Author Topic: Parting tool holder repair  (Read 2854 times)

Offline Chuck in E. TN

• USAF Retired
Parting tool holder repair
« on: October 02, 2015, 01:28:21 PM »
 I purchased the OXA tool post set from LMS at Cabin Fever a few years ago. Within a few weeks the socket of the Allen screw that clamps the blade was stripped. I contacted LMS to see if a replacement screw was available. It was not,  and they sent me a replacement parting tool holder at no cost. Great service! But, now the same is happening with the replacement’s adjusting/clamp screw. The screw in these holders, if you didn’t know, is M6 right hand thread on the clamp end, and M6 left hand thread on the head end. 
I am thinking of turning the head end  of a M6 SHCS screw down to fit the socket of this screw, and silver soldering it into the socket.  Would this be strong enough to hold up? That would give it a bigger heavier socket that might last longer.
What say ye? Any other ideas?
Chuck
Chuck in E. TN
Famous TN last words: "Hey ya'll, watch this..."
MicroMark 7x14, HF X2 mill, Green 4x6 saw. Harbor Freight 170A mig

Offline Chuck in E. TN

• USAF Retired
Re: Parting tool holder repair
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2015, 04:10:12 PM »
Well, silver soldering didn't work. The only way to solder the modified screw into the stripped socket was to solder it in place. The body sucks the heat out of the screw, and I couldn't get the screw hot enough to flow the solder. Now the socket has a blob of solder in it ...
I guess the only thing for it is to drill out the left hand threads, and get a M6 cap screw long enough to reach the wedge.
Chuck
Chuck in E. TN

Offline Jonny

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2015, 04:17:43 PM »
If you are stripping the thread already, proper silver solder wont hold up.

Just had a look at one of the 250-207 B series, haven't checked but if its mean to be M8 its well undersize at 7.25mm.
Rarely use it but if went would throw it away, gave 5 away.
That said better off using a larger grub screw and threading up. Or better still drill out the rear holder and use a hex bolt up against back face pulling the wedge in assuming its rh thread.

Offline Chuck in E. TN

• USAF Retired
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2015, 05:15:58 PM »
Not stripping the thread, rounding out the Allen socket. I think the socket is 3.5 mm and I've been using a 3mm T-handle wrench on it.

Chuck
Chuck in E. TN