Author Topic: Any Mathmatitions On Line (lathe change wheels)  (Read 12096 times)

Offline doubleboost

• Madmodder Committee
  • Newcastle Upon Tyne
Re: Any Mathmatitions On Line (lathe change wheels)
« Reply #25 on: August 31, 2015, 12:50:00 PM »
John,
What size is the 63 teeth gear on the OD and bore details.
I have a box of old change wheels here from auctions and college clearouts, might just have one.
Thanks for the kind offer John I will have a measure up

Offline doubleboost

• Madmodder Committee
  • Newcastle Upon Tyne
« Reply #26 on: August 31, 2015, 12:52:44 PM »
John,

Is your dividing head the BS0 type with a 40:1 worm and wheel?

If you have a division plate with 29 and 33 holes you could use compound indexing.

You need an extra detent plunger to engage with the 33 hole hole circle. (I made mine with a piece of stiffish spring steel and rivetted a pin in the end. The division plate is not bolted - it is free to rotate and the extra detent (in the back of the plate) stops it rotating.

To get 63 divisions you index 4 turns and 19 holes on the 29 hole circle and then 14 holes on the 33 hole circle by moving the plate. This doesn't give an exact division - the maximum error is 0.027 degrees.

The downside is that the chances of getting something wrong are high unless you're very, very careful.

A better solution would be for me to drill you 63 holes in a plate on my CNC mill. If you want one tell me what OD and ID. It would have to be in 3mm MS because, other than 16mm boiler plate, that's all I have. 63 holes would be very tight on a BS0 plate so the holes would have to be a bit smaller - meaning a smaller pin.

Cheers.

Phil.

Thanks for the offer that would be the ideal solution a direct plate
I will go with the 64 tooth gear and compare the results to the 63
Then decide from there
John

Offline trapper

« Reply #27 on: August 31, 2015, 02:19:17 PM »
You can only try John if you havnt got the correct plate for your D/Head if it was me I would go slightly deeper on the depth

Offline Pete.

« Reply #28 on: August 31, 2015, 04:22:35 PM »
That'll be 24 hole plate, index every 15 holes John.

Offline krv3000

« Reply #29 on: August 31, 2015, 05:41:49 PM »
well I wood just mack a adapter to fit the 63 tooth onto the divider and set up a detent on the mill bed  :)

Offline John Hill

• The Artful Bodger
  • Madmodder Committee
« Reply #30 on: August 31, 2015, 11:20:30 PM »
I will be very disappointed John if you do not make a 63 hole indexing plate.  :coffee: You make the first one then make another from it and each time you do that the errors are averaged until you have the accuracy you require.

Thats what Henry Maudslay would have done! :bow:
From the den of The Artful Bodger

Offline trapper

« Reply #31 on: September 01, 2015, 06:31:34 AM »
Yes John as has been said 15holes on a 24plate it is 5/8turn you want if your going to put up with a 64tooth gear,or multiply 5/8 by whatever you have( 5/8x3=15holes24plate)5/8x4=20holes 32plate(5/8x8=40holes 64plate) etc-Good Luck