Author Topic: to line or not?  (Read 3055 times)

Offline stirling lad

• Stirling Scotland
to line or not?
« on: July 25, 2015, 08:26:05 PM »
Hi gents,, I'm  writing to ask you guys what I should do with this cylinder and piston next? both are cast iron which I'm told is an excellent self lubricator, but from build logs I've read about flame-licker engines I'm concerned that rust might be a problem,,,
it's for a Heinrici hot air engine. So, my question is am I better to line the cylinder with a stainless steel tube or am I over thinking this??
,,,mike...

Offline appletree

Re: to line or not?
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2015, 06:27:47 AM »
With flame licker engines the issue is the condensation from the flame entering the engine as it is not a closed cycle like the Stirling. I would have thought cast iron mould be fine, out of interest what engine is it, is it a kit?

Offline stirling lad

• Stirling Scotland
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2015, 12:13:49 PM »
Its a casting set for a Heinricci water cooled hot air engine, an ET Westbury design,But it appears to be close to one of the old original German ones...

theres  photos of a finished one here,, I have no link whatsoever  with stationroadsteam, it was the first photos I could find of a completed one thats all.

http://www.stationroadsteam.co.uk/stock%20pages/3690/index.htm

Offline modelman1938

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2015, 04:42:17 PM »
I have built a number of stirling engines all with either mild steel or cast iron cylinders, and all with cast iron pistons and have never had a problem. On the other hand I have just built a flame licker with similar materials, ran it for a few minutes, left it for an hour and it went solid. You should be OK.

Hugh

Offline stirling lad

• Stirling Scotland
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2015, 08:49:28 PM »
Thanks for all your advice guys,, I was a bit wary about committing to one way or tuther... :thumbup:

...mike..