Author Topic: Replace a JT33 locking collar drill press chuck with a key-less model?  (Read 4521 times)

Offline MetalMuncher

I have a Craftsman 13" 5 Speed floor model drill press new in 1985. It's stock chuck is a JT33 which has a locking ring threaded onto the arbor.

I'd like to get an (affordable) key-less chuck for it. But after hours of online searching, I don't ever see any mention of a threaded locking ring being on any JT33 key-less chuck. In fact, I don't see a locking ring mentioned on the available JT33 keyed chucks either. Is the threaded locking ring something proprietary to Craftsman (the original chuck is listed as no longer available now) or is it intrinsic to a JT33 style, such that no one bothers to mention it in the specs of a JT33 chuck for sale?

OR..... Is there no such thing as a JT33 key-less chuck with a locking ring to be had?

Hoping you good folks can shine a lot in this puzzle.

Aside from the convenience of going key-less I am also dealing with wear on either the key or chuck or both which is making tightening it hard to do, as the key slips a tooth just as it starts to tighten. Do these chuck teeth wear too, or is it likely just the key that is wearing out? If it is just the key worn down, I can replace it I guess, if it won't be possible for me to find a chuck to fit this press.

Offline philf

Re: Replace a JT33 locking collar drill press chuck with a key-less model?
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2015, 02:55:46 PM »
Have you seen the manual for your drill press:

http://www.managemylife.com/mmh/lis_pdf/OWNM/L0805251.pdf

If it is indeed a JT33 taper then any JT33 taper chuck should fit. e.g. ArcEuro do a keyless JT33 chuck with 1-13mm capacity for £23.63.

I can only guess that Craftsman added a locking collar to prevent the chuck coming off if it was used as e.g. a router. Such intermittent cutting forces cam loosen a taper fit chuck.

I've never had a chuck come off its taper when used for drilling which is after all what a drill press is for.

Cheers.

Phil.
Phil Fern

Offline chipenter

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2015, 02:57:54 PM »
Are there any outher numbers on the chuck b16 or jt3 are the usual tapers , can you get the chuck off to measure .
Jeff

Offline Manxmodder

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2015, 03:19:11 PM »
Metalmuncher,is it definitely a locking ring or is it possibly similar to my Progress drill where there is a threaded collar immediately above the chuck solely for the purpose of ejecting the chuck from the taper?......OZ
Helixes aren't always downward spirals,sometimes they're screwed up

Offline MetalMuncher

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2015, 04:00:38 PM »
That's a good question! Thanks to philf for a PDF of the manual (I have mine, but right now my file cabinet in the shop is inaccessible due to a major project underway). I found that the ring appears to serve both functions. Here is what they say on page 12:

(see attached)

Sounds like the ring does come off along with the chuck?  I can't remember from installing it 30 years ago ;)  So then I could use any JT33 keyless chuck and just tap it home with a mallet? Might want to invest in some wedges if I ever wanted to remove it someday.

Offline MetalMuncher

« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2015, 04:01:47 PM »
Are there any outher numbers on the chuck b16 or jt3 are the usual tapers , can you get the chuck off to measure .

Thanks, but now that I can check the manual we know it is a JT33 with a threaded ring on it.