Author Topic: Make rings for outboard boat motor  (Read 3880 times)

Offline Alphawolf45

Make rings for outboard boat motor
« on: April 25, 2009, 09:23:40 AM »
  I have a few 70ish year old outboard boat motors that I am having fun rebuilding.... Today will draw/CAD pump impeller and use cnc mill to make that for me... Lot of bad parts on these motors and each a challenge and an education to repair or make replacement part..Considerable fun to take a rusted and busted old motor and get it running again.. I am merely weeks into this type play but I think I will be fooling with old boat motors for a good long while..Might have found my niche..
But I got this one old engine that had piston rusted up inside the cylinder.. I got it out but now need new rings for it.. I emailed OTTO to get new rings and he hasnt got back to me.. But I am pondering , I would prefer to make set of rings myself because the hobby is making stuff, not buying things.... Is there an explanation somewhere handy that somebody can point me at , I want to see how good rings are made in small workshop....
  Hey seriously..Old boat motors let me cast aluminum parts, weld aluminum, fool with carburation and ignition.. I sitting here now wondering about building a small diecasting machine.. Might would ocasionally enjoy building diesets for making impellers and carb parts...... There lots of possibilities for keeping the enthusiasm going in the home workshop............Ohhhhh, I drug in an UGLY old aluminum boat and am half finished putting a boat trailer together..I plan to run these old motors on the lake :ddb:..
I am not actually retired ,I merely find myself disabled by an intolerance for productive activity.

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
Re: Make rings for outboard boat motor
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2009, 10:03:26 AM »
When I was doing some research before... I found the following:

Very Technical link

Model engine news article

Now I have made any yet, so I can't tell you if they are accurate.

How about an RC boat with a scale outboard motor?

Eric
Science is fun.

We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.

Offline Alphawolf45

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2009, 12:42:31 PM »
Thanks Eric that will do nicely..As for small model outboard engines, not for me thankyou...I like fullsized parts that I can see..
I am not actually retired ,I merely find myself disabled by an intolerance for productive activity.

Offline sbwhart

• Global Moderator
  • Smile, Be Happy, Have Fun and Rock Until you Drop
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2009, 01:51:59 PM »
Latest issue of Model Engineer have just had an article on making cast iron rings.

Good Luck

Stew
A little bit of clearance never got in the road
 :wave: