The Craftmans Shop > New from Old

60W Chinese Laser Engraver Modification

(1/6) > >>

awemawson:
A little while back I bought an eBay Special 60W Chinese laser engraver / cutter which has featured in the odd thread here on the forum, but I've decided to start a new thread to gather all the bits I do into one place.

It's been mentioned here : (and perhaps a few other places  :scratch: )

http://madmodder.net/index.php/topic,10883.0.html

Today I finally got fed up with the lousy mains wiring to the peripherals and made up a new power output panel. The problem was that the originals were 'universal' sockets of rather poor quality that didn't retain the plugs sufficiently to take the cable weight

This is what there was

awemawson:
Not only were the sockets poor quality, they didn't grip in their cut outs properly so the manufacturer had jammed bits of wood in to fix them  :bugeye:

awemawson:
I decided to use "IEC" power outlet sockets from a reputable UK manufacturer (Bulgin) and make up a steel panel to fill the existing cut outs and mount the sockets.

So draw it up in FeatureCAM, cut a blank on the guillotine, mount it in the CNC mill and make it . . . it was one of the few occasions when the whole process went smoothly, even down to the slightly dodgy mounting of the panel as it was being cut - yes there are parallels below the panel   :clap:

awemawson:
I decided to keep the "Earth Terminal" that all these lasers seem to have, as although I don't use it (as the machine is earthed via it's standard 13A inlet) it was a convenient way of minimizing the wiring changes

awemawson:
So I was more than happy to consign all the old stuff to the dust bin and put the new into use.

I'm sure that there must be robust two and three pin US style plugs and sockets, but these weren't they  :clap:

At least now I'm not having to constantly check that the plugs haven't fallen out. One is for the water circulation to cool the laser and only a matter of a few minutes disconection would scrap £250 / £300 worth of laser tube  :zap:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version