The Shop > Composites & Plastics

Scratch Resistant & Laser Cuttable Plastic

(1/4) > >>

awemawson:
I was about to order a bit of 1.5 mm polycarbonate sheet to laser cut a replacement instrument cluster 'glass' for my JCB 803. Then I realised laser cutting is a no no with polycarbonate - apparently the cut is not very good leaving brown edges, and it gives off toxic fumes  :bang:

Acrylic / Perspex works well but scratches easily (I've just cut one from a 3 mm off cut to prove the size)

PetG is easily available but apparently scratches easily

Pet is much the same

So what scratch resistant plastics are easily available in the 1.5 mm thickness that can be laser cut and are scratch resistant?

(I only need 100 mm square for this job but no doubt the same criteria will crop up in the future so I don't mind buying a reasonable sized bit.)

lordedmond:
Andrew

don't know about laser cutting but have you looked at Lexan  they make bullet resistant shields from it , I used to make the chassis plates for my 1/8 scale RC cars as well as the bodies its tuff suff

Stuart

chipenter:
How about water jet cutting that leaves a good edge .

awemawson:

--- Quote from: Stuart on July 21, 2015, 04:25:52 PM ---Andrew

don't know about laser cutting but have you looked at Lexan  they make bullet resistant shields from it , I used to make the chassis plates for my 1/8 scale RC cars as well as the bodies its tuff suff

Stuart

--- End quote ---

Lexan is a trade name for Polycarbonate, which is a no no for laser cutting as I mention above  :(

awemawson:

--- Quote from: chipenter on July 21, 2015, 04:31:14 PM ---How about water jet cutting that leaves a good edge .

--- End quote ---

Jeff, sadly I don't have a water jet cutter, however I do have a laser engraver / cutter  :ddb:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version