The Shop > Finishing

Electric etching

(1/6) > >>

Joules:
Moved from Rob's Forge thread as it was getting off the topic as pointed out  :palm:  Like we ever get side tracked....

Just had 5 mins whilst the wife is out, so etching the dogs bowl in the kitchen was a go.  I used a 12v power supply salt water solution applied with cotton bud.

I just grabbed some packing tape and a blade to make the mask.  I got the polarity wrong so loaded the cotton bud with copper before I reversed polarity and forgot to change bud, hence the copper plate, might be useful in the future ?

Clean up and buff with a Garryflex block.  I really didn't know what result I was going to get so its nothing fancy.   It really was so simple to do, with proper stencils I can see this being useful for marking tooling or even applying a surface finish.  A new skill learn't....   Result   :thumbup:

p.s   Just watch the chlorine fumes coming off.

RobWilson:
Hi  Joules , was the dog impressed ?  :lol: :lol: :lol:

Good to see you gave it a try  :thumbup:  , vinyl art work would make a good mask .

Are You going to develop  the process ?

I see your a fellow Garryflex user  :dremel: , there great to have around the shop , I cut mine up to make all shapes and stick bits to lolly sticks .

Cheers Rob

PS I dont mined my thread going south  :med:

Joules:
He wasn't chuffed as he thought he was going to get a bonus feed.  He also looked somewhat suspicious of his Dad hooking his bowl upto cables    :zap:

As it happens I have a vinyl cutter on hand, so YES I will be trying some more fancy stuff and try etching with other acids, citric, vinegar and anything that is less likely to raise eyebrows as I dispose of it.  I even tried a Sharpy to mask but the result was not as good as an etch resistant pen.

RobWilson:
Hi Joules , this looks interesting , I may make one ,canny wee project  :dremel:.

http://www.logiudicecustomknives.com/knifeshop/etcher/

This video uses same.

Seams to get good results  :thumbup:

Rob

Cheers for fixing vid  Don

Joules:
Cheers for the link Rob,  I have been playing with household acids with mixed results.  Can't beat saltwater on steel for results.

Could I be so cheeky to ask of you a master class in deep etching like you do with your name plates, they are just great and something I would like to do here. 

The above etch tests are on stainless steel using masking tape for the stencil.  The J stencil lifted and got some pitting as I hovered the bud in the water.  If you keep pressure on the tape with your damp cotton bud the etch doesn't creep under the edges as I thought it would.  Literally I only kept the bud on for 3-4 seconds then moved along the mask, did this for a couple of minutes to get a deep etch.  I used a Sharpie to highlight the etch as the above electric spark hardly shows on camera.    Damp is better than wet, use a bit of stainless tig rod to apply current and pressure to the cotton bud, so you don't rot your croc clip.   

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version