Author Topic: After the Sentinal  (Read 5172 times)

Offline DavidA

After the Sentinal
« on: August 09, 2015, 01:00:50 PM »
After watching John's video on the Sentinal steam wagon,  I thought some of you may be interested in the other end of the steam spectrum.

www.Youtube.com/watch?v=rUg_ukBwsyo

Dave.

Offline AdeV

• Madmodder Committee
Re: After the Sentinal
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2015, 04:10:57 PM »
Now that is nice...

Hmm, I wonder... with the wonders of modern materials & computerisation, I reckon you could condense (pardon the pun) that entire steam system into a modern car... and get pretty good MPG out of it as well. I'd keep a rudimentary gearbox (reverse, neutral, forward) just to make life a bit easier for the driver.

Hmmm... :proj: anyone?  :lol:
Cheers!
Ade.
--
Occasionally: Zhengzhou, China. An even longer way from anywhere...

Offline Manxmodder

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2015, 06:10:40 PM »
Wonderful car,great video.......OZ.
Helixes aren't always downward spirals,sometimes they're screwed up

Offline SwarfnStuff

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2015, 03:57:53 AM »
Hey, thanks for that link. What a blast looking at all the old steam cars. I shall have to go back for more. Good that he can afford em so we can see stuff that is becoming rarer than hens teeth as the saying goes.
John B
Converting good metal into swarf sometimes ending up with something useful. ;-)

Offline S. Heslop

• Newcastle Upon Tyne
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2015, 07:42:30 AM »
Now that is nice...

Hmm, I wonder... with the wonders of modern materials & computerisation, I reckon you could condense (pardon the pun) that entire steam system into a modern car... and get pretty good MPG out of it as well. I'd keep a rudimentary gearbox (reverse, neutral, forward) just to make life a bit easier for the driver.

Hmmm... :proj: anyone?  :lol:

I remember reading that a full gearbox wasn't really required, since the steam had alot of starting torque and with the throttle closed the engine didn't run. I've also heard people say a few times that if steam cars had the same amount of development as internal combustion cars then they'd probably be just as efficient.

After making that electric bike I thought a bit about making a steam bike. There's a few of them hanging about the internet, with varying degrees of whimsy.

Thought this one was cool. Can't imagine it goes very far though.

I figured that to get a useful range out of it you could have a detachable side-car to store extra fuel and water. But I also figured that to get any power or speed out of it you'd need a fairly high pressure boiler, which is also not too heavy. The Stanley steam cars achieved that wrapping tensioned wire around their boilers like old cannons, but all those goofy kinds of boilers and monotube boilers seem to be a black art. Plus I really don't know enough about any of that stuff in general to take on a project like that.