Author Topic: Drill sharpener  (Read 11249 times)

Offline trevoratxtal

• Torbay, South Devon, England
Drill sharpener
« on: August 25, 2015, 02:37:11 AM »
For UK folk.
Coming Thursday 27th Aug 15 at Lidl
http://www.lidl.co.uk/en/our-offers-2491.htm?action=showDetail&id=26224
Sounds good.
I am just a Lidl customer.
Love their tools.
Trev

Offline Fergus OMore

Re: Drill sharpener
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2015, 03:08:26 AM »

Frankly, I simply wonder if this new gadget is any better than the last one- and the one before that.
I'm sitting with a knife grinder from either Lidl or Aldi and it is crap.

One argument is that for a £20 note you can get quite a few sharp drills and the other is that the cheap  drills are - not worth a grind anyway.

On a wider canvas(s), the Chinese economy is taking a nose dive- and has for days now. Our own economy is tumbling in line. Will £20 get a Lidl bargain - before Thursday?

Interesting :loco:?

Offline PekkaNF

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2015, 05:35:04 AM »
Here in Finland this has been on 27€ or something, but I know one person that binned it right after first drill sharpening and the other returned it and got money back.

I haven't tried it. What kind of rebuild it would take to make it work? Probably not a one single plastic part between drill and stone?

Pekka

Offline Fergus OMore

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2015, 06:10:44 AM »
Points taken and comments noted.

I've played about with various plastic so called drill grinders with limited success but with more failures than can be admitted. In others words, I'm an idiot :lol:

Even if these drill grinders were any good, they only admit a certain range of drills ie in perhaps half millimetre intervals whereas we prefer and need more drills in a half mm space! We know this but I've mentioned it again.

So where have I been? Lidl's and Aldi's are good for somethings but I went a little off centre and thought again of having a selection of grinding gear- which does a remarkable restoration of workshop cutting tools.
So why not 'do the Four Facet system'? It doesn't even demand a centre drill or if you are ancient like me a Slocomb drill.

The cost of many of these longer lasting affairs is considerable- and dead cheap.

I looked at one design last night and apart from unearthing a few bits of rusty round, there was about 4 bits of 2mm mild steel sheet and a bit of nylon. One hiccup from being dead simple was that I would have to braze, weld or whatever 2 of the little sheets. If I got the Mig out, I would get away with a few skip welds- nothing more. The brackets were also scrap things given to me.

There are other simple jigs, but that one took my fancy

Norman

Offline John Rudd

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2015, 08:29:20 AM »
Well don't want to rain on anyone's parade.....but...

I bought the Clarke one from Machine Mart some time back....what a POS.....!!....the biggest drawback with the machine is that you cannot guarantee an equal grind on each face....so you nay as well stick with a free hand machine...

This was the main reason I went for the Sealey machine ( in another thread I started ...http://madmodder.net/index.php/topic,10821.0.html )
eccentric millionaire financed by 'er indoors

Offline BaronJ

• Grumpy Old Git !
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2015, 09:05:01 AM »
I got one of those a couple of years ago for €10 whilst on holiday in France.  :doh:  I only bought it because it was marked "Half Price" and the box was cracked.  Great if you want a set of drills and a couple of coarse bevelled grinding wheels.  Actually the drills are not bad at all, but as a drill sharpener its rubbish and not to be recommended

Best Regards:
                     Baron

Offline Fergus OMore

« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2015, 09:34:44 AM »
Well don't want to rain on anyone's parade.....but...

For £20 more than the cost of the Sealey affair, I came back home with a Stent tool and cutter grinder.
Admitted it was only a fabricated one but it does rather more than what the price suggested.

I suppose that if I had a scrap drill chuck, it would do twist drills as well. Interesting little beast for £100.

Oh, I forgot, I came back with covers for my readouts on my mill/drill.

Turned out nice again!

Norman

Offline hermetic

« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2015, 05:31:53 PM »
I bought one for less than £20, It is not a precision machine tool, but IF YOU READ THE INSTRUCTIONS, which some of the above posters obviously have not, it will produce a reasonably sharp drill that will drill mild steel with no problems. It will probably drill oversize, but for your average diyer wacking 1/4 holes in angle iron for 1/4 bolts, it saves the unskilled hours of work at the grinder producing spears, or something you could ride bare ars*d to London on with no personal damage. they "work" but they aint precision. What do you expect for the price!
Man who says it cannot be done should not disturb man doing it! https://www.youtube.com/user/philhermetic/videos?

Offline sparky961

« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2015, 08:22:24 PM »
It doesn't take much time or skill to hand grind bits to the low standards you mention. Its when you need an accurate drill where yyou really start wishing for a decent sharpener.

Offline Fergus OMore

« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2015, 03:59:35 AM »
Sparky is quite right but there is something which is always missed about drills. Why don't drill grinder manufacturers make a tool to do both conventional twist drills and end mills and slot drills. Most are the same bits of twisted metal, only their ends are different .

Have a nice day?

Norman

Offline PekkaNF

« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2015, 06:00:47 AM »
Twist drills are generally with two flutes, alhough I would prefer three sometimes...

Endmills/slotdrills come in may varieties
http://www.arceurotrade.co.uk/Catalogue/Machines-Accessories/End-Mill-Re-Sharpening-Module#EMG-12-End-Mill-Re-Sharpening-Module

Googling that finds some flame wars. Entertaining reading, but make your own popcorns first.

Pekka

Offline John Stevenson

• In Memoriam
  • Nottingham, England.
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2015, 07:14:14 AM »
There will always be flame wars is someone has to spend more than 17/6d   :palm:

Long - short was that Ketan sold out of the initial shipment of 50 units in 4 weeks. That answers it's own question
John Stevenson

Offline PekkaNF

« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2015, 08:06:21 AM »
Well, it has fixtures and all mating surfaces are metal. It looks like it should work. Probably a decent drill sharpener would look like that and cost close to that too.

Problem is that most of the people in home hobby environment don't use that many drills/endmills in few years to make it purely economically justified.

Although, sometimes in my weak moments I wish I had something like that, although I now that local sharpener will sharpen my fistfull of over 10 mm endmills between orders in couple of days and it's cheaper.....but.

Drills, small ones are hard to sharpen no matter what, under 10 mm normal HSS I can't justify, but morse taper drills would be really nice to sharpen without resorting to freehand job.

Still, I have a can where I collect dull/broken drills and endmills. Maybe one day. Untill then I just need to have more sharp tools.

Pekka

Offline Bigbadbugga

• Whiston (nr Liverpool)
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2015, 03:09:33 PM »
Tools: Boxford CSB lathe, Chester 20v mill, Portamig 185. Lots of ideas, No motivation.

Offline krv3000

« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2015, 03:37:34 PM »
lol that EMG12 looks like the loonier module

Offline John Rudd

« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2015, 04:10:22 PM »
Having watched that video, the setting procedure for the Sealey unit is more or less the same....
The main difference is the Sealey unit uses an induction motor rather than the brushed type...
eccentric millionaire financed by 'er indoors