Author Topic: LED workshop illumination  (Read 8363 times)

Offline picclock

LED workshop illumination
« on: April 22, 2015, 02:26:27 AM »
Hi

I'm moving house and have a double garage for my workshop. Need to improve the lighting/insulation etc and wondered if anyone has experience with using LED strips like this :-

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Epistar-Quality-12V-2835-120-LED-M-600-White-Flexible-LED-Strips-20LM-per-LED-AU-/221603537858?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_15&var=&hash=item339899a3c2

I reckon about 1000 lumens = 100W incandescent. I have never used strips like this and I'm hoping that I can attach them to the ceiling without heatsinks. Not even sure if I would need a diffuser. Possibly lower output strips over a larger area may be better.

Any advice or info from someone who has tried this most welcome.

Best Regards

picclock
Engaged in the art of turning large pieces of useful material into ever smaller pieces of (s)crap. (Ferndown, Dorset)

Offline spuddevans

• Global Moderator
  • Portadown, Northern Ireland
    • My Photo website
Re: LED workshop illumination
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2015, 02:47:27 AM »
I got a reel of a similar LED's (5630 or something like that) and have mounted them under some cabinets shining on my bench. I don't know if the ones you linked to are a lot brighter than mine, but the strip I've got would not be bright enough to illuminate my workshop on their own (especially attached to the ceiling). They are great for under-cabinet illumination though.

I'll go out to the workshop and snap a pic or two of my setup.

Back in a min

Tim
Measure with a micrometer, mark with chalk, cut with an axe  -  MI0TME

Offline spuddevans

• Global Moderator
    • My Photo website
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2015, 03:09:28 AM »
Here we go.

I've taken these from the door looking into the workshop in the hope that the camera (phone) will show the difference and not compensate for the difference!!

1st up is a view through the door with no workshop lights on

Next up is just the LED's under the cabinets switched on.

Next is the LED's off and the main lighting (6 x 4ft flourescent fittings in 2 rows) on

Then everything switched on

Then a close-up of the LED strip

Hope this helps

Tim

Offline picclock

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2015, 03:44:03 AM »
Hi Tim

Thanks for the pictures - most illuminating  :bugeye:. The ones I have looked at just seem to have a sticky back for attachment, and as your picture shows need no heatsink or other stuff. Whereas you have fluorescent tubes for the main lighting I am going to try to do it all with LED's. Prices seem very reasonable at £5 for 1 metre or £16 for a 5 Metre length. If they are 20 Lumen per LED (2835 type ~ approx 180mW spec'd at 120-150 lumens/watt) and 120 LED per Metre that should be equivalent of 1 -2 100W incandescents. With a 120 degree output they should make for a well lit workshop  :thumbup:

Will order some, do tests, and post results. As we have not moved yet will likely be some weeks.

Best Regards

Martin R Dare
Engaged in the art of turning large pieces of useful material into ever smaller pieces of (s)crap. (Ferndown, Dorset)

Offline spuddevans

• Global Moderator
    • My Photo website
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2015, 06:11:31 AM »
The ones I have looked at just seem to have a sticky back for attachment, and as your picture shows need no heatsink or other stuff.

Yea, mine came with sticky back, made it real handy for mounting and the adhesive holds even when the LED's have been on a while and are a little warm

No heatsink needed for them, even after 3-4 hours they are just warm to the touch. And they are easy to power, 12V DC, the ones I got came with their own PSU.

I look forward to seeing what your tests show

Tim

Offline rleete

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2015, 02:19:10 PM »
I used two strips of those for inside the portable garage that hides the hot tub.  Plenty of light, but too bright to look at.  You'll want to stick them to the top of a beam to provide indirect lighting.

6 volt transformers (about the size of a pack of cigarettes) are available to power them for about $6.  Mind is encased in a waterproof enclosure because of the humidity.
Creating scrap, one part at a time

Offline picclock

« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2015, 04:12:05 AM »
hi

The first and most frivolous part of the lighting parts has arrived - A wireless on/off remote dimmer - for the princely sum of £1.69 delivered. Its rated at 12A so I can control two strips together. Will likely buy more remotes and control them with just one controller. Operates at 433.92 MHz.

