Author Topic: The Eddgwick arrived!  (Read 31994 times)

Offline mattinker

The Eddgwick arrived!
« on: June 12, 2015, 01:28:32 PM »
It arrived yesterday, intact! I was more than a little anxious. Shipping by road a machine that isn't crated is bad enough, but without being there to see it loaded, is worse. The driver showed up yesterday without warning, I'd asked that he telephone me half an hour before arriving. So a bit caught short, I jump started the neighbours fork lift that hasn't been used in two years. Off I went, I hadn't brought the strop that I'd planned to use if there was a problem with the pallet. Transit had not been kind to the pallet, it looked doubtful and was! I had to get the lathe unloaded quickly as buses were having problems getting by. I got it out and onto the ground. I then spent some time getting the forks out from under the disintegrated pallet without it falling over, a couple of hours later, hanging from a strop it was in my workshop. Exhausted, I left it until today to have a look at it. There were quite a few things with it that I didn't expect.

Mostly Imperial reamers.

A usable selection of high-speed steel and carbide tooling.

The milling cutters and slitting saws should come in handy.

The fixed steady is original and fits.

The four jaw and the face plate were a surprise, they are both screw fitting and don't fit the bolt up chuck mount!

I thought of John Mills carefully oiling chuck mounting threads when I saw this!
The previous owner said he'd had the lathe for twelve years, he'd obviously never use anything but the three jaw chuck!

I put a plug on it today and ran it, everything worked. Didn't make any chips, but that'll be soon!

Adev, if you found out anything more on the specifications for the oil I'd love to hear from you.

More later, regards, Matthew

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
Re: The Eddgwick arrived!
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2015, 01:33:21 PM »
Matthew that's excellent that it's arrived safely - I now look forwards to the ongoing story of it rising Phoenix like from it's neglected state. :thumbup:
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline vtsteam

• Global Moderator
  • Republic of Vermont
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2015, 01:51:36 PM »
 :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :beer:
I love it when a Plan B comes together!
Steve
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sDubB0-REg

Offline John Rudd

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2015, 02:06:13 PM »
Great ending to the story....

I hope you and your new machine have a happy relationship :clap:
eccentric millionaire financed by 'er indoors

Offline hermetic

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2015, 02:21:54 PM »
Good news Matt. and a cracking lathe to boot! Hope you are feeling better!
Phil
Man who says it cannot be done should not disturb man doing it! https://www.youtube.com/user/philhermetic/videos?

Offline mattinker

« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2015, 03:49:24 PM »
Thanks Guys, I'm still wiped-out!

I just went a little mad and ordered my compromise DRO, it's not as expensive as a full blown DRO, but as I work in metric a lot this suits me.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Igaging-3-Piece-set-6-12-36-Digital-Readout-Read-Out-DRO-w-Remote-display-/131049270885?

It's not the cheapest one on the market, but it's the cheapest I've found that will ship to France! I have an idea for making up for the 7" inches in length for the very rare occasion when I might need more than 35".

Regards, mùatthew

Offline John Rudd

« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2015, 04:14:57 PM »
Arc Eurotrade sell the very same scales,.....,

Should have said, you were buying......could have bought them here and sent out to you.... :doh:

Offline mattinker

« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2015, 04:28:22 PM »
It would have been better, I could have got the longer scales, but the three scales come out at about the same price when calculating the exchange rate and shipping! Never mind, it's too late now!

Regards, Matthew

Offline John Rudd

« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2015, 04:30:57 PM »
Matt,
Pm sent .....

Offline chipenter

« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2015, 03:06:11 AM »
Those scales turn into ramdom number generators iff they get coolant inside , I must make a cover for mine .
Jeff

RobWilson

« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2015, 03:17:12 AM »
Nice one Matthew  :clap: :thumbup:

It's good to see the lathe fined a new home  and given a new lease of life :dremel:

Rob

Offline Pete W.

« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2015, 05:23:29 AM »
Hi there, Matthew,

Have I missed the first part of this story?   :scratch:   :scratch:   :scratch: 
Best regards,

Pete W.

If you can keep your head when all about you are losing theirs, you haven't seen the latest design change-note!

Offline RussellT

« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2015, 05:37:42 AM »
The lathe looks OK - a bit better in your photos than the original listing.  I'm curious to know - what's the verdict on the cross slide hand wheel?

Is it safe to assume that transport cost more than the lathe?

Russell
Common sense is unfortunately not as common as its name suggests.

Offline mattinker

« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2015, 07:43:50 AM »
Hi there, Matthew,

Have I missed the first part of this story?   :scratch:   :scratch:   :scratch:

Yep! It started out as:-
http://madmodder.net/index.php/topic,10710.msg124393.html#msg124393
Regards, Matthew

Offline mattinker

« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2015, 07:53:53 AM »
Those scales turn into ramdom number generators iff they get coolant inside , I must make a cover for mine .

Thanks for the heads up, I suspected as much, I've had that experience with calipers! They're a compromise!

Regards, Matthew.

Offline mattinker

« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2015, 07:55:23 AM »
Nice one Matthew  :clap: :thumbup:

It's good to see the lathe fined a new home  and given a new lease of life :dremel:

Rob

Thanks Rob!!

Offline mattinker

« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2015, 08:06:22 AM »
The lathe looks OK - a bit better in your photos than the original listing.  I'm curious to know - what's the verdict on the cross slide hand wheel?

Is it safe to assume that transport cost more than the lathe?

