Author Topic: Man's Best Friend: RIP - Unity (2002 - 2015)  (Read 4282 times)

Offline Pete W.

Man's Best Friend: RIP - Unity (2002 - 2015)
« on: June 13, 2015, 09:16:27 AM »
Hi there, all,

Not too happy here just now!  This morning we called our vets and they came and put Unity to sleep.

Unity was a retired guide dog and served her working life guiding a blind lady in Glasgow.  She came to us when she retired in November 2011, her journey from Glasgow to Hampshire took two days with an overnight stay at the GDBA breeding centre at Leamington Spa.

Unity was already suffering from arthritis when she retired and was 'on' medication that had some side effects.  Still, she managed to enjoy life with us and play wasn't all one-sided!

More recently, she progressively lost her mobility until the last few days when she was content to spend long periods in her bed.  Her appetite declined and, as a result, she wasn't taking down her medication.

We've been keeping tabs on her situation over recent months, wanting to preserve her life as long as it had enough quality yet wanting to avoid keeping her going too long out of reluctance to take that ultimate decision.  I fear I'm not describing things here at all well!!  On the rational level, I think that we got the timing right.  But alongside that, we have our emotions.  What was a living member of our family is gone and gone through our conscious decision and that is a heavy load.

Here's another picture of Unity:

I tried to embed the photos rather than putting them on PhotoBucket but I couldn't figure out how to do it!   :bang:   :bang:   :bang: 

Best regards,

Pete W.

If you can keep your head when all about you are losing theirs, you haven't seen the latest design change-note!

Online awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
Re: Man's Best Friend: RIP - Unity (2002 - 2015)
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2015, 09:28:46 AM »
Pete,

So sorry to hear of your loss. As you know, I know the pain of loosing a 'best friend' so can empathise with how you must feel.
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline vtsteam

• Global Moderator
  • Republic of Vermont
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2015, 11:20:49 AM »
Pete, it's a hard thing,

I know how it feels. You gave her love and care. She in return, the same.

All were kind to eachother, even now.

I'm sorry, Pete.
I love it when a Plan B comes together!
Steve
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sDubB0-REg

RobWilson

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2015, 12:28:31 PM »
Sorry to hear the sad news Pete   :(

Rob

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2015, 12:50:53 PM »
Sorry to hear that Pete. Their time in our lives seem so short. Shorter than what it should be... I know that feeling all to well.

She is a beautiful girl. Glad she got to live out the rest of her life where she is loved.

Eric
Science is fun.

We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.

Offline Joe d

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2015, 04:31:03 PM »
Sorry to hear that, Pete.  Never easy, dogs fill a very special place in our lives.

Joe

Offline Meldonmech

« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2015, 06:19:18 AM »
Hi Pete

It is always so hard losing your best friend, and hope in time after the pain has healed you will be able to consider giving a home to another deserving dog.

Sympathies  David

Offline micktoon

« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2015, 12:19:18 PM »
Hi Pete
               Sorry to hear your news, Dogs are so loyal and honest friends they leave a massive hole when you loose them. The sadness fades with time but the memories of the happy times do not so things get better.
  I also hope you will be able to offer another dog a loving home.

Best wishes Mick

Offline howsitwork?

« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2015, 05:20:57 PM »
Very sorry to hear of your loss. You did your best for her , and she, no doubt did her best for you.

I have no doubt another friend will come along needing love and care and perhaps you will meet that need.

As I sit here looking at my faithful companion, I've no regrets. Her predecessor had a good life with us, after a time at a sanctuary. This one fell of all 4 paws and returns our love with interest.

Cherish the memories.

Ian