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2009, 03:16:16 PM »
Bernd ... I'm curious to know how you got the Bridgeport mill into your basement? I have a 48", Series 1 2hp Bridgeport sitting in my garage as I explore options on how to get it down the stairs from the garage to my basement machine shop. Bill

I sent you a PM. I'll also post the answer here. Check out this thread. http://madmodder.net/index.php?topic=381.0

Hope that helps.

Regards,
Bernd

Offline CrewCab

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2009, 05:19:40 PM »
2000 square feet

Oh I wish  :med: .................. Bernd over here the average semi detached house is around 400 - 500 ft2 it must be great to have that sort of space available ................. love the picture tour  :headbang:

CC

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2009, 06:09:15 PM »
Thanks CC.

Having such a large house has it's disadvantages too. Too much to clean, to much lawn to mow, to long a driveway to plow in the winter......shall I go on?  :) Did I mention I haven't finished the house yet. It was started in 1997. We moved in in 2001 and I've been working on it ever since.

Oh and one more disadvantage is you've got a bigger place to loose your tools in.  :lol:

Here's a build thread of the house on my web site if your interested. http://www.kingstonemodeleng.com/MiscShop/Station/station.htm

It's gotten a bit further than the last picture shows. I haven't updated it because progress was so slow.

Bernd

Offline CrewCab

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2009, 06:15:33 PM »
That's an interesting thread Bernd, you really ought to update it ............. hope Dad's OK ............ nice brickwork  :headbang:

CC

Offline CrewCab

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2009, 06:18:21 PM »
to much lawn to mow,

Good point, I hate gardening ............. but it takes longer to get the mower out and then put it away than it does to cut my tiny lawn .....  so small can have some good points  :thumbup:

CC

Offline SPiN Racing

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2009, 02:48:28 AM »
Cool house.. and very cool construction method...
SPiN Racing

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2009, 09:09:00 AM »
Cool house.. and very cool construction method...

Thanks Scott. It's something new in this area.

And speaking of cool. We're going to have our first 90 degree day up here in NY. I'll be in the basememnt were it's a cool 70 degree, perhaps working on one of my steam projects.  :ddb:  Don't tell the wife because I know I'll get a  :whip:  :wack:  :hammer:                  :lol:                                                                  :lol:                                                  :lol:

Bernd

Offline tinkerer

« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2009, 07:02:34 PM »
Yep yep, I believe you ae right. :bow: :bow: I wonder how many metal workers started with wood. :scratch: That bridgeport is fantastic and the move was awesome.
Tink

The desire accomplished is sweet to the soul.
Prov 13:19

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2009, 09:05:36 AM »
Tink,

Actually I started in metal, moved to wood. Now I'm doing both wood and metal, with a little plastic and styrofoam thrown in.  :lol:

Bernd

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2011, 10:40:33 PM »
All right it's time to update this thread.  :bugeye:

I've gotten tired of my smaller shop being messy and I've decided to revamp it. About 10 years ago I built a small room in the basement for doing my model railroad and other modeling work. I had good intentions on putting in some nice work benches. As the pictures on my website will attest to I never reached that stage of having some nice work benches. The whole little shop turned into a horizontal storage area. So today I got some supplies and proceeded to remedy the situation.

Here's a combined pic of when I started and what it looks like today.

For those that have joined in the last two years haven't seen what I mean about horizontal storage. Take a look at this page on my web site and follow the little shop build. Also I've updated that page with new pictures of the "mess" and what's going on. It's all explained here at The Model Shop

Enjoy your visit to the shop. Oh....bring some coffee. :coffee:

Bernd

Offline dsquire

• In Memoriam
  • Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2011, 11:22:56 PM »
Bernd

Man, I'm beat already just looking. I've got to have a nap and get some rest.  :doh:

What kind of surgery did you have? Did they give you 2 hearts instead of 1. They must have done something right with all the ambition that you seem to have lately.  :D :D

Cheers  :beer:

Don

Good, better, best.
Never let it rest,
'til your good is better,
and your better best

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
« Reply #20 on: September 20, 2011, 08:52:11 AM »
Hey Don, most engines run better after a valve job, right?  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

I've just gotten tired of not finding either tools or projects. That's why I never get anything done, to busy looking for stuff. It only took 60 years to realize that.  :doh:

Bernd

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
« Reply #21 on: September 20, 2011, 05:13:58 PM »
Got a bit more done.

