Author Topic: OK, another lathe, but this time the last...  (Read 6213 times)

Offline cloud9rich

• Myford Diamond 10 lathe owner
OK, another lathe, but this time the last...
« on: August 11, 2015, 12:10:24 PM »
Hello again everyone
After a series of incredible coincidences I've aquired a beautiful Myford Diamond 10, in marvelous condition - I'm so chuffed! 
I'm intending to embark on a project to make a pantograph :bugeye:   At my local flower show there are always a couple of 2nd hand bits benches, and on one was a small motor mounted on a bracket, looking like a small pillar drill but with a small pulley mounted. So, being a sucker for interesting old bits, I bought it for £2. A little research revealed it was part of a French engraving machine, a Gravograph made in Paris.  The motor although a filthy does run, and fast!  So,later,  looking through the MM site I came across a message from Solveltaga describing his wooden panto and he kindly included a link to:  http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/threads/46469-Get-a-grip-with-a-3D-pantograph
and this started the ball rolling...  This could be fun eh?
Rich

Tomorrow - who knows, yesterday - who cares

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
Re: OK, another lathe, but this time the last...
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2015, 11:46:04 AM »
Looking forward to see what you do with it!

Eric
Science is fun.

We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.

Offline cloud9rich

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2015, 12:34:00 PM »
Thanks Eric, so shall I!!! :beer:

Rich

Offline mechman48

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2015, 02:18:30 PM »
Hello again everyone
After a series of incredible coincidences I've aquired a beautiful Myford Diamond 10, in marvellous condition - I'm so chuffed! 

Pics would be nice   :drool:

George
George.

Always look on the bright side of life, & remember.. KISS..' Keep It Simple Stupid'

Offline ddmckee54

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2015, 02:25:54 PM »
Be sure you're sitting down if you try ordering engraving bits or parts for this little guy from New Hermes/Gravograph.

I've got a Vangaurd 3400 that I use as a CNC router.  I got it many years ago as salvage, the electronics were fried and had been stripped off with a pair of wire cutters, so all I got was the hardware.

My X-axis drive coupling broke so I ordered a replacement at $120 USD from New Hermes/Gravograph.  I was expecting a nice zero backlash flexible coupling like the original.  What I got was a 1 inch diameter lump of steel with an 8mm bore in one end and a 1/4 inch bore on the other.  I could have made that out of scrap and saved myself the expense!

Gravograph's rather pricey as far as their engraving bits are concerned too.  I think I used to get my bits from Quality One Engravers at a fairly reasonable price, but it's been years since I ordered any.  I converted my machine to use a Bosch compact router, a lot more power and the bits are 1/4 the cost. 

Don
Too many irons, not enough fire.

Offline cloud9rich

« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2015, 08:08:43 AM »
George - couple of pics for you, also one of the concrete base I laid under my shed floorboards in preparation.  The home-made bench is bolted into the concrete and the floorboards re-laid.  Thanks for the interest. :beer:

Don - Having found a pic of the original engraver and hearing about your experience, I'll use the motor for something else I think!!  Thanks for the call:)

Rich :wave:
« Last Edit: August 14, 2015, 08:48:44 AM by cloud9rich »

Offline mechman48

« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2015, 02:46:47 PM »
Niiiiice machine, looks real mint,   :clap:  I'm sure you're going to have lots of fun with that.

George
George.

Always look on the bright side of life, & remember.. KISS..' Keep It Simple Stupid'