Author Topic: Side Valve IC engine  (Read 20285 times)

Offline NormanV

• United Kingdom
Side Valve IC engine
« on: February 11, 2015, 10:25:15 AM »
I am in two minds whether or not to post this project, I don't have a huge amount of confidence that I will complete it successfully.
This engine is based on a design by Edgar Westbury as a 10cc side valve water cooled engine which he named the Whippet. The cylinder and crankcase are cast in one piece and at the size he designed it I have no chance of casting it accurately enough. I decided to double up on the size, this will give me an engine that stands approximately 240mm high and have a capacity of 80cc.
Here is the pattern for the main casting.

Offline NormanV

• United Kingdom
Re: Side Valve IC engine
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2015, 10:30:55 AM »
For the hollow crankcase I decided to make the core in two pieces. The mould for the crankcase core was made as a negative mould and packed with sand wetted with sodium silicate (thanks Andrew) and placed in a large plastic bag that was inflated with CO2 from a fire extinguisher. That was quite exciting as the first attempt tore the bag to shreds due to the pressure of the gas. The second attempt with a more delicate touch of the trigger did the trick. Here is the mould: I made it to separate into 5 pieces to allow removal of the core.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2015, 12:37:37 PM by NormanV »

Offline vtsteam

• Global Moderator
  • Republic of Vermont
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2015, 10:32:49 AM »
That's quite a project Norman!

And mahogany patterns, too.... :thumbup:
I love it when a Plan B comes together!
Steve
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sDubB0-REg

Offline NormanV

• United Kingdom
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2015, 10:36:13 AM »
The cylinder core was more complicated. I first made a split wooden male pattern from which I cast a two piece cement mould. This was again filled with sand wetted with sodium silicate and placed in a bag of CO2 as before.
The patterns were made with Sapele which is has similar working properties to mahogany, and was free!

Offline NormanV

• United Kingdom
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2015, 10:38:07 AM »
Here are the two cores, there was a little part of the sand that broke away but it won't cause too much of a problem.

Offline NormanV

• United Kingdom
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2015, 10:39:37 AM »
I shall just use greensand for the outside of the mould, I'll have a go tomorrow if the weather holds up.

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2015, 12:35:05 PM »
Nice one Norman  :thumbup: If you run out of sodium silicate let me know.

I was going to ask if your Granny knew that you'd sawn up her sideboard, but Steve got in first  :ddb:
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline NormanV

• United Kingdom
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2015, 02:00:08 PM »
Thank's Andrew, that's a kind offer. My granny died nearly 50 years ago so I have nothing of hers to cut up. It's just that I am a good customer of a cabinet maker! I bought a display cabinet for a ship model that I built. You can see the build log here: http://www.modelshipbuilder.com/e107_plugins/forum/forum_viewtopic.php?4006

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2015, 03:36:35 PM »
A man of many talents - that's a fine model  :bow:

Was that executed when you were on the Falklands?
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline NormanV

• United Kingdom
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2015, 04:06:09 PM »
I built in when I retired to UK. I had more time.

Offline kayzed1

« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2015, 04:22:07 PM »
Nice work Norman, if you are making casting kits i will buy one Sir, i think i could manage some thing that size :beer:
Lyn.

Offline NormanV

• United Kingdom
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2015, 12:01:20 PM »
I had a go at casting it today. Here are the cores in place in the mould ready for the top half to go on. Although I had built the patterns as accurately as possible I noticed that the wall thicknesses for the casting were not even.
Also some of the sand had broken away but that was not a problem as it would just result in bigger flashing around the edge.

Offline NormanV

• United Kingdom
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2015, 12:05:34 PM »
At first sight the casting looked ok, then as I cleared the sand I found the problems! I think that I will reduce the size of the crankcase core to make it a bit more forgiving on wall thicknesses and pour faster.

RobWilson

« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2015, 01:08:38 PM »
Looking good Norman  :thumbup:

I can see this being an interesting build  :dremel:

Rob

Offline vtsteam

• Global Moderator
  • Republic of Vermont
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2015, 09:29:15 PM »
Norman, nice try!! I'm sure you'll get it.  :bow: :bow:  :bow:
I love it when a Plan B comes together!
Steve
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sDubB0-REg

Offline Ginger Nut

« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2015, 12:04:42 AM »
 :thumbup:

Norman thanks for the WiP

Offline NormanV

• United Kingdom
« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2015, 02:23:29 PM »
I knew that this casting was going to be tricky. I have had several attempts at making the sand cores. The crankcase core fell apart on the second attempt, the CO2 didn't penetrate. On the third attempt it came out perfectly. The cylinder core was much more trouble. It just would not release from the mould and after four attempts I gave up and made a straight mould using a cardboard tube. I will have to bore out the waterspace.
I cast it today, I made sure that I vented the mould much more that usual and I used tin cans over the pouring hole and the riser to give a greater head for more pressure as I poured. It went well and when I knocked it out I found that it was almost perfect. There is one place where the metal did not flow fully, leaving a void. I think that I will be able to patch it or fill it rather than make another casting, I can claim that it is a part of the original design! I didn't remelt the original casting as I thought that it would be useful to practice on.
I will post a picture of the new casting tomorrow.

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2015, 03:00:16 PM »
Norman, put some icing sugar in the sodium silicate when making the core to improve breakdown
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline NormanV

• United Kingdom
« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2015, 03:51:26 PM »
Andrew, I wish that I had known that before. I had a heck of a job getting the core out of the first casting!

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2015, 04:03:42 PM »
Oh well .... now you do  :med:

You can buy Sodium Silicate already laced with glucose, but I've always found raiding the larder is more convenient - anyway some times you want it rock hard.
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline NormanV

• United Kingdom
« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2015, 09:35:25 AM »
When I said that my latest casting was almost perfect I meant it relative to the previous one! What I should have said was that it is usable and it shouldn't be necessary to do another.
Getting the core sand out is a problem, I've soaked it and attacked it with a kitchen fork and finally had to resort to an electric drill with a masonry bit. I still haven't got it all out but I needed a rest from it.
Well here it is, as I mentioned before it will need a cover plate made for the area where the camshaft will be,(at least I will be able to see what the cams are doing as I assemble it). It will also need some filler for the rough areas of the casting.
Some parts of the pattern had no draught built into it, I had hoped that when I rapped it I could loosen it enough to allow removal from the mould. That was not the case and as a consequence quite a lot of the edges of the sand broke away resulting in very large flashing around the joint area. Lesson learnt, time spent getting the pattern right will pay off.
My angle grinder burnt out a few months ago so I now have the choice of a lot of filing and sawing or to spend some money and buy another grinder. Roll on car boot season!

Offline NormanV

• United Kingdom
« Reply #21 on: March 20, 2015, 05:32:20 PM »
It's a shame that I no longer have an angle grinder. I have had to do the fettling of this casting with a hacksaw and a file. It is now looking presentable.

Offline appletree

« Reply #22 on: March 21, 2015, 08:47:05 AM »
Looking good, I admire the projects you take on and the fact you do it all yourself. I was in B and Q this morning and the had Mackalister (spelling?) angle grinder for £20 not too bad given that its brand new.

Somethings are so much cheaper than they used to be my first angle grinder was £43 in 1977. I bought a professional Makita last year on special offer for the same price.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2015, 05:43:11 PM by appletree »

Offline krv3000

« Reply #23 on: March 21, 2015, 05:35:45 PM »
hi well dune

RobWilson

« Reply #24 on: March 22, 2015, 04:24:57 AM »
Looking good Norman  :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :thumbup:

Rob