Author Topic: SIEG X2 Large Table Power Feed?  (Read 2786 times)

Offline MetalMuncher

SIEG X2 Large Table Power Feed?
« on: August 31, 2015, 11:23:33 AM »
Little Machine Shop sells an oversized base and XY table for the SIEG X2 style mini mills. Their part number for it is 3677.

I am interested in upgrading my Homier X2 style mini mill with that table, but rather than spend an additional $300 to get the power feed kit that is made for that table, I would like to use the existing power feed I have on my Homier, which is also sold by LMS as part number 2501 (the one with the 0.050" per turn lead screw).

I asked LMS about it and Chris told me the way the 3677 power feed is a bolt on accessory is quite different than how the 2501 connects, so he doesn't think this is possible. But one thing I have learned in over a decade in this hobby is that these little machines have great potential, and many things are possible simply by designing and building what they need to achieve a goal. Indeed, I have a second 2501 power feed box that I just installed as a belt fed drive for my Y axis on this mill. :) I should be able to move it to the larger 3677 with minimal fuss.

So I think it is just a matter of making the right adapter interface between my 2501 power feed and a new 3677 table. I am wondering if anyone has done this already, or has devised any other custom power feed for the X axis on the 3677?

Any advice will be appreciated. :)

Offline velocette

Re: SIEG X2 Large Table Power Feed?
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2015, 01:47:40 PM »
Hi Metal Muncher
You are the engineer go for the fabricate and fit just because it MAY not bolt straight on no reason why it cannot be done.
Even if you have to design and build your own.
One feature that I can suggest is that you mount the power feed motor gear box on a couple of Parallel round shafts and drive the lead screw with a dog clutch.
This can be slid out of mesh to avoid spinning the motor when using the hand feed.
Mr Seig would find it hard to recognize my X2 mill with it's multiple mods.

Eric

Offline MetalMuncher

Re: SIEG X2 Large Table Power Feed?
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2015, 02:51:18 PM »
Hi Velocette,

I love how you think!  :) The last thing I ever want to hear is 'you can't do that', and I've spent over 60 years proving wrong those who say it.

I can't think of a reason why my current power feed wouldn't be able to handle the larger table. If it took more power to turn the crank, it would be miserable to work manually. If anyone had tried this and failed I hoped to learn of it. Otherwise, it looks like I'll be taking on the project. I'm constantly fighting a lack of getting 'just a little more' on the ends of the X axis on the stock table.

Thanks!
« Last Edit: August 31, 2015, 06:21:07 PM by MetalMuncher »