Author Topic: setting up a reversing switch..??  (Read 2822 times)

Offline stirling lad

• Stirling Scotland
setting up a reversing switch..??
« on: May 19, 2015, 04:33:58 PM »
 :bang:this is the motor from a lathe I recently got,, by all accounts its not very old and is supposed to be able to be set to got forward and reverse,,could some of the electronic guys help me by looking it over for me and confirm if this is correct or not,,and if so what do I need to acquire to do the job,,ie, what type of switch, cable or whatever...

..mike..

this is the switch thats on it at present with just the red and green on/off switch underneath the big red button..

Offline Jonfb64

Re: setting up a reversing switch..??
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2015, 05:08:52 PM »
Hi Mike,

What you need is a spdt (single pole double throw) toggle switch. Disconnect one end of the capacitor, currently connected to Z, reconnect  to the centre terminal on the switch then connect the blue wire to one of the other terminals on your switch and connect the yellow wire to the remaining terminal. Make sure you insulate everything and mount the switch in an enclosure and earth the switch body if it's metal.

Jon

Offline vintageandclassicrepairs

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2015, 05:24:35 PM »
Hi Mike,
On the motor plate it says to reverse yellow and blue wires,
To accomplish this I have used an intermediate switch that would have been used for lighting control from three positions, I used a 20 amp rted "MK" brand (this was qiute a few years ago now)

You need to use a 4 core cable from the motor to the switch, remove the yellow and blue from their terminals
add two extra terminals inside the motor box for the yellow and blue wires
connect 2 cores to one end of the  reversing switch to the new yellow and blue terminals
and the other 2 cores to where the wires were removed from (Z & K ?)

A rotary switch for reversing a 3 phase motor could also be used, but for such a small motor the intermediate switch will be fine

HTH
John

Offline stirling lad

• Stirling Scotland
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2015, 09:41:56 PM »
Sorry about the long delay in replying to you guys ...sometimes family life does'nt allow for any free time...
 John and Jon ,, thankyou for your advice,,,its been noted and stored in the grey matter somewhere, but I think this is One mod that will have to go on the back burner for the time being,,,until the spare funds fairy ventures by my way again...

cheers
..mike...