Author Topic: File rack  (Read 9170 times)

Offline Arbalist

File rack
« on: March 31, 2015, 08:07:08 AM »
I need to make a rack to keep my hand files in. If anyone has a picture of one that you've made that you're particularly pleased with perhaps you'd post a picture before I start.

Offline Fergus OMore

Re: File rack
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2015, 08:51:58 AM »
Strokagenius?

Offline Arbalist

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2015, 08:58:37 AM »
Sorry Norman, you've lost me?

Offline Fergus OMore

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2015, 09:37:33 AM »
 Hi Tim I gotta tell you- Guy Lautard.

I read it all up in ME a million years ago- give or take a week.

Maybe someone can fill in the rest of the details.

Cheers

Norman

Offline wgw

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2015, 10:02:05 AM »
I've just got a length of wood with nails hammered in. Some nails are spaced to take a file in between and some are single nails for files with a hole in the handle. Tales other tools as well.

Offline Arbalist

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2015, 10:44:45 AM »
Ah ok, I'm with you now. I'll have a look through some of my digital copies of GL's books when I get a minute, maybe there's something in one of those.

Offline Lew_Merrick_PE

« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2015, 11:24:26 AM »
Ah ok, I'm with you now. I'll have a look through some of my digital copies of GL's books when I get a minute, maybe there's something in one of those.

Arbalist (& All),

Please remember that Guy Lautard is still alive and in the business of writing and publishing.  He has taken a hiatus as nearly everything he has written (and sells) is being pirated around the web.  His writings are not released to the Public Domain and redistribution is a significant problem to him and others.

My problem is the mirror image.  My writings (on technical subjects) have always been intended to be freeware.  They keep cropping up on websites that charge to download them.  I spend an inordinate amount of time forcing such websites to remove my copyrighted material.

If you need to reach Guy, his website is http://www.lautard.com/ and his e-mail (from his website) is guylautard@dccnet.com

Offline S. Heslop

• Newcastle Upon Tyne
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2015, 11:30:59 AM »
I made a file rack that was just a bunch of holes in a bit of wood, and it didn't work that great. Especially for the wide ones that needed the holes elongated. The big problem though is that dropping the files into the thing tends to help knock the file back out of the handle. So I guess this is a way to not do it.

Offline Lew_Merrick_PE

« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2015, 11:43:07 AM »
Now, back on topic, my file rack solution is that:

(1) I have a set of masonite trays where my files are stored.  The trays are set-up such that they key into one another and each tray is limited to one type of file.  Each tray consists of slots such that each file "lives" in a specific (totally surrounded by masonite) slot.  A 32 inch wide X 4 inch deep roll-away tool chest drawer holds approximately 300 files this way and is reasonably easy to sort through when looking of a specific file.

(2) Many (many) years ago, I purchased a large set of (hickory) file handles.  I hot fit files for specific sizes of file tang; split them lengthwise; and installed pieces of (axially) threaded spacers that were mated to cheese-head screw holes.  Thus, when I want a specific file, I have a handle for it ready to hand that only takes a few turns of a screwdriver to make into a tight fit!

(3) I then took pieces of 2X2 (inch) fir timbers and slotted or drilled them for sizes of files.  Those, in turn, were glued to a baseplate such that I can lay them on a bench surface, install appropriate files, and not have them tip over as I pull files from the slots or holes.  This means that I can set-up an assortment of files for whatever task and have them visibly ready and within reach!  These stands "live" on a shelf in another (homemade) roll-away cabinet.

I served my apprenticeship as a tool & die machinist back in the day when filing was still an appreciated skill.

RobWilson

« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2015, 01:45:33 PM »
I need to make a rack to keep my hand files in. If anyone has a picture of one that you've made that you're particularly pleased with perhaps you'd post a picture before I start.

Here be mine , nothing more that a length of 40 x 40 x 3 angle and a length of 20x3 flat bar , with two bits of the flat bar cut to 10mm welded to form a long slot .

Was mounted on the wall .

Then moved to its new position at the end of the work bench .

Works for me , although I may add another slot for more files  :dremel: 

Rob

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2015, 01:52:04 PM »
No picture as I'm not near the workshop, but I have a cluster of short lengths of plastic plumbing pipe at the back of the bench secured with expanded foam between them - they take files, screwdrivers and all-sorts !
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline Manxmodder

« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2015, 02:18:55 PM »
Rob,that's not a file rack,it's a filing system  :lol: :lol:

Is that a Worden vice you have there?.....OZ.
Helixes aren't always downward spirals,sometimes they're screwed up

Offline Arbalist

« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2015, 02:20:26 PM »
Thanks for the ideas guys and the pictures Rob.

RobWilson

« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2015, 02:29:33 PM »
Rob,that's not a file rack,it's a filing system  :lol: :lol:

Is that a Worden vice you have there?.....OZ.

:lol: :lol: :lol: one has to be organized  :) ,Micktoon thinks its gay   :lol: :lol: :lol:    the vice is a record number 6 i think mate .

Rob

Offline Alan Haisley

« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2015, 12:08:08 PM »
Mine is for small files and is all wood. I started with a thin plywood back. Given different lengths, the bottom board is in sections at different heights so that all of the handles end up at the same level. The top piece is made in sections to avoid needing to mill slots. Flat back piece, middle piece is blocks glued with gaps for different file widths, flat front piece. A bit of glue and its done. The bottom piece has a groove cut to capture the file ends. None of the files are supported by the handles so they don't tend to drop off while in storage.

I don't have a system for large files yet but may just go with a larger version of this small file rack.

Alan

Offline trapper

« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2015, 03:48:08 PM »
Just used a bit wood chain drilled it and cleaned out the slot to suit each file.others go on a long magnet

Offline howsitwork?

« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2015, 03:11:46 PM »
Use a wood 3 x 1 'cos I can screw it to the wall with plugged holes thro the 3'bit. Holes drilled to accept filed then used a bandsaw to cut a slot to the hole. Files dangle- like Robs but not as neat.  I araldite the files into the handles- stops fall out and by the time the file's knackered the handles usually a bit too. Make my own handles as a wood turner so no cost there.

For handle find a bit of tube you can comfortably hold and make them that diameter with a knob at one end so you can rest your thumb against it when filing- makes it much more comfortable - ask any wood turner to make you a few , most will be delighted. Especially if you offer to make a few turning rests for them in exchange.

Regards ian

Offline krv3000

« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2015, 12:00:41 PM »
lol love this Micktoon thinks its gay

Offline tom osselton

« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2015, 07:41:31 PM »
Did ya mention where he could file that?  :lol: