Author Topic: NEW Mod-Up: Make Something out of a Bicycle  (Read 16258 times)

Offline vtsteam

• Global Moderator
  • Republic of Vermont
NEW Mod-Up: Make Something out of a Bicycle
« on: July 01, 2017, 09:24:12 AM »
Okay, I'm tired of looking at this whole forum section and seeing no activity! You guys have no imaginations!  :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Okay then, a new challenge to you backyard engineers on this first day of July, you Gyro Gearlosers.....:

Build something out of a bicycle. Completion date is August 31, 2017.

Build anything you want, except one thing: not another bicycle.....  :wack:

Well, or tricycle, or unicycle. No dagnab cycles, ya hear me? Well it can USE a whole bike as part of something else, but not BE a bike -- does that make sense? Or it can just use some parts from a bike -- but remember, the more the merrier (and more clever).

AND post your exertions here, don't post something you already had built in the past. We want fresh meat, not aged Virginia ham!

Build progress and photos here in this thread please -- let everybody else in on your genius, or nonsense, or both. This is a spectator sport!

This time instead of Eric, I'll award a prize -- will think of it shortly, and actually send it out on time. More or less...... :poke:

Since I'm proposing it, I'll build something, too, but am obviously ineligible for voting or the prize. Voting for the best (possibly most outlandish) project will be by MadModder member poll on Sept 1.

Ready.......set......disassemble.

:proj:
« Last Edit: July 01, 2017, 09:52:37 AM by vtsteam »
I love it when a Plan B comes together!
Steve
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sDubB0-REg

Offline AdeV

• Madmodder Committee
Re: NEW Mod-Up: Make Something out of a Bicycle
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2017, 11:16:19 AM »
..but I'm using my bike!

Does it have to be one bike? I reckon with 1/2 dozen old jalopies and a few other bits I could make a bench....  :lol:
Cheers!
Ade.
--
Occasionally: Zhengzhou, China. An even longer way from anywhere...

Offline vtsteam

• Global Moderator
  • Republic of Vermont
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2017, 11:31:49 AM »
Limited to 1000 bicycles per project, Ade.  :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Glad you asked......
Steve

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2017, 11:52:58 AM »
A friends Sow had a litter that was obviously sired by several Boars, as there were Saddlebacks, Large Whites, and a bit of Wild Boar. It must have been quite a party, and henceforth she's been known as 'The Village Bicycle' - I'll leave it to your imagination as to why .

So can I use her - I envisage Pork Belly, Bacon, Sausages and a bit of Ham  :lol:
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline vtsteam

• Global Moderator
  • Republic of Vermont
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2017, 12:56:27 PM »
Sow you're in, Andrew?
Steve

Offline mattinker

« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2017, 03:55:48 PM »
I don't have any photos of the things that I've made from bits of bicycle, they go back a long way! I have bike frames in "stock" as it's an easy way to have strange dimensions of tubing in short lengths that get used for all sorts of things. The first thing I made with the hub of a bicycle wheel was the vertical axis for arm of a 33rpm turn table, long since gone! I've made "kinetic" sculpture from bicycle parts, here is a quickly thrown together video of a piece that uses the hub of the front wheel of a bicycle!

Cheers, Matthew

Offline shipto

• Redditch, UK
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2017, 07:44:17 PM »
Okay, I'm tired of looking at this whole forum section and seeing no activity! You guys have no imaginations!  :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Hey I came up with a suggestion but no on said anything. Although I did patch it on to the end of the trophy thread maybe I should have made new thread for it. Sorry but I dont have a bicycle the rip apart so wont be joining this one look forward to seeing what anyone comes up with though.
Turns out this life c**p is just one big distraction from death but a good one. For the love of god dont give yourself time to think.
https://myshedblog.wordpress.com/

Offline vtsteam

• Global Moderator
  • Republic of Vermont
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2017, 03:10:40 PM »
Nice Matt. Will you join the mod up and start something new?

Shipto, sorry I somehow missed that, but yes, feel free to start a Mod-up for anything you like, any time! This is for anybody to cook up. But also yes, please do open any new Mod-Up as a new topic and give the rules and finish date.

re. bikes....maybe you know somebody with an old broken bike or outgrown kids bike? Here the police departments often have unclaimed bikes to give away. Then there's the scrapyard, Craigslist giveaways, etc. Surely you must have access to somebody's unwanted wheelie? I have at least four in various states of disrepair, plus our regular family bikes.
Steve

Offline mattinker

« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2017, 03:41:30 PM »
Sorry Steve, I've got far too much on my plate to even think about participating!

Regards, Matthew

Offline shipto

• Redditch, UK
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2017, 05:17:06 PM »
Nice Matt. Will you join the mod up and start something new?

Shipto, sorry I somehow missed that, but yes, feel free to start a Mod-up for anything you like, any time! This is for anybody to cook up. But also yes, please do open any new Mod-Up as a new topic and give the rules and finish date.
I will resuggest it after this one is finished.
re. bikes....maybe you know somebody with an old broken bike or outgrown kids bike? Here the police departments often have unclaimed bikes to give away. Then there's the scrapyard, Craigslist giveaways, etc. Surely you must have access to somebody's unwanted wheelie? I have at least four in various states of disrepair, plus our regular family bikes.
I am still working on my milling machine so as well as not having a bike to hand I am pressed for time in the shop too so must back out sorry.
Turns out this life c**p is just one big distraction from death but a good one. For the love of god dont give yourself time to think.
https://myshedblog.wordpress.com/

Offline efrench

« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2017, 05:28:58 PM »
Use the bike to power your mill  :)   Actually not a new idea.  10 years or so ago we had demonstrator at our wood turning club who powered his lathe with a bike, but he wasn't turning wood.  He was hand turning brass using gravers and the finish or form was great.

Offline vtsteam

• Global Moderator
  • Republic of Vermont
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2017, 09:37:31 PM »
I have an idea that will use the bike to power something.....
Steve

Offline Fergus OMore

« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2017, 03:31:04 AM »
Ah well? If my aged memory has still a bit of capacity, the bike was used to charge batteries for nothing less than French Resistance radios during the WW2.

Offline John Stevenson

• In Memoriam
  • Nottingham, England.
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2017, 05:03:00 AM »
A friends Sow had a litter that was obviously sired by several Boars, as there were Saddlebacks, Large Whites, and a bit of Wild Boar. It must have been quite a party, and henceforth she's been known as 'The Village Bicycle' - I'll leave it to your imagination as to why .

So can I use her - I envisage Pork Belly, Bacon, Sausages and a bit of Ham  :lol:

I think I may have dated her many years ago.  :wave:
John Stevenson

Offline vtsteam

• Global Moderator
  • Republic of Vermont
« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2017, 07:59:15 AM »
Norman, efrench, I remember seeing something a few decades ago about a father who had rigged up the family television to a generator on a stationary bike so his kids would limit their viewing, as well as get exercise while doing so. The kids would discuss and agree on what programs they would watch, and then spell each other on the machine. Worked out well apparently.

I've been asked for something that would mechanize bean threshing for kids by our local farm to school program. So instead of something motorized, I'm thinking a bike powered thresher of some sort might be the way to go, and fit in here as a project on MadModders. They've got too many screens and buttons to push as it is in their lives. I think it might be fun all around.

John, didn't we all!
Steve

Offline vtsteam

• Global Moderator
  • Republic of Vermont
« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2017, 08:06:57 AM »
I've also seen a very nice 26" throat wood cutting bandsaw made from bicycle wheels.
Steve

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #16 on: July 03, 2017, 11:24:29 AM »

I've been asked for something that would mechanize bean threshing for kids

We're no longer allowed to thresh kids in the UK - can't say it did me any harm  :lol:
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline seadog

• NE London
« Reply #17 on: July 03, 2017, 12:20:13 PM »
Was that hand threshing or machine threshing Andrew. I'd say the latter was a little severe... :clap:

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #18 on: July 03, 2017, 01:57:22 PM »
In my boarding school the 'prefects' were called Monitors and Options. An Option could only administer one cane stroke whereas the Monitors could give three. Any more and you had to go to the Headmaster, who gave either five or six.

...yes I met the Head on a few occasions  :lol:
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline russ57

« Reply #19 on: July 05, 2017, 08:56:06 AM »
Seems like fun. Have to start thinking. Around here, people seem to just discard bikes in the hard rubbish collection. Last week I picked up what I called an "ike" - the back half of an e-bike. Unfortunately the missing bits are the front wheel with motor and the battery pack. Still, should be good for something. Has a 7 speed hub gear, lights in the mudguards, etc  Gazelle brand.

-russ

Offline vtsteam

• Global Moderator
  • Republic of Vermont
« Reply #20 on: July 05, 2017, 03:42:38 PM »
There you go, Russ!  Could be anything......   :beer:
Steve

Offline NormanV

• United Kingdom
« Reply #21 on: July 12, 2017, 04:49:30 AM »
I was reading an old issue of Model Engineer magazine (1977) and came across this.

Offline S. Heslop

• Newcastle Upon Tyne
« Reply #22 on: July 20, 2017, 06:40:32 PM »
Y'know I was just thinking of getting rid of my old bike. It's hanging on the wall with an inch of dust on it. The sprockets are fairly worn and the chain kept falling off, and it was fitted with an absurdly heavy front fork. The tube from that could be useful, and i've got an idea on what I could use the sprockets and chain for...