Author Topic: Edwick lathe four jaw mount.  (Read 5019 times)

Offline mattinker

Edwick lathe four jaw mount.
« on: September 23, 2015, 03:36:54 PM »
I've been very busy this summer it started with three days in hospital with pneumonia! Then working whilst other people are on holiday. My treatment for the heavy metals has been very positive, feeling much better, but having to go out and work and the stay in Hospital means that I'm pretty exhausted! More tests soon to see whether I need more treatment.

I did manage to get some work done on the Edgwick, I made a backing plate for the four jaw chuck that had never been mounted on this lathe as it had a screw fitting on it!

I started out by drilling out the mounting holes as they were 1/2", so metric studding would have had to be 12mm which felt a little light for the 12" four jaw.

Drill mount on the tool post using a home-made 43mm electric drill mount.

It will now comfortably take 14mm studs.

The only available bit of 20mm hot rolled that I had was a little small so I built it up with weld!

Having built up with and turned down to size, I starting drilling out the through hole to 50mm.

The Edgwick has a nice feature on the tool post, a 1 1/4" (31.7mm) bore to take a boring bar. I made 2 sleeves, a 1/2" (12.7mm) and a 20 mm inside diameter to suit existing boring bars and one that I am making.

My cheepo callipers don't read the same on inside and outside measurement, these inside calipers allowed me more accuracy.

Turning the backing plate round.

I tacked the studs in place

In order to transfer the hole pattern form the screw mount to the new three bolt mountI made a circular clamp using palette banding steel. I keep scraps of banding, they make good 0.5mm shims very useful on the old tool post. They also make good wavy paralels (this requires careful bending to get the height consistent) and spring to hold parelels in place.

Transfer drilling the new backing plate.

The chuck was drilled to 14mm, tapping size for M16

Tapped.

I used 16mm countersunk screws as these were the only counter sunk head that I had that that would do the job! I had originally planed to use the original four bolt configuration, but it wouldn't quite fit in. As it was, I had to reduce the head size from 30mm to 25 to get it to fit, both inside the register and to be able to countersink with my 25mm countersink!

Having move two of the holes, I had to use shorter bolts to avoid running into the jaw screws!

I mounted the chuck and cleaned it up with a wire brush and a scraper. As I took it apart and cleaned it, it became apparent that this chuck has never been used! The only marks on it are from transport and miss-handling! The jaws are unmarked and have no play!

The marking  rings are 1/2" apart and numbered from 3 to 10, strange!

Regards, Matthew.

Offline krv3000

Re: Edwick lathe four jaw mount.
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2015, 03:48:35 PM »
brill

Offline jcs0001

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2015, 03:52:09 PM »
Matthew:

Great work and photos - good comment on the metal strapping for packing/shim material - never thought of that.

John.

Offline mexican jon

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2015, 04:42:38 PM »
Love it  :thumbup: :thumbup: That's my kind of engineering  :beer:
People say you only live once ! I say thank F@*K can't afford to do it twice.

Offline DMIOM

• Isle of Man
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2015, 03:01:52 AM »

Are they perchance a guide as to diameter in inches? i.e. if inside jaws were on the 6 would it be ready to grasp a 6" OD item? / if the outside jaws were on the 10 would it be ready for a 10" ID item?

Dave

Offline mattinker

« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2015, 09:50:28 AM »
Thanks for the comments!

Are they perchance a guide as to diameter in inches? i.e. if inside jaws were on the 6 would it be ready to grasp a 6" OD item? / if the outside jaws were on the 10 would it be ready for a 10" ID item?

Dave
Dave
The rings are 1/2" apart, 10 is marked on the inside of the first ring, not on the outer edge! It's a 12" chuck. I haven't found the explanation yet, it might take some time as I work in millimetres!

Regards, Matthew

Offline Manxmodder

« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2015, 01:53:12 PM »
Great bit of resourceful engineering ,Mathew.  :clap: :clap: ......OZ.
Helixes aren't always downward spirals,sometimes they're screwed up

Offline mattinker

« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2015, 04:38:14 PM »
Thanks Manx!