Author Topic: Mill column alignment (Warco WM14)  (Read 5697 times)

Offline picclock

Mill column alignment (Warco WM14)
« on: July 14, 2015, 04:55:03 AM »
I have a warco WM14 fixed column mill. Since new the column was never truly vertical in both x and y planes. The y error is the most at approx 1 thou per inch (with the head attached and in the opposite direction of head nod). I currently have the head removed due to a house move, and have resolved to sort it.

My problem is how to get an accurate measurement to make it truly at right angles to the bed. Ideally, I would like a large (say 12"), accurate engineers square which I could clamp to the bed and then use a dti to measure the error as the head mount was raised and lowered. I figure I could calibrate out any square error by clamping it in the x direction, taking a measurement, then reversing the square but still measuring the against the same edge and using the difference to derive the square error. 

I keep thinking that there must be an easier way but I can't think of one. Once I have it more or less correct I will re attach the head and measure the amount of nod due to the column flexing.

I would very much like to know of any any better methods or techniques to measure the column offsets.

Any help much appreciated

Best Regards

picclock   
Engaged in the art of turning large pieces of useful material into ever smaller pieces of (s)crap. (Ferndown, Dorset)

Offline Will_D

• National Homebrew Club of Ireland
Re: Mill column alignment (Warco WM14)
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2015, 05:23:20 AM »
Hi picclock,

Here is my attempt to set up my Sieg SX2P HT mill:

http://madmodder.net/index.php/topic,10428.msg118322.html#msg118322

Hope this helps!
Engineer and Chemist to the NHC.ie
http://www.nationalhomebrewclub.ie/forum/

Offline trapper

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2015, 08:56:58 AM »
Wonder how you got on with this problem,How do you know the head is out of square,obviously you could put a clock either in/on your spindle and tram the table,but this wouldnt be exactly telling you the truth neither would the method your suggesting with a large square-as even if the head was square but the table was leaning one way or the other this would show an error on the clock or square-Often with milling machines people would not notice such a small error,maybe a slight trail when say a tipped cutter was passing over a face but most used millers do this,hence when you step over doing a large face with a smaller face mill, a small step is very hard to avoid-but it is usually looks a lot worste than it actually is.If needed this can be lapped out without much effort.A way of eliminating "lean" on the table is by locking the vertical column,once you get into posistion prior to final cut,lock the column this often gets rid of lean,and if your machine is an import it might have not one on as they dont make good machines.Adding a lock on the verical column might well eliminate such an error.I have seen much worste such errors eliminated by doing this.Would have though a small machine such as this would have the vertical dovetail machined wider to take a fixed dovetailed "gib" held in via tapped holes from side,that way you could shim the gib,nip it up-and then use the lock that should be on the vertical column or allow you to put one on and use it for nipping up on the final cut.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2015, 09:36:16 AM by trapper »

Offline chipenter

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2015, 11:32:14 AM »
I have just bought a WM15 but is at least 40 yeas old , trammed it up using a surface plate  and a dial guage , check the feet on the surface plate with a mic first .
« Last Edit: August 10, 2015, 02:46:55 PM by chipenter »
Jeff

Offline FlatheadDave

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2015, 07:36:25 AM »
I use one of these for a quick set on the drill table.Place it on table,zero it,then place on column and it should read 90.
Also good for setting up welding jobs,the base doesn't have to be level,you just use it as a zero datum.

http://www.machine-dro.co.uk/wixey-digital-angle-gauge-with-magnetic-base.html

Offline hopefuldave

« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2015, 11:22:55 AM »
You may have it sorted by now, but really you want to check squareness between the column ways and the table ways, I'd use a cylinder square (you could turn one fairly quickly if you have a lathe) and a silver fag paper as a feeder gauge. Assuming the ways themselves are flat and straight, a bit of an assumption!
 For a Warco, that's actually a good'un, strangely all the test/measurement sheets are identical...
Rules are for the obedience of fools, and the guidance of wise men.