The benchwork to  hold up the counter top.

That'll be it for a while. Have some other work to do before I can get back to this.

Bernd

Offline Powder Keg

• Global Moderator
  • Machinist Extraordinaire
« Reply #22 on: September 20, 2011, 10:19:03 PM »
How are you going to find anything if you put it all up?  :lol:

Looking good man!

~Wes~
Wesley P
A Gismo ??? If it has a flywheel or spins and is made with small parts. I'll take one! If it makes noise, moves, or requires frequent oiling and dusting it's a better deal yet. It's especially right if its shiny and bright; but if it's dirty and dull it wont mater at all...

Offline Russell Nash

• Obsessive Compulsive Slob
« Reply #23 on: September 21, 2011, 03:02:13 AM »
I'm moving into a new place and thought my new 300 sq.ft shop was big.  I plan on setting up the storage area before I even get the work area going.  If I just drop my scrap in a pile, I'll never get it set up. 

The beast is a thing of beauty and I'd love to have one.  The only access to my shop is through the house and down a flight of stairs with a bend at the top and at the bottom.  I guess I'll have to find something a bit smaller than a BP.  Oh well, I have the next 40 years to figure it out.
Veni, Vidi, Velcro

I came, I saw, I stuck around

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
« Reply #24 on: September 21, 2011, 09:17:00 AM »
@ Wes, Thanks. It's that "Round-tuit" that is helping in this case.

Russell, I designed the house just so I could get large equipment like the BP in the basement. I knew I wanted a somewhat large machine shop.

Overnight the Horizontal Storage Elves showed up and moved everything from the small table to the new workbench. They don't know it yet but they did me a favor.  :lol:

Offline Russell Nash

« Reply #25 on: September 21, 2011, 10:59:59 AM »
If you built the place so you could get stuff into the basement, you should have put a mechanic's pit in the garage.  You could have lowered the BP down into the pit right onto rollers.  I am of course ignoring the price of doing something like that, but oh well. 

The first house I remember had a double-wide flight of stairs that went right to the back yard from the basement.  It was totally wasted on my father, but I'd love to have one of those now.  Then again, the new property is only 2500 sqft.  That would take a chunk out of my yard. 
Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
« Reply #26 on: September 22, 2011, 01:57:25 PM »
Rusell, hard for me to get over the fact that you only have 2500sqft of property. My house is 2300 sqft, basement is the same size. I guess that's the case when living in a populated area in Europe.

Anyway, I've got the last of the bench work put up. The hard part is done. Now for the details. Here's a couple of pics or if you like here's the link to the web page it's on.
 http://www.kingstonemodeleng.com/MachineShop/shop/shop.htm

That's about it for now. Have somemore cleaning up to do.

Bernd

Offline rleete

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #27 on: September 22, 2011, 02:14:26 PM »
Shoulda replaced the floor before putting in the benches.
Creating scrap, one part at a time

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
« Reply #28 on: September 22, 2011, 03:50:46 PM »
They're individual squares. I've got a few packages left to fix those. Other thing I was thinking of doing is once everything is in place to put a new floor on top of the old one.

Bernd

Offline Russell Nash

« Reply #29 on: September 22, 2011, 06:49:47 PM »
The house is a decent size, but over four floors. 

It's all a question of where I wanted to put my time and money.  I didn't want to spend either on commuting or driving to the store or cutting grass for that matter.  We only need the one car, and we put less than 5000 miles a year on it.  In exchange for that, we have a small property.  We're on a "play street" with a "walking pace" speed limit, so the whole block (about 30 houses worth) is a big playground for my kids and the 30+ others on the street.  The yard is just a place for the dog to relax in.

