Author Topic: small shop made hydraulic press - ideas for fitting it out  (Read 6745 times)

Offline jcs0001

small shop made hydraulic press - ideas for fitting it out
« on: August 01, 2015, 03:42:39 PM »
I was visiting an old friend today - helping him advertise some stationary tools he wants to get out of his shop.  In the process I ended up buying from him a small hydraulic press with a 12 ton hydraulic jack.  He made it some time ago to do a job and it's been in the corner ever since.  It's approximately 29 in. high x 15 in. wide (outside dimensions).

I also bought a dozen or so c clamps as some of mine were substandard.  Brought home a number of pieces of steel - mostly keystock and round bar - it's always handy and he will be sending what's left (lots) to the scrap yard for about $90 a ton (I think it was about that last time I checked).

I've never used a hydraulic press but figure it might be easier on my medium sized record vice if I use the press instead of the vice.  It's pretty basic as you can see below.

Another photo showing the jack and the plate over the two adjustable rods.  It has 3 positions possible for the "table".

He added reinforcement where the top of the jack hits the frame.

I'm looking for ideas on fixtures to use for this - ones that can be used for a number of jobs.  I imagine I'll be using it to straighten shafts and possibly bend bar stock (if it's substantial enough for this).  I can also see using it to press fittings together and to press them apart (occasionally).

Thanks,

John.

Offline jcs0001

Re: small shop made hydraulic press - ideas for fitting it out
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2015, 03:33:47 PM »
I'm having a bit of fun with the press.  First item was to crush a pop tin (opened).  Sure flattened that out with no trouble.  I found that my bits and pieces of marine plywood worked good as spacers.

Last night I decided to press fit a steel plug into the end of a piece of bored out heavy wall steel pipe.  I left the plug about .002" over size and then applied the press.  It went in like a dream.  Sure beats overworking my good vice or hammering heck out of it with a big hammer.

I'm in the process of putting together a steel plate to fit beneath the plate the jack sits on.  In the centre of that will be the above noted 2 in. or so length of steel pipe.  That way I can make various rams and punches etc that will go into the steel pipe and be held in place with a set screw.  The plate will be held in place with a couple of 1/2 in. nuts and bolts - the pressure will help hold it also so it won't take much.  It will be quick to remove if not needed.

As needed I can make up various collars that will be needed on the top of the "anvil".  I'm not finished with this but will take a couple of photos when done.  Lots easier to understand then.  In the meantime empty cat food tins won't take up near as much room in the recycling. :D

John.

Offline jcs0001

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2015, 03:34:40 PM »
One further thing - I painted the press with a dark green paint that has been on my shelf for years.  Looks very nice now.  Photos later.

John.

Offline vtsteam

• Global Moderator
  • Republic of Vermont
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2015, 08:08:41 PM »
Nice to get a haul like that of things you can really use!

I do have a question about the pipe flange that seems to be on the underside of the reinforced section over the jack piston-- is the jack loose in that? Is it just used for locating the jack piston in place, and not as a reinforcement?

Because I don't think the piston should press against it (being cast iron) -- I'm guessing the piston only presses against the steel above
I love it when a Plan B comes together!
Steve
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sDubB0-REg

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2015, 09:34:21 PM »
John,

There is a member here who is restoring an old motorbike. He makes a lot of the parts by using a press. All kinds of things you can do with it...

I will look for the link.

Eric
Science is fun.

We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.

Offline Sid_Vicious

Nothing is impossible, it just take more time to figure out.

Offline jcs0001

« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2015, 12:07:39 PM »
vtsteam - you are correct, the flange acts only to locate the head of the piston and the piston contacts the steel above.  My friend's welding is a bit rough but functional.  He has designed and built a lot of lapidary and silversmith tools over the years.  Not pretty but they certainly do the job.  He's over 94 years now and giving up on the shop work but still finds it interesting to discuss ideas and design.  Quite a talented fellow.

Sid and Eric - thanks for the info - I'll take a look at that.  I suspect I'll find lots of uses for it.

John.

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
Science is fun.

We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.

Offline vtsteam

• Global Moderator
  • Republic of Vermont
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2015, 10:33:57 PM »
Wow, 94! Good on him -- I hope I'm still making things like that when (and if) I ever get there.  :bow: :beer:
I love it when a Plan B comes together!
Steve
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sDubB0-REg

Offline Fergus OMore

« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2015, 03:10:14 AM »

Room for me- I'm obviously a young stripling at 85!

Cheers

Norman