Author Topic: Maplin Cordless 18V Lithium drill replacement  (Read 2664 times)

Offline picclock

Maplin Cordless 18V Lithium drill replacement
« on: October 13, 2015, 12:06:08 PM »
Hi

My rather good Maplin drill has finally become all but unusable. A condition caused by excessive wear on the main shaft sleeve bearing ( :drool:) resulting in a chuck with more wobble than rotation. So I'm up for a replacement. hopefully one that has better bearings on the main shaft and all metal gears (the maplin one had these and they are in good nick). I only use this drill for light work, like making pilot holes before I use a corded drill for the real work. One of its advantages is the low weight (1.5Kgms) which makes holding it above your head on a ladder accurately doable.  Don't really want to spend more than £100, less would be better. Am currently looking at the Bosch GSB 1800, Makita DHP453RFTK, Stanley Fatmax 18V and the black and decker 18V one. Would really like one with a decent centered chuck.

Any recommendations or warnings much appreciated.

Best Regards

picclock

« Last Edit: October 13, 2015, 12:40:00 PM by picclock »
Engaged in the art of turning large pieces of useful material into ever smaller pieces of (s)crap. (Ferndown, Dorset)

Offline Swarfing

Re: Maplin Cordless 18V Lithium drill replacement
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2015, 01:56:15 PM »
In the early part of the year I had to replace my drills as both packed up at the same time. Reluctantly due to cash flow (very little), I purchased a Screwfix home branded Erbauer ER1603COM 18V 2.0Ah Li-Ion. After two months of using it most days i bought the impact driver version. Absolutely fantastic and it is small for the work it can do plus you get two Li ion battery’s with it as well. Build quality is excellent and solid, feels good in the hand. For £80 you would not be disappointed for sure.
Once in hole stop digging.

Offline picclock

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2015, 03:35:48 AM »
@ swarfing.

Thanks very much for the info. I read some of the reviews on the screwfix site and quite a lot had chuck/jamming/wobble issues. Although its a minority, its too close to the kind of problems I was having with the maplin one. After I had fully disassembled that I found that the shaft appeared to have burn marks where it was seizing partly due to wear and also because there was no lubrication. 

Anyhow, I have decided to go with A Stanley fatmax from Argos (£99). very similar spec to the erbauer though slightly heavier, with 2off 2AH 18V batteries. It allegedly has a 3 year warranty ( though not normally for the part that failed IMHO ). Time will tell .. .

Best Regards

picclock
Engaged in the art of turning large pieces of useful material into ever smaller pieces of (s)crap. (Ferndown, Dorset)

Offline wgw

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2015, 06:59:24 AM »
I've dozens of drills over the years, well not quite . I think it's pot luck on the cheaper ones. I got a 8V black and decker of car boot, it is still good and the same battery. My present new one is 18V makita with one 4 amp/hour battery, this is ,so far , a very good bit of kit but not cheap. If you are not using the drill for profesional jobs I would suggest getting just one battery, they seem to last longer this way.