Author Topic: Coke Forge Build  (Read 131028 times)

Offline krv3000

Re: Coke Forge Build
« Reply #225 on: November 22, 2015, 06:31:40 PM »
brill as per rob  :D

RobWilson

« Reply #226 on: November 24, 2015, 02:46:49 PM »
Cheers Bob  :beer:

Rob, seeing you working happily on the forge gets me wanting to work metal again! You're doing a great job (as always)! :clap: :bow:

Hi Steve ,I must say it's good to be back in the shop torturing defenceless lumps of steel    :dremel:

A wee update , tonight I made the hood corner panel .

Slowly getting there  :)

Rob

Offline millwright

• Leeds West Yorshire
« Reply #227 on: November 24, 2015, 03:28:54 PM »
Aye Rob its a canny looking barbie  is that, the steaks will be done in no time at all with the blower on.
 :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Offline doubleboost

• Madmodder Committee
  • Newcastle Upon Tyne
« Reply #228 on: November 24, 2015, 04:31:53 PM »
It is starting to get a bit of size about it now Mate :drool: :drool: :drool:
Be heavy as well  :bugeye: :bugeye: :bugeye:
John

Offline AdeV

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #229 on: November 24, 2015, 06:39:49 PM »

It is starting to get a bit of size about it now Mate :drool: :drool: :drool:

...said the actress to the bishop!  :lol: (sorry)
Cheers!
Ade.
--
Occasionally: Zhengzhou, China. An even longer way from anywhere...

Offline Pete W.

« Reply #230 on: November 25, 2015, 08:21:55 AM »
Hi there, all,

I'm a bit confused - I thought welding galvanised steel was a No-No!?!?  Please explain? 
Best regards,

Pete W.

If you can keep your head when all about you are losing theirs, you haven't seen the latest design change-note!

Offline John Rudd

« Reply #231 on: November 25, 2015, 09:15:50 AM »
Galvy can be welded...just grind off the coating, use plenty ventilation avoid breathing the fumes...
eccentric millionaire financed by 'er indoors

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #232 on: November 25, 2015, 10:05:42 AM »
It's the fumes that cause problems to the welder - if you get 'galv poisoning' your head starts to spin and you feel dizzy. Drink lots of milk asap.

The zinc will interfere with the integrity of the weld, so don't weld galvanised sheet for use in nuclear pressure vessels  :zap: But for every day run of the mill stuff it's not a major issue.

The galvanising can be removed physically with a grinder etc., or chemically with an acid.
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

RobWilson

« Reply #233 on: November 25, 2015, 11:57:32 AM »
Hi there, all,

I'm a bit confused - I thought welding galvanised steel was a No-No!?!?  Please explain?

Hi Pete , I have never had a problem with welding Galvanized sheet steel ,been welding it for years ,  safe as houses , yerh if you're a complete tit and breathe the fumes then you get what you deserve . As with any welding/brazing/soldering  operation the fumes are bad for you . , Over on Idiots forge iron it's a different story , it's instant death if you do .,,,,,,,,,,,,,and the sky will fall in lol .

Rob

Offline AdeV

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #234 on: November 25, 2015, 01:12:37 PM »
All the metal I've been welding into my Jaaaag is galv, just because I happen to have a "few dozen" square feet of it that I scored a while back. It's hard to tell if the Zinc fumes are affecting me as I was already  :loco: mad before I began the project!  :lol:
Cheers!
Ade.
--

RobWilson

« Reply #235 on: November 25, 2015, 01:16:21 PM »
Well I did not want to mention your twitch Ade   :poke: ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,I think  the fume from burning underseal are worse  :lol:

Rob

Offline vtsteam

• Global Moderator
  • Republic of Vermont
« Reply #236 on: November 25, 2015, 10:04:17 PM »
Breathing in enough of anything including oxygen will kill ya so don't take this in any way as a suggestion to inhale molten zinc in order to get healthy, but on the other hand it's estimated that a couple billion people suffer from zinc deficiency on this planet. And it's particularly common in old fogeys like me. Occasional light exposure doesn't scare me. I minimize it by removing or welding outside, etc. but it isn't lead, or cadmium, or arsenic, and frankly the buzz box welding rods I use are a lot worse.

Unlike the famous cumulative metal poisons, your body cannot store zinc, so you actually need some zinc every day. Best way is in food, of course.

