Author Topic: Slow Craft - Metal  (Read 7403 times)

Offline one_rod

• Chesterfield, Derbyshire.
Slow Craft - Metal
« on: May 21, 2015, 05:25:37 PM »
As of today, this has thirteen days left for access on the iPlayer.

The filming style is a little "arty" for some tastes perhaps, but still a nice insight into one man and his craft. Worth a look if you like that sort of thing.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b05tpw1j/handmade-2-metal#group=b05ttnd7
"A season ticket for the one way ride..."

Offline vtsteam

• Global Moderator
  • Republic of Vermont
Re: Slow Craft - Metal
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2015, 05:55:53 PM »
BBC iPlayer TV programmes are available to play in the UK only. Find out why.

I love it when a Plan B comes together!
Steve
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sDubB0-REg

RobWilson

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2015, 02:33:09 AM »
Steve your not missing much  .the camera work is painful. Very OTT on the arty side.

Rob

Offline DMIOM

• Isle of Man
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2015, 02:39:29 AM »
You're just jealous of his huge array of hammers Rob! 

(I thought the handle let it down a bit....)

Dave

RobWilson

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2015, 08:22:49 AM »
You're just jealous of his huge array of hammers Rob! 

(I thought the handle let it down a bit....)

Dave

Lol  not really into knifes /swords ,,,,,grew out of that sort of thing age 12 lol but a good hammer now that's anouther thing Dave  :D .I did actually ID the make/manufacture of one of the those  power hammer for him  :coffee:

Rob

RobWilson

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2015, 04:41:24 AM »
Here ye go Steve .

29 minutes of your life you will never get back  :lol:

Rob

RobWilson

« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2015, 04:44:15 AM »
The BBC Master crafts series is worth a look .

Just two of five I think  :scratch:

Rob

Offline S. Heslop

• Newcastle Upon Tyne
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2015, 06:41:39 AM »
My favourite engineering-y TV show has to be The Secret Life of Machines.

Tim Hunkins makes a great presenter, he's mild and polite but knows his stuff and has a great enthusiasm for the topics. I found it when looking up stuff on solenoid valves, which he has a nice explanation for in the washing machine episode.

The big problem with all the TV shows about similar topics I see now is that they end up with presenters like James May or, god forbid, Stephen Fry. People who know nothing about the topic and likely have little interest either. It bothers me because a show like the secret life of machines must've cost very little to make, and i'd love to see more stuff like it instead of more shows about the wealthy or irresponsible buying expensive houses, or antiques shows where they skim past the interesting stuff and end up looking at a box or a vase.

Offline Fergus OMore

« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2015, 07:32:13 AM »
Actually, Fry is quite an expert on Wagner but also did a very competent article on how the Gutenberg Bible was printed and more importantly, how the wooden gears were cut on a replica. Thought you might be interested- sort of down your way.
As for 'Down your way'- there is the Fuchs swords and so on from what was  literally done on your river- the Derwent.
The Sword Makers of Shotley Bridge from emigre German craftsmen from Solingen is well documented. For others, the swords were so good that they could be coiled in a gentleman's top hat. We don't know what went on- around the corner. If I am not mistaken, there is still a Cutler's Hall in Shotley and a 'Avalon'Lodge in Blackhill.  'Tommy' Moore who was master wrote up quite a bit on swordmaking.

Me.? My days are as a kid around around the pit pond at Greenside in the 'blackies' shop where my little Boy Scout axe/hammer was forged and there is the wrecking bar in the corner of my garage with 'S; for Stella Coal Company. Dad's home made hammers are gone, save for a claw hammer one which my son is still using.

Sorry but it isn't always the glossy TV and what happened to 'When I nod my head, hit it' to the striker at the other side of the anvil.

As sensible people do, I moved on.

Regards

Norman

Offline Fergus OMore

« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2015, 09:05:37 AM »
I'm mending my French satellite and this has reminded me that I once watched a 'Grenouile' blacksmith make knives using broken lorry  coil springs.

Ca Va?

Norman

RobWilson

« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2015, 09:42:45 AM »
When I was in Nam  , I watched the VC forge an AK47 from a Coke can   :coffee:

Rob