Russell

The verdict isn't completely out on the cross-slide. I haven't dismantled it yet, but as far as I can see, it needs a touch of straightening and either welding a stub on the end or building up with weld and machining. The hand-wheel is in good shape and the broken stub has already been removed.

You safely assumed right! I got a good deal on the Transport, but it was still more expensive than the lathe at €348 including VAT the lathe was €212 at the current exchange rate. I'm pleased, that's less than a similar lathe here without transport!

Regards, Matthew.

Offline mattinker

« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2015, 08:14:14 AM »
Some thoughts,

As the lathe has no reverse, it would be extremely difficult to cut metric threads as is. I have everything I need to set up a reversing switch, so it's a question of time.

The suds pump is missing so it looks like it's going to be an indoor fountain pump!

The bed wear is quite high, I haven't measured it yet, but I'm having thoughts about making a grinding jig to regrind them.

Any thoughts would be welcome! Regards, Matthew

Offline AdeV

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2015, 05:07:19 AM »
Hi Matt,

Great to see the old girl made it! Looking forward to seeing some chips made...

Making a screw adapter to take the backplate shouldn't be too taxing? If you can cut a piece of steel to fit the bolt-up flange, then simply machine a nose with some threads on it, and you're good to go. I was lucky, I got a proper Edgwick backplate that bolts straight on. I've only used it once, though, now I've got a 3-jaw that fits & is reasonably accurate, I mostly use that.

Regarding metric screwcutting - the gearbox will handle that, and the screw cutting dial that should be fitted will work properly, so you don't need a reverse. Just disconnect the half nut, run back to the start, and use the dial to re-engage. Or just use dies like I do  :beer:

Oil - Any decent hydraulic oil should do. I use this stuff: http://www.lubetechshop.co.uk/product_info.php?cPath=25_40&products_id=86 I use that on the ways & tailstock as well, although having more recently bought some proper slideway oil, I'll probably switch to that for the bed/tailstock.
Cheers!
Ade.
--
Occasionally: Zhengzhou, China. An even longer way from anywhere...

Offline mattinker

« Reply #19 on: June 14, 2015, 08:32:47 AM »
Hi Matt,

Great to see the old girl made it! Looking forward to seeing some chips made...

Making a screw adapter to take the backplate shouldn't be too taxing? If you can cut a piece of steel to fit the bolt-up flange, then simply machine a nose with some threads on it, and you're good to go. I was lucky, I got a proper Edgwick backplate that bolts straight on. I've only used it once, though, now I've got a 3-jaw that fits & is reasonably accurate, I mostly use that.

Regarding metric screwcutting - the gearbox will handle that, and the screw cutting dial that should be fitted will work properly, so you don't need a reverse. Just disconnect the half nut, run back to the start, and use the dial to re-engage. Or just use dies like I do  :beer:

Oil - Any decent hydraulic oil should do. I use this stuff: http://www.lubetechshop.co.uk/product_info.php?cPath=25_40&products_id=86 I use that on the ways & tailstock as well, although having more recently bought some proper slideway oil, I'll probably switch to that for the bed/tailstock.

Thanks AdeV,
As you say, making adapter plates shouldn't be to challenging! They are pretty certainly Whitworth, which the gearbox will handle fine!  I'm not sure that I agree about the dial to re-engage metric threads! A metric lead screw has a different type of thread dial, this is because they are not fractional, from what I can gather, three gears are required instead of one to make a metric thread dial work. As this is a 4TPI lead-screw, geared to produce metric threads, the ration may not be repeatable! There is a brass plate on the carriage, photo below, pretty badly damaged, the last two lines read,

"For any "illegible odd?" Whitworth pitches and all metric threads, keep guide screw nut engaged and return saddle by reversing feed clutch."

I hadn't deciphered the plate when I wrote about reversing. Do you have the plate? Is it legible? It would be nice to be able to know which marks on the thread dial correspond with what!

Thanks for the info about the oil, I'm new to this kind of gearbox.

Regards, Matthew

Offline Pete.

« Reply #20 on: June 14, 2015, 09:43:54 AM »
You can use that method for all screwcutting which would make the dial redundant unless you want to start making multi-start threads.

Offline AdeV

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #21 on: June 14, 2015, 10:11:02 AM »
Yes, I have that plate on mine - unfortunately, although complete, it's so badly bashed about that I can't read it. I'll get my camera with macro lens on it later, hopefully with a suitably big & clear picture I can make out the missing bits. My mobile phone camera just isn't good enough.
Cheers!
Ade.
--

Offline vtsteam

• Global Moderator
  • Republic of Vermont
« Reply #22 on: June 14, 2015, 10:22:39 AM »
I've made out essentially invisible writing on unreadable tractor tags like that by shooting with a decent camera, and then cranking up the magnification, contrast and/or brightness values in a photo editor. You'd be amazed what it can show up.  :thumbup:
I love it when a Plan B comes together!
Steve
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sDubB0-REg

Offline AdeV

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #23 on: June 14, 2015, 10:34:11 AM »
Well, I just did a little experiment - and you're dead right, the screw cutting dial does not work for metric threads...

I'll just stick with Whitworth... :)

IIRC, from watching an American lathe tutorial, even TPIs can start on any number or half number & will thread correctly. Odd numbers I think have to go on the whole number only. But, I could be wrong, it's been a long time since I watched that video.
Cheers!
Ade.
--

lordedmond

« Reply #24 on: June 14, 2015, 11:01:46 AM »
This may be of help assuming your gearbox can produce the metric pitch

It shows that you can disengage the half nuts

Stuart
« Last Edit: June 14, 2015, 12:58:46 PM by dsquire »