Author Topic: Union Toolmakers Cabinet  (Read 9470 times)

Offline JD

• Gosport Hampshire UK
Union Toolmakers Cabinet
« on: September 30, 2015, 09:46:31 AM »
Just got round to bring this baby back to life.
Paid £5 or $7.50 ish a year ago VERY HAPPY with that.
I have researched the makers name and the US comes up as country of manufacture.
Now the draws and the inside of the box are not numbered, the lock is Made in Germany I don't have any keys  :scratch:
The draw lining is similar to either Doe Skin or Velum, the knobs are aluminium with a white insert.
I don't want to start stripping it (the original finish turns to powder when you touch it) without finding replacement decals.
I have searched for spare keys (I would like to keep the original lock) no luck.
So I am looking for where,when,why, how and who I can get new keys,decals and more info into the origin of this box.
JD
If you cant fix it hit it with a bigger hammer

Offline bertie_bassett

Re: Union Toolmakers Cabinet
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2015, 11:37:37 AM »
for the keys you might be able to make them, depends how complicated they are.

if you can open one up that should help work out the shape needed, then its a case of filing away at a bit of key shaped metal until it works.
a competent engineer uses the tools and knowledge available, to get a challenging job done.

An incompetent "engineer" tells his boss that the existing equipment "can't do the job" and to get another machine

Offline tom osselton

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2015, 01:54:14 PM »
I'd take it to a locksmith should be a easy fix.

Offline chipenter

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2015, 02:48:35 PM »
The keys are just flat steel , you may be able to replace it with a lock from a locker .
Jeff

Offline jcs0001

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2015, 09:18:42 PM »
Nice old toolmaker's cabinet.  I also figure that a locksmith would make a key quite quickly although somewhat more expensive than if you can do it yourself.  Should be able to pick it with a paperclip (reminiscent of an office I worked at where some employees found that inserting a paperclip into the spout of the automatic (coin collecting) coffee maker would open the valve and give them free coffee). :D

John.

Offline vtsteam

• Global Moderator
  • Republic of Vermont
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2015, 09:21:22 PM »
Just a side note. If the finish turns to powder easily, there's a fair likelihood that it is shellac. And the miracle of shellac is that it is possible to rejuvenate what looks like a spoiled finish (like powder, crazing, deep cracks, etc) by rubbing with a cloth wetted with denatured alcohol. Shellac is easily dissolved in that solvent, and if done right you can go back to a shiny non-powder, uncracked finish by that method. I had an old chair whose finish was absolutely horrible. But when wiped down with denatured alcohol, it came back with an unspoiled patina and a fine finish.

I'm not saying your box is for sure shellac JD, or that you'll get the absolutely the same results if you try it, but the possibility is there, and what do you have to lose? Try it on a small spot if you want, to see if it works
I love it when a Plan B comes together!
Steve
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sDubB0-REg

Offline JD

• Gosport Hampshire UK
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2015, 02:47:15 PM »
Thanks for all your replies.
Tom, John, took your advice on locksmith found a local company (tucked away in the corner of an industrial estate) but due to the age of the lock I thought it was mission impossible. How wrong  can you be, cost a bit more then expected, but doing so has kept the box original.
The company is.

Access Locksmiths Ltd
Unit 2
Pennant Park
Standard way
Fareham
Hampshire
PO168XU
01329 822282.
I have no affiliation with this company just a very happy customer.
Immensely helpful with good service and friendly, that's a rare animal today.
VT I haven't looked at the finish closely yet, now the lock is sorted next week is a spare one so I will have a go then.
Thanks for all your replies and suggestions gents.
Next will be a few photos and words on renovating this box.
I am still unable to find a manufacturer of the decals in UK, anybody know of a company out there anywhere on this planet who could help.
Happy modding JD     

Offline tom osselton

« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2015, 03:32:00 PM »
I belive you can get some decal material from hobby stores used for models that print the graphics from the home computer.

Offline JD

• Gosport Hampshire UK
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2015, 09:09:53 PM »
Tom, could use CAD software to draw up the initial design and print from that.
Once again thank you.
JD 

Offline jcs0001

« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2015, 11:44:27 PM »
JD - glad to hear you were able to get keys.  It's a good start on fixing up a very nice cabinet. 

John.