Author Topic: Lufkin 513  (Read 2433 times)

Offline Ron W

Lufkin 513
« on: October 15, 2015, 10:59:26 PM »
I have a question. I recently purchased a used Lufkin 513 depth gauge. It worked freely but had a little rust on the spindle and sleeve so I dismantled it and cleaned the rust off with some well worn 400 grit water paper and some WD-40 as a lubricant. I tried to re-assemble it and can only turn the sleeve in about a half inch before the thread seizes. I removed the rod and tried again and the same happens. I have flushed out the threads as well as I can see but the problem remains. Obviously something is trapped in the inner threads, I suspect inside the sleeve. Does anyone know if it is possible to further dis-assemble the sleeve and the spindle so that the threads can be exposed and examined. It looks like it is press fitted but I am not sure and have so far been unable to find any information as to how they are assembled. :doh:

Offline sparky961

Re: Lufkin 513
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2015, 05:39:27 PM »
Pictures might help.

Have you used compressed air to clean it out? If you can it may dislodge anything unseen.

Another thought is that you may have inadvertently tightened the nut that controls the tension on the threads.