Author Topic: Stainless steel welding bench?  (Read 5341 times)

Offline howsitwork?

Stainless steel welding bench?
« on: February 09, 2018, 05:52:55 PM »
Guys
Having seen some very nice welding benches, and got a “reasonable amateur MIG” recently, I wondered about a bench. The garage is a little crowded with cars  a Mill, grinders etc so one that could go outside seemed a good idea ? I then thought about a stainless steel bench ex say butchers for example, the intention is to rest work pieces on it having it earthed to the welder and weld resting on it. Are there any issues here I don’t know about? I realise I need to keep the work in contact with the bench a5 all times and probably sand the bench lightly between sessions but is it a goer???

I cou”d add a further earth strap from bench to work piece .

Cheers Ian

Offline Pete.

Re: Stainless steel welding bench?
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2018, 05:59:14 PM »
Can't see a problem with it. I used to have such a bench now I have a mild steel top and all I do is leave the earth clamp connected to the leg of the bench.

Offline mattinker

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2018, 01:34:38 AM »
Aluminium makes a very good surface, conducts well and steel doesn't stick to it!

Regards, Matthew

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2018, 02:46:49 AM »
Catering stainless work surfaces tend to be pretty thin. I'm sure there must be heavy duty ones but I've never come across them.
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline sparky961

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2018, 01:53:44 PM »
Keep in mind that common stainless steels don't conduct heat well, and (check me on this one) I think the electrical conductivity is low too.

I like the idea of aluminum better.  You wouldn't have to worry about spatter sticking to it as much, and you're unlikely to weld anything to it accidentally.  Conductivity is high and oxidation controlled.

Offline Pete.

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2018, 02:28:09 PM »
Aluminium expands hugely though. Weld a part on an ally top and you might find it pops up in the air as you're welding.

Offline mattinker

« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2018, 02:36:13 PM »
Aluminium expands hugely though. Weld a part on an ally top and you might find it pops up in the air as you're welding.

i suggested Al because I've used it very successfully. I had a piece of 2.5mm ish thick plate on the top of a 80cm x 80cm rotary table, no distortion, remember, it is also a very good conductor of heat. No splatter sticking, no accidental welding to it.

Cheers, Matthew

Offline Will_D

• National Homebrew Club of Ireland
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2018, 02:44:48 PM »
Some stainless kitchen tables are made from Magnetic SS. This is ideal for a welding bench as you can use magnetic welding helpers!
Engineer and Chemist to the NHC.ie
http://www.nationalhomebrewclub.ie/forum/

Offline howsitwork?

« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2018, 05:25:27 PM »
Right it’s a goer then! I have some aluminium sheet so will try that out first though as not welding things to the top is quite appealing ( and says a lot about my (lack of ) welding skills.

I’d never thought of aluminium as surface oxidises so readily so it many thanks for that inspired thought ! :headbang: that’s the great thing about asking for advice on here, you get a breadth of guidance.

Not going to happen soon though as , after club auction last night, there are ba4bains to be “accommodated” before I can actually get into the workshop ! Once I can get in however......

Regards Ian