Here, zinc deficiency, read all about it:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zinc_deficiency

I love it when a Plan B comes together!
Steve
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sDubB0-REg

Offline AdeV

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #237 on: November 26, 2015, 06:17:59 AM »
Well I did not want to mention your twitch Ade   :poke: ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,I think  the fume from burning underseal are worse  :lol:

Hehe (twitch) don't worry about it, happens (twitch) all the time  :zap:

Underseal, ugh, rotten stuff. Welding to it is really hard, I've still got the 1/2" diameter burn mark on my arm where a big gob of white hot welding spatter burned through every layer of clothing & tried to eat its way through to my elbow from the inside. Ouch.
Cheers!
Ade.
--

Offline Pete W.

« Reply #238 on: November 26, 2015, 08:27:06 AM »

SNIP!

Unlike the famous cumulative metal poisons, your body cannot store zinc, so you actually need some zinc every day. Best way is in food, of course.

Here, zinc deficiency, read all about it:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zinc_deficiency

An uncle of mine (long since gone) had a smallholding that included a deep-litter poultry house.  Townie visitors would ask 'Do you provide them with crushed shell so they have calcium to make the eggshells?'  His standard reply was 'Naah, there's more available calcium in a cabbage leaf than there is in ten buckets full of that stuff!!'  He never was one to suffer fools gladly but I think he could have been a bit more gentle. 
Best regards,

Pete W.

If you can keep your head when all about you are losing theirs, you haven't seen the latest design change-note!

RobWilson

« Reply #239 on: January 26, 2016, 03:57:52 PM »
Hi Chaps  :wave:

A wee bit of an update , I cleared the corner of the shop for the forge and tried it out for size .

I think I will repurpose the fan from the now scrapped Cupola build to use as an extractor , well at least know I can have a think on which way to do the ducting .

Cheers Rob 

Offline Joe d

« Reply #240 on: January 26, 2016, 04:35:03 PM »
Looking good in place, Rob.  Is the steel chimney you built a few years ago still within reach of this corner of the shop?

JOe

RobWilson

« Reply #241 on: January 26, 2016, 04:51:36 PM »
Cheers  Joe

Sadly not , and the chimney will soon be gone  :(   looks like plan Z  :lol:

Rob

Offline krv3000

« Reply #242 on: January 26, 2016, 05:09:38 PM »
as per rob brill

Offline Andrew Wildman

« Reply #243 on: February 01, 2016, 04:24:52 PM »
looks good...and reminds me to buy a fire extinguisher for the shed.  Job for the weekend.

Offline Arbalist

« Reply #244 on: February 13, 2016, 01:58:45 PM »

An uncle of mine (long since gone) had a smallholding that included a deep-litter poultry house.  Townie visitors would ask 'Do you provide them with crushed shell so they have calcium to make the eggshells?'  His standard reply was 'Naah, there's more available calcium in a cabbage leaf than there is in ten buckets full of that stuff!!'  He never was one to suffer fools gladly but I think he could have been a bit more gentle.

I don't keep hens but it does  make you wonder why they sell Oystershell then doesn't it?

http://www.ukpoultrysupplies.co.uk/products/poultry-grit.html

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #245 on: February 13, 2016, 02:16:26 PM »
Hens need something in their crop to help digest food - it's a mechanical thing !

http://www.tillysnest.com/2012/01/crop-issues-html/
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline Arbalist

« Reply #246 on: February 13, 2016, 02:48:16 PM »
Not entirely.

https://poultrykeeper.com/keeping-chickens-faq/why-do-chickens-need-grit-oystershell/

"Soluble grit is digested by the hen and contains calcium, most of which is used to form strong egg shells. The majority of an egg-shell is made up of calcium carbonate and a constant supply of oyster shell grit ensures they have sufficient calcium in their bodies."

RobWilson

« Reply #247 on: February 13, 2016, 03:03:54 PM »
Maybe you could start a thread about chickens   :wack:

Rob

Offline Arbalist

« Reply #248 on: February 13, 2016, 03:49:18 PM »
Bentonite cat litter has a multitude of uses doesn't it! I made up some refractory for a small forge using it in the recipe with Portland cement and perlite and it worked well.

Interesting , any chance of a few photos of the forge ?

Rob

I built it primarily for heat treating blades but never used it in earnest as we moved house and I didn't have space for it. The home made refractory worked well though and you could get up to welding temperature on a few handfuls of charcoal.

RobWilson

« Reply #249 on: February 14, 2016, 09:27:51 AM »
 :thumbup: Arbalist , were you planing on doing blade smithing ? 

Meanwhile  I was getting sick of moving gear about the workshop this morning  :bang:  I decided to upcycle (snigger, :loco: )  my  Cupola blower .

The motor will be used re used sometime in the future , the fan I think will be used on the forge as the extractor and the wee stand became a hammer and tong rack .

Cheers Rob