Author Topic: How do i; find a good set of shop files.  (Read 15048 times)

Offline NeoTech

• Roughedge Hobbyworks
Re: How do i; find a good set of shop files.
« Reply #25 on: September 12, 2015, 05:06:22 PM »
Sweet, will check it out. Seems lika a good store.. as i said i bought primat german files in the end.. works really welll.. but i have started to learn that you cant get enough files..
Machinery: Optimum D320x920, Optimum BF20L, Aciera F3. -- I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work. http://www.roughedge.se/blogg/

Offline PekkaNF

« Reply #26 on: September 13, 2015, 02:00:43 AM »
How fine files do you use to kill the burr on parts?

I have learned to gently (almost glide) final cut along the milled surface to remove last burr from the holes etc. Too coarse abiviously will scratch and too fine clogs easy...there is always some cutting oil and debris, even when you clean with rag.

Pekka

Offline chipenter

« Reply #27 on: September 13, 2015, 02:21:20 AM »
Pekka I use a 10" single cut mill saw file with cutting oil , rub the file backwards with a finger frequently to clear the chips , get the angle right a you get tiny curly shavings .
Jeff

Offline NeoTech

• Roughedge Hobbyworks
« Reply #28 on: September 13, 2015, 02:33:23 AM »
I usually use a deburring swivel knife actually and just cut all edges and corner i round on a 220grit norton stone.

Files to me is a shaping tool, i usually remove stock in blocks and then i start to file the final shape for rounded organic shapes.

That Dictum site.. damn i came for the files - now i have ordered 12 different sharpening stones instead..  :bang:
Machinery: Optimum D320x920, Optimum BF20L, Aciera F3. -- I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work. http://www.roughedge.se/blogg/

Offline PekkaNF

« Reply #29 on: September 13, 2015, 03:30:25 AM »
Pekka I use a 10" single cut mill saw file with cutting oil , rub the file backwards with a finger frequently to clear the chips , get the angle right a you get tiny curly shavings .

aw! I use long big single cut file, which is pretty fine, but I always tought (or more preicisley one old had from tool department told to get rid of all oil and grease before filing - that was when the factories actually still had machine tools and a dedicated department to keep them tooled.....).

I actually don't use abrassives too much....I have a little background from woodworking that tose folks absolutely hate the idea of getting any grit on their tools. Most of my stuff tends to be cut/chopped and fixed until it works and I don't want to leave there any grit.

Pekka

Offline Arbalist

« Reply #30 on: September 13, 2015, 12:52:16 PM »
That Dictum site.. damn i came for the files - now i have ordered 12 different sharpening stones instead..  :bang:

Have you seen the extra hard Knife making Files?  :thumbup:

I've used Dictum quite a few times as they sell stuff I've not seen anywhere else.

Offline NeoTech

• Roughedge Hobbyworks
« Reply #31 on: September 13, 2015, 01:08:15 PM »
Ah yeah i found that 60HRC medium file... i was looking at it and thought it could be nice for cutting weird blade shapes maybe, but well belt grinders work as well most of the time.

Offline raynerd

• Madmodder Committee
    • Raynerds Projects - Raynerd.co.uk
« Reply #32 on: September 18, 2015, 03:48:15 PM »
+1 for  Vallorbe. Awesome files in my limited experience and admit mine are all small clockmakers files. My big ones are old Stubbs which are top notch.