Author Topic: 3 Phase Motor Starters  (Read 13740 times)

Offline hermetic

Re: 3 Phase Motor Starters
« Reply #25 on: November 10, 2015, 03:55:47 PM »
Like the lathe, nice! the milling machine is a god one too! It is odd about the lathe gearbox, and on the face of it, if you are pushing the lever past the detent position to make it engage properly, something is loose. Just a thought, would a partially sheared key on the change shaft mean that the dog was going too far one way and not far enough the other? It certainly is a conundrum, Next question is can you get the selection mechanism out without taking the shafts out? If you can, all well and good. So what is going on here? are you resurrecting a disused machine shop, are you going in to business or is it just a hobby. Some general pics of the workshop would be interesting, how long did you say it was since it was last used?
         Unfortunately I have had the unpleasant job of repelling a rat attack from next doors chicken coop, they have got into the roof of my workshop. I have blocked up the holes, re decked the damage on the roof, tomorrow I have to finish off.................then start taking down the insulation (polystyrene) between the joists to see if they are still there......Oh Joy, I'm so looking forward to my very own room 101 experience.
Phil
Man who says it cannot be done should not disturb man doing it! https://www.youtube.com/user/philhermetic/videos?

Offline RussellT

Churchill Lathe and Bridgeport Mill
« Reply #26 on: November 11, 2015, 04:25:29 PM »
Thanks for the interest Phil.

I've stood wiggling the gear lever to see how much lost motion there is and there's nowhere near enough to make up for the distance it has to be pushed passed the correct position, so I'm forced to the conclusion that there must be something wrong with the position of the gears on the shaft but I can't see what.  The most likely option at the moment is to get it all working and make a suitable wedge for the gear lever - then if the problem gets worse maybe it'll be easier to see what's wrong.

It is sort of resurrecting a machine shop.  My friend's family business was started by his grandfather and was an engineering business.  Over the years car repairs and selling petrol became more important so the machine shop was closed.  He kept some of the machines having done an apprenticeship as a turner and they were moved to the cow shed next to his house.  There was a three phase supply there which had been used for the milking machine but they have languished there for 20 years without ever being connected.  However because he has the space people have given him other stuff too.  There's a scary looking Wadkin table saw, a very big pedestal drill, a pedestal grinder and a radial arm saw.

If we get all the machines working properly there will still be loads of boxes of tooling to sort out - including some for machines that are long gone like capstan lathes.

I'm helping because I hate seeing the stuff sitting there deteriorating and I enjoy fiddling.

I don't envy you the rat job.  A few years ago I cleared out a load of stuff at a sailing club which had had mice nesting it in.  I expect the rats to be proportionately worse.

Russell
Common sense is unfortunately not as common as its name suggests.