If we all liked the same thing, the world would be really boring. ::)

I guess I'll mark myself as  :offtopic:  and return this thread to it's regularly scheduled programming.
Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Offline ncollar

« Reply #30 on: January 02, 2012, 12:27:24 AM »
The construction looks very good. The problem I have with surfaces, they become a place to sit anything down and before I how what happened it is loaded up. Nice work
Nelson Collar :coffee:

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
« Reply #31 on: January 02, 2012, 08:00:10 AM »
Thank you Nelson,

I'm glad I'm not the only one with that problem. Case in point, that last picture I took of the bench, well look at it now.  :palm:  :(

Those messy shop elfs were at it again while I was dreaming of finishing that project I'm working on. I figured it wouldn't happen again by putting my elf guard on duty but as you can see she also slept through the whole thing.  :Doh:

See Snub, that's why your avatar dissapeared. She wasn't whatching.

I've threatened her saying I'm going to take her kitty marijuana (cat nip) away from her and this is the answer I get. :wack:

One of these days I'm going to add some drawers and hang some cabinets so I can better organize my tools and stock. But I think those elfs will still play havoc with all that horizontal storage area.  :D

Offline dsquire

• In Memoriam
  • Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
« Reply #32 on: January 02, 2012, 08:49:12 AM »
Bernd

I think you are right about the horizontal storage area. Bench tops should be on a 30 to 45 degree angle and have a ledge at the front to keep things from sliding off. This ledge should be controlled by a 12 hour timer. If you don't clean it off when you are finished for the day then the edge will retract while your sleeping giving you a clean bench to start the next day with. After several secession like this one might get in the habit of cleaning the benches at quitting time.
  :lol: :lol:
Don't think that I am picking on you Bernd as I haven't seen my bench or desk top in so long that I'm not sure I still have one but there is something under all the clutter holding it up. (reminder to self  :poke: :poke::doh:  :doh:

Hope you have a great New Year in 2012  :D :D :D

Cheers  :beer:

Don

PS: What project am I supposed to be pushing you on? I have laid off for a while and can't remember where to light the fire.  :lol: :lol: :lol:

Good, better, best.
Never let it rest,
'til your good is better,
and your better best

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
« Reply #33 on: January 02, 2012, 07:41:52 PM »
Oh Don I don't take your pokes serious. It's all in fun.  :clap:

I don't think I like the idea you came up with. I have very tiny parts for those model railroad engines. Well maybe one good dump and I would keep those benches clean. But I've heard it said that a clean bench is the sign of a sick mind. Now I know the wife calls me sick some times.  I have to wonder why. :lol:

That project your supposed to keep  :poke: me is the Shay. Remember now?  :palm:

Offline rleete

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #34 on: January 02, 2012, 09:46:20 PM »
How's about those kitchen cabinets?   :poke:

The PM Coke bottle engine?    :poke:   :poke:

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
« Reply #35 on: January 03, 2012, 07:36:26 AM »
How's about those kitchen cabinets?   :poke:

They are way back on the burner. Working on the trim work in the hallway. Kitchen will be the last to get attention.  :med:

The PM Coke bottle engine?    :poke:   :poke:

Right now my interest is running very high on building my model railroad. When I get burned out on that I'll probably get back to doing some machining. Will it be the bottle engine?  :med: Don't know. Might be the 4 truck Shay Don was  :poke: me about. Variety, spice of live.  :drool:

Hey what happened? We didn't get together for the holidays. Guess that one was my fault for not contacting you. Got a free Saturday? I need to get out of the house. I'm getting cabin fever.  :loco:

Bernd

Offline rleete

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #36 on: January 03, 2012, 09:15:42 AM »
Yeah, the holidays were busy.  I menat to call, but it just never happened.

I'm home most weekends; you should come out and see the "new" shop.  I've cleaned up and reorganized almost everything.  Give me a call, or PM if you don't still have my number.  I'm home from work by 5PM.

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
« Reply #37 on: January 04, 2012, 08:53:06 AM »
P.M sent.

Bernd