Best Regards

picclock

Offline picclock

« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2015, 03:40:53 AM »
Hi

Power supply (12V 30A @£17-50) and three 5M LED strips, 300 led warm white (£3-80), 300 led cool white (£3-80) and 600 led cool white (£6-50). The strips can easily be shortened or joined with moderate soldering skills. Each segment consists of three leds in series with a current limiting resister. The warm white ones are quite unsuitable, taking almost as much current as the 600 led strip.  The 600 led cool white strip takes 2A at 12 V and seems very usable. It almost puts out the same light for a given length as an 80W fluorescent tube. The 300 cool white strip is 1A and half the light output.  I will try to get a better comparison after we have moved on the 20th May.

PSU

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Universal-12V-2A-3A-5A-10A-15A-20A-30A-Switching-Power-5050-3528-Strip-Supply-/361100817731?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&var=&hash=item92c96430de

Led RF Dimmer 12A

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-12V-RF-Wireless-Remote-Switch-Controller-Dimmer-for-Mini-LED-Strip-Light-DT-/251914743122

LED Strips

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/371194944895?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Best Regards

picclock

Offline stirling lad

• Stirling Scotland
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2015, 03:52:29 PM »
When I used them to light up my milling table I got a splitter lead for around £1 and a couple of on/off rocker switches,, well i think thats what they are called,, the type you get for turning on lamps ect,, that allowed me to mount a switch actually on the mill along with all its other controls
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Led-Strip-Female-Connector-with-1-to-2-Ports-For-SMD-5050-3528-Led-strip-RGB-

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/UK-DC-12V-2A-Power-Supply-With-DC-Jack-Connector-For-3528-5050-LED-Strip-Light-/181571289406?hash

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/For-LED-Strips-12v-In-line-On-Off-Switch-With-Male-Female-2-1mm-Connectors-/171568430827?pt=

...Mike...

Offline AR1911

« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2015, 11:34:29 PM »
I bought a couple of 8-ft LED tubes in Dallas for $28 each.  Those two light up my whole shop about 800 sq ft.  I am going to add 10 more

Offline picclock

« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2015, 06:39:29 AM »
I have just started to put up the LED strips with difficult results. I was hoping to give a direct comparison or equivalent to a fluorescent tube but the colour temperature  and light distribution of the two light types makes it almost impossible. The tube light is reddish in comparison to the Cool white Leds's. The LED lights are far better distributed giving more even lighting over a wider area. Both lights enable you to see quite well but I can't help feeling that the best light would be a mixture of the two. In total I will have 6  x 5M LED strips, which uses a measured ~7A at 12V. Will post pictures but I don't think they will be very illuminating  :lol:

Would I recommend them ?  Thats a tough call. For some things its a massive improvement, especially the more even lighting. It also makes it seem like day even though its evening. However, I get the feeling that its not quite right. Differentiation of colours at the low end of the spectrum is poorer, though reading instruments and gauges is much easier. Likewise seeing imperfections in surface finishes.  Time will tell I suppose .. .

Best Regards

picclock

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2015, 07:32:53 AM »
You might find 'warm white' a less harsh light to work under. We went though all sorts of hoops to get acceptable GU10 halogen replacement leds in our kitchen, varying colour temperatures and powers, until we settled on warm white - now 9 months later they are all starting to fail  :bang:
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline modeng200023

« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2015, 10:58:00 AM »
 I have been using 8w Edison GU10 leds with a colour temperature of 3000k. These came from City Electrical Factors with a 1 year or more guarantee, not quite sure as I haven't had to replace one yet.

Lidl are offering 30w led flood lights with a 3 year guarantee so I've bought a couple really to see what they are like. I can only say they are brilliant. :clap: