Author Topic: The other hobby and what people try to pass off when dealing over the net  (Read 5651 times)

Offline PTsideshow

• Global Moderator
I collect tokens general modern type mostly. Arcade, transit etc.  I swapped roll of pennies from tokens and medals he had The first two went well and he was more than happy as I sent copper cents and wheat backs. I was happy with the two boxes of tokens that came.
The final box contained Coinage from GB  and a couple of Conder tokens  and Jetons from the 1700's and 1800's Since I don't collect US coins other than to spend :lol:
Here is what was in the box.

From what I can tell this is a real coin.

It is in fair condition and not worth as much as most people think under $4.00 USD
I will have to check on the silver content and what those are going for in the collectors market. Since I believe they all have been demonetized Since you no longer the shilling and pence.
I thought some my find it interesting what finds its way across the pond.
"The internet just a figment, of my imagination!' 

There are only 3 things I can't do!"
Raise the Dead!
        Walk on water!
                 Fix a broken heart!
and I'm working on the first two!
glen

Offline mexican jon

The first coin is still legal tender in the UK  :scratch: And as it states on the coin it is worth £5 or about $7:63 at todays exchange rate  :clap: the rest have been replaced with modern replacements the  two shilling being replaced by the 10 pence piece, the six pence and the three piece were never replaced with a like for like coin but due to the UK going over to decimal we ended up with the 1 pence and 2 pence piece we did have a 1/2 pence piece but they scraped that a few years ago  :thumbup:
People say you only live once ! I say thank F@*K can't afford to do it twice.

Online awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
The threpenny bit coins were still in circulation when I was a youth. I still have at least two possibly three bank bags of uncirculated ones I  took out of the bank a few weeks before they were withdrawn.
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline NormanV

• United Kingdom
I remember spending farthings, but I didn't keep any.

Offline AdeV

• Madmodder Committee
Traditionally, a few sixpences would be stirred into the Christmas pudding every year. The lucky winners getting, well, sixpence - or, in our household, getting to give them back so they could go in next year's pud....

Not sure if they had to be silver sixpences or whether cupronickel ones sufficed.
Cheers!
Ade.
--
Occasionally: Zhengzhou, China. An even longer way from anywhere...

Offline DavidA

I still have a couple of farthings and a three penny bit somewhere. Along with some old pennies.  But just where I have no idea. probably in a tin in the shed.

Dave.

Offline S. Heslop

• Newcastle Upon Tyne
I've got a tin of old coins somewhere. I found them in an Asda carpark of all places when I was a kid while it was raining, someone must've spilled them all. But I can't imagine why anyone would've had a bunch of old coins there, and how they could've spilled them and not noticed. I'll probably have a look for them tomorrow.

Offline PTsideshow

• Global Moderator
Dug out the back edition of world coins. No joy as all all cupro-nickel or the brass alloy. Lots of people on this side of the pond don't think this coinage is really for the UK since it doesn't say it on the coins. Talk about country snobs. :bugeye:

Raise the Dead!
        Walk on water!
                 Fix a broken heart!
glen

Offline tom osselton

Traditionally, a few sixpences would be stirred into the Christmas pudding every year. The lucky winners getting, well, sixpence - or, in our household, getting to give them back so they could go in next year's pud....

Not sure if they had to be silver sixpences or whether cupronickel ones sufficed.
It was birthday cake for us that contained the coins the only other thing my grandad did was put a silver dollar in the hands of a new addition to the family for luck I still have ours.

Offline chipenter

Before the early 1920 s they were solid silver , and the silver content was reduced utill there was very little after ww2 , we used to have silver treepeny bits in our christmas pud saved just for that .
Jeff

Online SwarfnStuff

I know there was a cut off point with the Threepence and Sixpence coins here in OZ as the silver content dropped leaving a too high copper, etc content which was considered unsafe. We too had to give back the coins for next year after the useable (safe to boil) ones became scarce. Ah meandering down the cobweb lined memory lane.
John B
Converting good metal into swarf sometimes ending up with something useful. ;-)

Offline Bluechip

• Madmodder Committee
  • Derbyshire UK
Got some here, dunno why ...  :scratch:

Top left 5/- crown 1953 in a case, all kids had one at the Coronation IIRC. Top centre Victoria Silver crown 1891. Top right a £13.97  token, no idea what that was for or from. Bottom left a 10/- Ripley Co-Op token I dug out of the garden. Bottom centre a $1 Readers Digest token. And a 1862 halfpenny also dug out of the garden pretty much worn to nowt.

Several pre-decimalisation Bell Fruit tokens ..  :lol:

Once had the Vic. crown valued at £55 some years ago, no real interest in them.

Dave

I have a few modest talents. Knowing what I'm doing isn't one of them.

Offline PTsideshow

• Global Moderator
Boy them bell fruit tokens sure did travel, if they are the same as the ones that were used over here  :clap: That readers digest one is sweet here what our looked like a number of years ago. Plated plastic.

Now when they send them out they are cardboard punch outs! :palm:
thanks for posting them

Raise the Dead!
        Walk on water!
                 Fix a broken heart!
glen