Author Topic: Ripper end mills  (Read 20451 times)

Offline John Rudd

Ripper end mills
« on: July 22, 2015, 04:24:27 AM »
So are they any better for roughing out ?
Do they cut faster/remove more metal?

Opinions please.....
eccentric millionaire financed by 'er indoors

Offline AdeV

• Madmodder Committee
Re: Ripper end mills
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2015, 04:54:24 AM »
Definitely - rippers are absolutely brilliant at hogging out material, you can push them MUCH harder than regular end mills.
Cheers!
Ade.
--
Occasionally: Zhengzhou, China. An even longer way from anywhere...

Offline John Rudd

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2015, 05:08:02 AM »
Ah....good answer....looks like I need to spend some hard earned and get me a set in time for making my tool post  :dremel:

So a good source from where to buy these then? Any recommendations? Or avoid?

Cheers Ade...

Offline AdeV

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2015, 05:53:19 AM »
I've always got my (brand new) rippers from a seller on ebay called cncpoorboy. aka Steve, based somewhere in Oldham.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/cncpoorboy/m.html
Cheers!
Ade.
--

Offline trapper

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2015, 06:41:21 AM »
Rippers are a good roughing tool the "knuckles" break down the tooth load,ideal for hard materials like weld,but are equally as good on most materials.I wouldn,t neccesarly say faster than an emill but take a much deeper cut,run them on recommended speeds and you will find thats not fast or you will burn the tool out remember its not speed that gets the job done quicker its feed and doc,Also a similar tool a "hyfeed" cutter similar to a ripper but the "knuckles" are finer just the same as a ripper but dont leave a ridge leaves a commercially accepted finish one of each is handy arnt that expensive and if you look after them eg:-not too many revs-they will last a long time abuse them and they will not-can pick them up cheap on ebay,but with postage is it worth it?

Offline John Rudd

Offline trapper

« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2015, 02:51:04 PM »
Its impossible to know if these are any good, but they are coated so should be ok,price is ok,but l would be inclined to ask him that you want to purchase a single cutter,to try and if they perform to a decent standard you will purchase a set-hasn,t had many sales

Offline Jonny

« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2015, 11:05:44 PM »
I always shy away from the cheap Chinese cutters, what you think may be cheap will be false economy.
Quality ripping cutters are very expensive certainly the last 6 years 10mm dia looking £30ea. Both above links are just HSS and wont last or cut very well due to flex, in fact due to ripper it will wear quicker and a waste of £58. The Arc are a little better for softish materials. The difference milling out QR tool posts above links will wear by time first pass made opening the slot up, quality will open up 3-4 tool posts although around 5 times dearer.

If buying any look out for cobalt types such as this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ONE-CLARKSON-PREMIUM-HSCO-12MM-RIPPA-CUTTER-TICN-/181805849516?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item2a54791bac
New wouldn't be far off the cost of the whole cheap sets together, have a fair few and hate buying them

Offline trapper

« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2015, 10:24:17 AM »
Yes l agree about the chinese import comment,the cobalt ones are the one,s you want,still say you will get one reasonable off ebay,l would even go for a high content cobalt one that was second hand,as if used correctly the cutting edges last a long time,just buy single at first dont go in for sets unless you are offered a set of quality ones at a good price,if your looking for anything in particular related to milling or turning let me know might be able to help you

Offline John Rudd

« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2015, 10:41:34 AM »
Guys,
Thanks off the advice, but as it happened I called into Arc en route to Northampton.
I needed a qctp for my big lathe, so while
I was there I got a full set at a discounted price..... :clap: well I got all of them as a set with the 6mm free....good readily I'd say...

Offline Will_D

• National Homebrew Club of Ireland
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2015, 04:41:54 AM »
Please let us know how you get on with them.
Engineer and Chemist to the NHC.ie
http://www.nationalhomebrewclub.ie/forum/

Offline Phody

« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2015, 05:20:45 AM »
John, I've been using 'Ripper' cutters for some time and just love them. I purchase 'SOMTA' cutter because that's what my local tool merchants stocks(I thinks SOMTA was Dormer - South Africa). They come in two types 'fine tooth' and 'course tooth'. On small milling machines of 1/2 hp or less I use the fine tooth ones. I find that the best results are when you never apply a cut deeper than the ripper teeth. If you do go deeper the cutter load goes up dramatically. The surface finish is one of personal choice - I quite like it. But if you don't just skim over it with a convention end mill. One big advantage is that you don't get those needle sharp shards of steel in you fingers.
Good Luck.
PS Most of my milling is done on a Dore-Westbury Mill and by using fine tooth rippers and a 2MT collet, the results have been a bid improvement.

Offline John Rudd

« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2015, 05:31:01 AM »
Thanks for the info....not sure if these are coarse or fine?

Not used them yet..... :dremel:

Offline trapper

« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2015, 08:14:31 AM »
The coarse ones are actually "rippers" and the finner ones are "hyfeed" both are good tools to have in your arsnal the rippers are for roughing and remove a lot of stock quickly leaving a not so good finish,But thats what they are for roughing then finish with an e.mill to obtain the finish/size yoiu want-excellent if you wanted to do say a repair welding a slot up thats to big and you want to fill it in and remachine The ripper is ideal as will laugh at the weld and not show any wear-remember run then at the RIGHT SPEED to prolong the life of the tool,I have seen many ruined in a short time by someone running them too fast.A hyfeed tool is similar to a ripper but the "knuckles" on the tool are finer these remove metal a lot quicker than an e/mill and leave a better finish than a ripper its descibed as a "comercially accepted" finish and often is acceptable without finishing. Both tools can be reground on an appropiate tool grinder so will last you a long time if you look after them

Offline Jasonb

« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2015, 11:11:00 AM »
Ketan at ARC sent me a couple of the normal cutters from the "premium" range to test a while ago before he took the range on and they have been very good. The factory makes for several of the large "brand" names and apart from the ARC logo these are no different. I have since bought a dozen or so.

J

Offline John Rudd

« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2015, 12:42:17 PM »
Well just tried an 8mm one on some 1/4" bms plate ........
Wow! Impressed at the speed it can cut...initial doc was about .1" next cut full depth of plate.....hmmm...mebbe a bit much.. Reduce the doc to about 1/8.... Still ok.....

Looks the biz... Just need finishing with a standard end mill...but otherwise they're great....even though I have the full metric set of Rippers, think I need some more..,, :dremel:

Can never have enough tools :lol:

Offline SwarfnStuff

« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2015, 03:04:16 AM »
Ah Mr. Rudd, you sound like my son who is into woodworking as a hobby. He states, "You can never have too many clamps" and judging by the number he uses on some jobs I reckon it may be true.
      My problem is with the tools breeding is space to store the things as my workshop is miniscule. Oh well, I just try and choreograph my moves between stuff and pretend I am going to clean up at the end of each task before starting the next. Doesn't always work somehow - too eager to get the next bit done.  :Doh:
Converting good metal into swarf sometimes ending up with something useful. ;-)

Offline Arbalist

« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2015, 05:54:35 AM »
Not used them much but I have a couple of rippers, both of them about 5/8" or 3/4" As they're used to remove large amounts of material what's the point of making thin ones like 10mm? Surely being ridgid is of primary importance?

Offline AdeV

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2015, 06:31:04 AM »
Not used them much but I have a couple of rippers, both of them about 5/8" or 3/4" As they're used to remove large amounts of material what's the point of making thin ones like 10mm? Surely being ridgid is of primary importance?

I almost exclusively use 6mm rippas - the rippa because it's material removal rate is unparalleled; the size because I don't like waste.
Cheers!
Ade.
--

Offline Arbalist

« Reply #19 on: August 07, 2015, 07:00:23 AM »
Sorry can you explain, I'm missing something.

Offline AdeV

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #20 on: August 07, 2015, 07:52:26 AM »
If I'm cutting a piece off a block or plate, using the thinner cutter leaves me more stock material to use another time. If one is pocketing, then I agree, a bigger cutter is better.
Cheers!
Ade.
--

Offline Arbalist

« Reply #21 on: August 07, 2015, 11:26:20 AM »
Ah, I see now. I often trim stuff to size with a slitting saw, never thought of doing it with a mill.

Offline Jonny

« Reply #22 on: August 07, 2015, 05:07:11 PM »
rippers, both of them about 5/8" or 3/4" As they're used to remove large amounts of material what's the point of making thin ones like 10mm? Surely being ridgid is of primary importance?

It is prime importance on any machining op, think smallest have is a 10mm mostly 12 to 3/4".
Pretty good to depth of flutes 5/8" looking close on 2" depth of cut.

Decent hss cutters plough through its diameter to over that depth one pass, ie 6 dia cutting 1/4" ground stock. For every 1mm nipped off that's only 6p saving per 100mm, now I could understand if it was titaniums.

Good to know Jase might try the Premium stuff. Return favour recommend the YFT carbide direct from china at sub UK disposable hss prices.

Offline Will_D

• National Homebrew Club of Ireland
« Reply #23 on: August 08, 2015, 06:39:48 AM »
Return favour recommend the YFT carbide direct from china at sub UK disposable hss prices.
Thanks for the recommend! I bought some cheap carbide mills and they were HSS!

Looking on the bay I only see small size YFT end mills 1 - 4 mm or so.

Do you have any links to bigger sizes
Engineer and Chemist to the NHC.ie
http://www.nationalhomebrewclub.ie/forum/

Offline AdeV

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #24 on: August 08, 2015, 10:44:24 AM »

For every 1mm nipped off that's only 6p saving per 100mm, now I could understand if it was titaniums.

I mostly work at weekends in my shop, so if I need a piece of metal, I have to find it in what I've already got... otherwise it doesn't get made until next week at the earliest (assuming I remember to buy more stock before Friday comes around)... but TBH I was always brought up with the mantra "waste not want not", it's amazing how many things you can get out of an odd-shaped off-cut.
Cheers!
Ade.
--