Author Topic: Weather Station  (Read 8800 times)

Offline Ginger Nut

Weather Station
« on: June 19, 2015, 07:10:27 PM »
Sons 38th birthday Friday and he mentioned he'd like a weather station.

This is Mallee Burl with 2 1/2" Bezels showing both sides in use. It free stands on the desk.

Offline SwarfnStuff

Re: Weather Station
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2015, 01:10:20 AM »
Nice job Ginger,
       I was going to ask what part of the Mallee the burl came from because I get up around the Swan Hill area every two years or so. (My wife's old stomping ground.)
       Doesn't really matter, it's a good piece of burl anyway and the job looks great.

Congrats,
John B
Converting good metal into swarf sometimes ending up with something useful. ;-)

Offline Ginger Nut

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2015, 08:07:52 PM »
Sorry for delay in replying. The burl slice was just as is when I bought it cost about $10 so no idea which sectional cut it was. If you find some make sure you post pics. I have been using some nice Coolabah burl also.

Offline Pete49

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2015, 08:22:58 PM »
The mallee burl is usually a section of the mallee root. Its a superior timber for firewood here and I usually went through the firewood pile for my best pieces. Alas no need for a fire in this modern world so I resort to buying it. :(
Pete
oops..........oh no.........blast now I need to redo it

Offline SwarfnStuff

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2015, 01:36:13 AM »
Yeah does burn well and long. I've also seen it used for fencing off the house paddock it was so plentiful on the wife's cousin's property. Bit like the stone dry walls in Victoria's western district among others.
John B

Offline Ginger Nut

« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2015, 08:17:13 PM »
The mallee burl is usually a section of the mallee root. Its a superior timber for firewood here and I usually went through the firewood pile for my best pieces. Alas no need for a fire in this modern world so I resort to buying it. :(
Pete

Just think of all that $$$ you could have made selling it to saps like me  :wave:

Offline Ginger Nut

« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2015, 08:18:12 PM »
Yeah does burn well and long. I've also seen it used for fencing off the house paddock it was so plentiful on the wife's cousin's property. Bit like the stone dry walls in Victoria's western district among others.
John B

Not sure I'd like to turn or put bricks through a thicknesser  :lol:

Offline SwarfnStuff

« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2015, 12:59:46 AM »
Wouldn't burn very well either.  :Doh:  :D :)
John B

Offline nickle

« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2015, 02:23:28 AM »
I have interesting memories of my father turning mallee roots on his wood lathe. Unpredictable failures and interrupted cuts kept him on his toes. I also remember that splitting them with an axe for burning in our stove and open fire was pretty good exercise and an excellent way to work off frustrations.

They are much less plentiful in supply now that large scale vegetation clearance is closely regulated.

Regards,

Nick (living in the mallee)

Offline Ginger Nut

« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2015, 07:25:39 PM »
I have interesting memories of my father turning mallee roots on his wood lathe. Unpredictable failures and interrupted cuts kept him on his toes. I also remember that splitting them with an axe for burning in our stove and open fire was pretty good exercise and an excellent way to work off frustrations.

They are much less plentiful in supply now that large scale vegetation clearance is closely regulated.

Regards,

Nick (living in the mallee)

Nick I remember using an axe on Ironbark as a kid my Uncle had to resharpen the axe which looked like it had been used on an Anvil. Using axe on Mallee Burl if fresh i wouldn't wish to try Coolabah would be far worse its bad enough trying to turn it.

Nick do a search for Australian Burls its a USA based bloke importing Aussie Burls from fellow in Parks NSW. I have seen photos of his shed. Driving round Sydney i wish i had a cherry picker and chainsaw I'd be  :)