Author Topic: Potato Cannon  (Read 12829 times)

Offline Dave-R

Potato Cannon
« on: March 04, 2015, 06:12:04 AM »
Hi All
Im new to the forum, so thought Id try a few things out, posting a video for one
Here is (i hope) a video of a black powder potato cannon I made a few years ago, no more driving miles to a field to plant potatoes, I can now do it from just outside the front door :D

« Last Edit: March 04, 2015, 11:06:58 AM by dsquire »

Offline Joules

Re: Potato Cannon
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2015, 06:57:09 AM »
 This would be great for chipping the spuds via the commecial jets that fly over us.
Honour your mentors, and pay it forward.

Offline velocette

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2015, 02:57:08 PM »
hi
Not impressed with the whole project bad design all round recoil not considered at all.
Start again and do it correctly.
This "Mad Modder" not "Mod Madder"

Eric

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2015, 03:29:32 PM »
Considering the replies to Simon Heslop's post regarding the legalities of making black powder muzzle loaders in the UK for re-enactment events, where does this cannon fit in the scheme of things  :bugeye:

http://madmodder.net/index.php/topic,10486.msg119415.html#msg119415
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline micktoon

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2015, 05:34:49 PM »
  Hi Dave, I remember the old spud cannon, I am sure it was secured down so it did not recoil ? , I suppose it it had grid of blades on the end it could become chip cannon lol  :lol: 

Cheers Mick

Offline Dave-R

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2015, 06:13:02 PM »
Aye Mick I normally secure it at the front with a peg in the ground but on this occasion I think I was a bit excessive with the black powder :doh:

Eric I must admit recoil didn't come into my initial calculations in fact there were no calculations that I can remember, as you would of witnessed with its trial firings i.e me hiding behind a wall with a longer piece of string :zap:

Awemawson as for use for re-enactment I've scoured the history books and can't find any major battle in uk history where the high velocity potato was an effective projectile

Offline vtsteam

• Global Moderator
  • Republic of Vermont
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2015, 09:37:02 PM »
Where did the potato go?
I love it when a Plan B comes together!
Steve
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sDubB0-REg

Offline SwarfnStuff

« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2015, 11:57:06 PM »
Vtsteam, Probably still in orbit? OR, perhaps a spud shaped cloud someplace?
Converting good metal into swarf sometimes ending up with something useful. ;-)

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2015, 02:51:30 AM »

Awemawson as for use for re-enactment I've scoured the history books and can't find any major battle in uk history where the high velocity potato was an effective projectile

A little bit of 'point missing' there I think!
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline steampunkpete

« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2015, 02:09:34 AM »
On the one hand I don't want to come across as a H&S killjoy. On the other hand I've seen the aftermath of accidents on people's lives, and on one unforgettable occasion saw a death occur. One lesson that I took from that is never walk away when something needs to be said.

However you boil it down, and a fun thing as it is, there is enough energy tied up in that to cause serious injury, and it seems clear that the necessary care isn't being taken. Apart from the recoil, the guy loading it walked in front of the muzzle when it was loaded. Those of you who are archers or shooters will understand the significance of that.

Hmm, I think Eric may have been tactful here.

Have fun, but have fun safely, you really don't want to be remembered as a recipient of the Darwin Award.

Offline vtsteam

• Global Moderator
  • Republic of Vermont
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2015, 09:20:39 AM »
I'm still hoping the range and impact perimeter were determined beforehand and absolutely known to be unpopulated.

Again, where did the potato go?
I love it when a Plan B comes together!
Steve
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sDubB0-REg

Offline Jonny

« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2015, 01:02:43 PM »
Dave it makes no odds whether potatoe or anything else, simple to substitute for something else.
Not going to mention two implications and suggest remove from public domain unless have the licences.

Offline Dave-R

« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2015, 02:15:27 PM »
Hi all
 seems like I caused a bit of a stir with the post, not to offend anyone I'll take it off, just to say it's quite an old video, at the time black powder was readily available to buy over the counter at any gun shop and the location is one of the most remote areas of the country the cannon pointing toward moorland for which there is no habitation for miles and I had a clear view of the direction it was headed. I do understand the concerns so as I've said I'll take it down.
Cheers
Dave

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2015, 02:43:14 PM »
Probably for the best Dave - my concern was some youngster trying to emulate you and getting badly hurt.
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex