Author Topic: Looking for a small lathe  (Read 7123 times)

Offline JHovel

Looking for a small lathe
« on: August 12, 2015, 05:08:56 AM »
Hi all.
more pairs of eyes looking is always etter than just one pair....
I'm looking for a very small and simple lathe for my two grandchildren.
They are forever watching and 'helping' me "peeling metal" on my lathe.
I'd love to let them have a go - other than just turning some handles here and there, but it's just too dangerous on a larger lathe.
They are very mechanically adept and use hand-tools, as well as compressed air and battery powered tools very expertly and safely.
Something the size of a Unimat 3, an Adapt or the samllest Sieg (or equivalent) would be fine. I would also like it to be protable, so they can take it to their own workshop when I'm convinced they are safe enough to use it under the supervision of their (woodworker) father.
There are modern tiny lathes on eBay with an envelope of 55mm swing and 115mm centre distance. I had a look at them, but they are a nasty quality toy with lots of plastic components. I just wouldn't entertain one of those....
I'd rather restore a 70 year old cast iron mini lathe for them.
Oh, budget is not great either..... just thought I mention that.....

Cheers,
Joe
Cheers,
Joe

Offline DMIOM

• Isle of Man
Re: Looking for a small lathe
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2015, 05:24:02 AM »
Joe, it might help possible responses if you could indicate what part of the world you're in.

Dave

Offline trapper

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2015, 06:34:51 AM »
Couple of Warco,s both very good condition on Gumtree lathes,one being sold due to bereavement ,that one is  a mini lathe looks hardly used @£200-the other one is its big brother at £350-you saying a mini lathe these one,s are decent machines ideal for a beginner-which you can sell on when time comes

Offline gerritv

• St Catharines
    • My Hobbies
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2015, 08:31:34 AM »
3rd time trying to post a response

I can highly recommend a Taig/Peatol. Small, portable, accurate, lots of reasonably priced add ons available.

http://hobbies.psgv.ca/machining/taig-my-new-lathe/

Offline Fergus OMore

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2015, 11:44:26 AM »
I've MJ-189 , Unimat 3 or 4 clone with little use and a number of accessories. I'd bought it for retirement etc.
It was up for £250 which is what I paid someone who went into a home.

No one will put their hand into their pocket at that price and have wanted it for free. I've got. my ford lathe tray and the would be- take it off your hands person wanted it for free-after I'd cleaned and gift wrapped it.

I suspect that both will go to the tip.

Rather bitterly

Norman

Offline gerritv

• St Catharines
    • My Hobbies
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2015, 06:59:20 PM »
Norman, did you try posting your machine availability on the Unimat and Unimat 3 Yahoo groups? Likely to find a buyer there.

Gerrit

Offline awerby

« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2015, 03:45:05 PM »
Aside from the Taig lathe, you might also look at the Sherline lathes. They're small but well-made lathes with a wide range of available accessories. Unlike the Taig lathes, they come (optionally) with a DRO and  can be purchased with CNC drivers, stepper motors, and software that turns your computer into a CNC controller.

Andrew Werby
www.computersculpture.com

Offline raynerd

• Madmodder Committee
    • Raynerds Projects - Raynerd.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2015, 08:03:46 PM »
Another vote for the taig/peatol. It's a cracking lathe. I've had a unimat 3, cl300 and currently a decent Cowells and the Peatol was as good, cheaper and cheaper more available accessories.

Offline Fergus OMore

« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2015, 08:05:29 AM »
Another vote for the taig/peatol. It's a cracking lathe. I've had a unimat 3, cl300 and currently a decent Cowells and the Peatol was as good, cheaper and cheaper more available accessories.
But Chris- he's not biting at £250 for a newish and  rather well equipped Unimat3 clone.

Norman

Offline JHovel

« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2015, 08:12:16 AM »
Hi everyone. Thank you for the many replies!
For some reason, my notifications have stopped.
In any case, I'm actually in Australia..... so a great £250 lathe - perfectly suited at both price and size - will end up way too expensive shipped to this side of the globe, I'm afraid.

However, I'm looking at a Taig in Oz on eBay at the moment. It may bring more than the owner suspects....

Fixed my profile.....
Cheers,
Joe

Offline raynerd

• Madmodder Committee
    • Raynerds Projects - Raynerd.co.uk
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2015, 08:46:51 AM »
But Chris- he's not biting at £250 for a newish and  rather well equipped Unimat3 clone.

Norman

Neither would I for a clone. I would buy a brand new Peatol/taig