Author Topic: Gues what and did it work?  (Read 8532 times)

Offline PekkaNF

Gues what and did it work?
« on: May 24, 2015, 01:20:32 PM »
Something I slapped together used it all day and feel sorry.

Pekka

Offline petertheterrible

Re: Gues what and did it work?
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2015, 01:55:01 PM »
Looks commercial.
Let me guess, works so well that you now need to do the whole floor with the only snag being your back and knees are killing you?
Time for the kids RC car/ lawnmower/ shop vac model, right?
And I must not forget the ringing and sinusses while looking like farther time with red eyes, white beard and white eyebrows. :) :doh:
Terrible by name, worse by profession.

Offline vtsteam

• Global Moderator
  • Republic of Vermont
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2015, 01:57:31 PM »
Smoothing the floor when the motor gave out? Or it ran by itself across the room leaving you with a handle in your hand? Or, now you have a bigger gouge in the floor? Or all three?

I love it when a Plan B comes together!
Steve
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sDubB0-REg

Offline PekkaNF

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2015, 03:11:22 PM »
The living room floor was pretty level, but was filled with 3-5 mm "hills" about 1 metre diameter.

It actually worked pretty well. Adjusted a little off the complete level. I had stick on one hand and vacumcleaner hose and extension an another. Really easy on back and I didn't even break the sweat. I had good respirator and gogles, no problem there.

But dust removal did not work. Disk propelled debris out warp speed tangenttially, shop vac clogs and needs shaking all the time. Concrete dust vacs are a bit special, I thought that I could get away with flece bag and pleated paper filter.

Diamond disc chucks out concrete that fast and it's pretty fine. Perfect for clogging vacum filtter and for impaired vision. I almost got lost on my little livingroom.

Pekka

Offline petertheterrible

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2015, 03:28:37 PM »
Nice.  Not sarcastic, really like your idea.

Someones sleeping outside tonight!

How does the Finnish version of chief whip with pitchfork look like?

It's the dog house for you.

A dust extractor/vac, the type used in woodworking (twin bag type) would probably saved you a lot of clean-up. :D
Terrible by name, worse by profession.

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2015, 04:34:29 PM »
Use one of those hand pump water spray bottles to control the dust - works a treat - spray high and let the water mist settle downwards collecting the dust particles
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline PekkaNF

« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2015, 12:50:39 AM »
Thanks for the spray idea, might try that one.

Wife said that I looked like a jeti when I appeared.

Living room is sort of a nook, two openings in one corner. I covered them plastic masking plastic on both sides and then the whole corner. Taped to the wall. I also had a duct (channel ??) fan mounted on a small window to create under pressure in the livingroom to keep the dust in there. I really don't like the concrete dust around the house.

My idea was to fit three wheels on extremes and mount the grinder in the middle, idea was that the wheels will hit the valleys and grinder will flaten the top of the hills. Worked pretty well. Build it pretty symmetrical to avoid gouging. Interesting thing was that moved the front arm mostly to one side on grind close to wall and it did work. I was afraid "outrigger" would tilt it excessively.

The dust extraction worked remarkably poorly. Maybe a brush on the perimeter or a floating ring would have produced better results. If I was going to use it more it would have need more though and experimentation but I set to finish grinding it yesterday.

Another thing was that even though I had a big shopvac the bag was clogging all the time. Better automatically shaking and filtration would be nice but those are expensive for sporadic use. My shopvack has a manually activated shake or you could block the inlet momentarily to kick it, but it is not that great. Maybe a Thien dust separator would be a good idea.

Pekka

Offline efrench

« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2015, 02:58:50 AM »

But dust removal did not work. Disk propelled debris out warp speed tangenttially, shop vac clogs and needs shaking all the time.

Why not add a hose to the outlet side of the shop vac and run the end outside?

Offline AussieJimG

• In Memoriam
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2015, 03:17:23 AM »
Perhaps a cyclone on the input to the ShopVac?

Jim

Offline Fergus OMore

« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2015, 03:47:32 AM »
Call me a jaundiced old fart but this is a recipe for a rather nasty bout of silicosis.

Frankly, if you have to do it- get someone else to suffer. ( Sorry but some don't care)

Somewhere in the 'knitting' here, I said that I was brought up where men used water jets to win coal- and my generation of classmates is basically crippled or wiped out.

I hope my comments are constructive and that you don't join that dreadful, lingering  and choking existence that precedes premature death.

In a few days, I'll be 85. Of course, I did become exposed to a lesser degree and suffer a bit but I'm still here.
I moved on.

Norman

Offline PekkaNF

« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2015, 05:15:18 AM »
No chance for silicosis, I was wearing a mask all the time and pretty good one. I also made room a little underpressure to prevent dust from spreading all over the house. There was quite a bit of cleaning left, but on completely empty and clean room it was just some work and no drama.

The problem was that the hood did not contain the high velocity particles, the diamond disc is rotating close to 12000 rpm and it is about 125 mm diameter. It ate trough the plastic shroud no time. It also needs quite a bit of flow.

Lucily it is all done now

Pekka

Offline vtsteam

• Global Moderator
  • Republic of Vermont
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2015, 01:17:30 PM »
In the early 70's a guy I worked with and I were sent down by the crew boss to break up a big cast iron furnace with sledgehammers in the basement of the Jennings mansion house in Bennington. It was covered with asbestos insulation. The dust from it  was so bad once we got going that we could hardly see the bare light bulb in the ceiling. No respirators, I tied my tee shirt around my nose and mouth. That was it. The good old days!
I love it when a Plan B comes together!
Steve
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sDubB0-REg

Offline PekkaNF

« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2015, 04:03:28 PM »
Use one of those hand pump water spray bottles to control the dust - works a treat - spray high and let the water mist settle downwards collecting the dust particles

Thank you, I tried that today. I also misted the floor. With better shroud it made all the difference. I ground 5 mm high and 1,5 by 3 metre "hill" away with minimum amount of dust. Marked and ground. Swep. and repeated about five times. It is pretty level now.

Pekka

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2015, 04:51:28 PM »
Excellent  :thumbup:

It's a trick that I learnt when pulling down lath and plaster ceilings in my first house back in 1973  :clap:
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline Henning

• All the kit and no clue!
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2015, 05:10:51 PM »
Just wanted to let you know, Andrew, I used the same trick today to settle the dust from the hammer drills giving my (old) bathroom floor a pretty good beating. Thank you for sharing  :thumbup:
Henning

Just because i can't, doesn't mean i shouldn't?
Tool- lover, with a collection to show for it!